imgayforwomen

Level 110
byewilliam
byewilliam
Rich
SPORTS.png

Opinion Piece: Sports Teams
E. Blackburn

During recent, and likely past times, the sports teams have been faltering. Majorly. This is Eichi Blackburn, as you all know, one of the school journalists. The sports teams of Karakura High School and Community College are losing their reputation. Let’s run through them all first.

Football - One of the most popular sports in Karakura, at the moment, being one of the few sports that are still at least, somewhat, recognizable. Football is known to many as the “jock” team, their reputation going further than any other team. Out of all the teams that are struggling, football is struggling the least.

Cheer - Cheer is the support for all teams. They’re there for every team, cheering for their respective group (Bobcats v. Spartans). Cheer seems to be doing okay in itself, but with the lack of events with the other teams, is leaving them with not much to do other than practice.

Volleyball - Volleyball is known to most as one of the few original sports in Karakura High School and Community College. Volleyball goes back decades and decades of history, likely beating the other sports.

Basketball - Basketball, I would personally say is the most active sport. There is a lot of competition between the teams, though the teams and the sport itself, does not seem to get the recognition it deserves.

Baseball - Baseball, seems to be one of the few most irrelevant sports. Unfortunately, as fun as the sport may be, not many pay attention to baseball, paying no mind to the sport whatsoever. Those who do, are able to enjoy the sport, and lucky for them, our school has teams!

Track - Track is not just running on the field, it’s much more. Long Jump, javelin, hurdles, etc. It may not be the perfect sport for many, but for some, it is a very enjoyable sport. Plus, you get to learn how to jab someone with a spear. Personally, that sounds very cool.

Swim - Swim has to be one of the most underrated sports in Karakura. Swimming generally gets overlooked, which is kind of disappointing. The swim teams, at least from my interactions with them, are much, much more fun than they seem.

Great. Now you know about every sports team there is in the school! Time for my opinions.

The sports teams of Karakura High School and Community College get overlooked majorly. As far as I can tell, football is, and likely will always be the top sport. However, that does not mean the other sports do not get as much appreciation. Many of the other sports lack good leadership, causing the team itself to falter. Better leadership NEEDS to be put in place if teams want to thrive. The only people who can choose captains, are obviously, the Senior Leadership Team.

The teams, however, are also to blame. Many teams question why they lack members or why no one cares about their sport. This is up to the team, and the captain. It is not the Senior Leadership Team’s job to ensure that your team is active and bonding. That is entirely up to your team, and your team only. Captains should understand who and what each member is capable of, and each member should know their teammates well. What is going to happen if your teammate barely understands you during a game? I am also not only talking about teamwork. Team bonding is also a priority. This is up to the captain. Set up hangouts or something! Be like Ryo Saiky, or Mookie Aldridge. Build a bond with your team so they are all friends.

Another thing is the rivalry. Yes, friendly competition is obviously needed in a situation like this, however, sportsmanship is also a thing. Be friendly with your opposing team, don’t be all rude all the time. Be willing to play with them if they would like to, encourage them, don’t flaunt your skill, because honestly, no one cares if you’re the best player if you’re an asshole. Bobcats and Spartans, even though being rivals, should be civil with one another. Yes, obviously you can advocate for your own side. You can be like “Hey, we’re gonna beat your team in tournaments!” but don’t be like “You guys all suck, HAHAhAHAHAHAH!” No one will like you, not even your own teammates.

Most importantly, interact with OTHER PEOPLE. Don’t stay cooped up in your team house all day, actually go and get to know people. When your captain asks why your team isn’t getting recognition, it’s because you don’t try to get recognition. No one is going to care for a sport that they barely know about, or a team they’ve heard of three times in their entire academic career.

Am I being harsh about this? Absolutely. But am I correct? Only time will tell. Teams are dying, and they need to be revived. The only way they can do that, is by actually trying to revive it.

Again, this is Eichi Blackburn, signing out!

nebulosi

Level 15
fortitudo
fortitudo
Rich
Cheer - Cheer is the support for all teams. They’re there for every team, cheering for their respective group (Bobcats v. Spartans). Cheer seems to be doing okay in itself, but with the lack of events with the other teams, is leaving them with not much to do other than practice.
real

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega

SAY IT LOUDER. I'M SO TIRED OF HOSTING EVENTS NO ONE SHOWS UP TOO

DrainingFeeling

Level 59
DrainingFeeling
DrainingFeeling
Omega+
Swim - Swim has to be one of the most underrated sports in Karakura. Swimming generally gets overlooked, which is kind of disappointing. The swim teams, at least from my interactions with them, are much, much more fun than they seem.
swim team ONG . .

Users who are viewing this thread