players online

School Suggestion

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
+1/-1

As a school nurse, I have noticed how detention can be seen as boring, though as Cloud and several councilors have stated above, this is already a thing. Though, it's not used most of the time due to the fact that's stated above by Rini. Doing a simple task and leaving is so the player themselves isn't restricted to a boring section of roleplay for their ic actions. Detention is an icly punishment for your characters, so they learn there are consequences to their actions- what I don't believe above is saying to change up detention for oocly means. There is nothing wrong with the current way detention is set up besides the possibility of adding new tasks due to the same three tasks being there for almost three years, but, if you believe it's boring enough to switch up the rules and ways of roleplay then don't get detention.
Every time I see task I think of among us

Mark 9:42

Level 19
Back when I was a teacher/professor, I never gave out one of those stupid papers. Detention was always a lot more fun when you try to figure out why the student is so pissed.

Messing with them is also fun too.

philbertman42

Level 137
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
Oh, what ever happened to my accepted suggestion of adding more tasks...
Maria asked for task suggestions in the faculty chat, maybe she didn't get enough or any of good enough quality. Or, maybe she never got around to it and eventually just forgot about it altogether. Am salty about that too, I listed some BANGER tasks, she only liked one of them ):<

I've been ranting about this in LOOC during/after detention aand in the faculty chat for years now, detention has always been boring. I won't beat a dead horse and repeat what other people have said, scroll up and you'll find more than a few great arguments.

I would like to mention though, this would require active effort from the faculty side. A lot of faculty members have trouble dealing with troublesome players already, and giving these players more of an opportunity to make things more difficult or potentially even FailRP. Additionally, if players are always given the same new "alternative" tasks as always (such as cleaning, exercise, etc) they'll eventually get bored of those, too. It's easy to fall into a rhythm and eventually optimize roleplay that you don't inherently care about (similar to what has happened with the current state of detention), meaning that unless these alternate punishments are always varied and different, at least one side is going to get bored eventually.

A suggestion that I have for any faculty members for something you can already do to make detention much more personalized and realistic is actually try and work with the students in a way that is humane and kind (and not dictator authoritarian "DO THIS OR I'LL GET YOU FUCKING SUSPENDED!!!!"). Take on the role of "guidance counselor" and actually talk them through the student's issues, understand the full context of the situation, be interested. Even if you aren't experienced in giving advice, just try to have a conversation as though you're speaking with another human being, it's much more engageable and interactive for both yourself and the student this way.

I've done this on both my teacher and councilor accounts, and I've experienced some cool moments of character development from the delinquent side. 100% recommend, even if your character is notably mean or uncaring.

Hamburger

Level 186
LocalHamburger
LocalHamburger
Fundraiser+
Staff can give students other sorts of work during detention already (sometimes). When I was a teacher, a fellow staff had a student clean the toilets with a toothbrush.

KayLoon

Level 23
KayLoon
KayLoon
Notable
A suggestion that I have for any faculty members for something you can already do to make detention much more personalized and realistic is actually try and work with the students in a way that is humane and kind (and not dictator authoritarian "DO THIS OR I'LL GET YOU FUCKING SUSPENDED!!!!"). Take on the role of "guidance counselor" and actually talk them through the student's issues, understand the full context of the situation, be interested. Even if you aren't experienced in giving advice, just try to have a conversation as though you're speaking with another human being, it's much more engageable and interactive for both yourself and the student this way.
I wish it was that easy, it's impossible to roleplay with half of the people in detention because they either failrp, avoidrp, or simply just AFK
There was a reason for this...Little PESTS decided to enter detention!! And we...The exterminator must destroy them, break their will to return to detention, and make them fear it. Make them feel alone...

Well, I hope you guys liked my speech :D, oh right +1 to the suggestion, bring some tasks...That don't require a lot of brain power

Minobu

Level 218
Minobu
Minobu
Notable+
I’ve had times where I’ve gotten detention and an SLT gave us sponges to clean the bathrooms

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Reviewed

- We may look into making some of the tasks easier, however the whole point of the tasks during detention is to discourage players from intentionally getting detentions.​

Users who are viewing this thread