Yipp1e
Fundraiser+
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN): Yipp1e

DISCORD NAME & TAG: Homunculus#8128

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: EST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: N/A

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: yes

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER: I’ve been a member of the community for more over a year now. I play on two different accounts, one of which a college student then this one. Due to my work schedule I tend to be on in the afternoon time I get out at the time when most people would be leaving school. I’ve been in multiple different types of roleplay situations such as gang roleplay, flash events on the server and more. I try to be as active as possible whenever I can and for the most part I try to build slow plot development with my characters, most of the time role playing in groups but also sometimes enjoying a solo roleplay by myself.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Shinkan priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?: Shintoism has no real founder because there is no ancient text behind the religion, the religion is focused around kami and in the religion kami can be found in anything of nature, whether it may be a flower or a tree. Yokai are a evil version of kami, It is believed that people are always in good faith and bad people come from evil spirits, these spirits are the Yokai. Priests and other individuals may offer trinkets dear to them and money to the kami, no words are needed to be exchange as Kami don’t require them instead you make Bow deeply twice then clap twice at a shrine with your offering. This as of now is all the knowledge I have and I am excited to grow the extent of it even further.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Unlike others, I try to grow out my characters in different ways. Most people will have multiple characters who act the same and hold similar personalities. I try my hardest to take new characters I create and not just focus plot around their own world but the people around then aswell, I love to try and grow different plots outwards and try new things with new characters. I find it exciting to learn a whole new topic both in character and out of character. I’ve played characters who are bad people and aren’t very likable by other peoples characters but do try and have people like making plot with them, I’ve played some that are good people and hold a good story. I wanna extend my range even more outwards and am honestly just excited to be able to learn something new while role playing it out with others creating a slow but satisfying plot.
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?: Yes and I’m pretty excited to start learning the lore and the procedure on different ceremonies, spirits and more.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Toru Karwai

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 26

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Chinese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: 030-726-6574

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?: I grew up believing I was the golden boy, my family always told me I would grow up to win prizes and guide the best of the best through life, but I never wanted to be a prize winner and I’m not a guide, I’m someone who wants to be guided and In return help however I can. for my whole life my family has been guided through prosperity and fortune and I feel the thing I can thank is the kami of fortune, Ebisu the only thing I wish is for my brother to have been guided along with us. I feel the only way I can repay the fortune I’ve been given and the life of my brother that I become the guide my family wanted me to be and guide Kami to a better place, and yokai to a place where they can no longer harm. I want to protect people in a way I couldn't protect my own brother, I feel if I can do this then I may be able to repay the disservice i did to him.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I do not have the most knowledge on the Monastery but i do know that construction began and finished during June in 744 but the building was sadly destroyed in a fire. the monastery began for Buddhism but soon changed and as of the current moment the Kami living within the Monastery is known as the Yama-No-Kami. This is my current knowledge but I am excited to learn even more about It!

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
To Inari Kyohanashima

It is with great pleasure that I write you this letter to request a position in the monastery as a priest. Of course this is not me forcing you do not take this the wrong way! I am recently moved into town and have heard chatter of the monastery and even done a bit of research at the library. I have a past with Shintoism and would like to grow my knowledge even more, Shintoism has helped a lot in life and thanks to the kami Ebisu I’ve been blessed with a life of fortune and I wanna be able to help people prosper! I am not a busy person, I visit the shrine in my spare time whenever I can but usually you can find me walking around town just taking in things, the trees are beautiful around this time don’t you think? Well, you don’t have to write back a answer I’m sure we can discuss over a meal if you would like, my treat! I’m running out of paper now so I shall stop, I hope this letter reaches you nicely!

Continue to grow prosperous!
Toru Karwai

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Toru grew up in a family of 4, himself his mother his father and his older brother, Gurren Karwai. They grew together in a upper class home, Toru was praised by the family stemming from good grades, popularity in school and more accomplishments academically. Gurren was the of his brother, he was the class trouble maker he never got good grades, he never got the praise he desperately craved from his family. Gurren began too spiral as Toru rose. Toru turned 18, and Gurren turned 19. Toru turned 19, and Gurren stayed 19, his life was taken from him in a motorcycle crash, driving under the influence. Toru was devastated, he soon became the one spiraling out he could no longer focus on college or anything at that matter. He wanted too see his brother, and so he did whatever he could, even if it meant interacting with spirits, Toru began his path down Buddhism slowly he gained more and more knowledge each day, soon he began to learn of the religion Shintoism and ideas of evil kami and kami, his knowledge began to spread towards kami and Shintoism, he began growing his knowledge farther and farther where he soon learned that family who passed become kami and become ancestral kami, he knew the kami of extraordinary people were shrined to be remembered so In his apartment he made sure to keep a small shrine for his brother, making sure to offer to the shrine and pray at times. Toru was always seen as the guide by his family but he no longer wanted to be a person above everyone, all his life he had been blessed by fortune, a loving home and everything he could ask for, he could only thank his family and the kami Ebisu. Toru hated the thought of others living below one another, everyone at one point in life must be guided and must guide, it is a way of life. Toru continued to grow his knowledge of Shintoism and recently moved to Karakura a few months ago, and I now learning about the monastery from chat around town and the library, he continues to guide who he can and be guided, continuing life as is.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?: A Priests main task is to keep a good relationship with the kami and to the people who worship and grant offerings, they conduct a lot of activities in the shrine such as overseeing purification rituals and possible tea ceremonies. The priests other job is to go out into the city and interact with the civilians, this does not mean preaching and lecturing those about kami, the priest is there to keep a relationship with kami, they do not need to be spoken too in offering or anything as they do not require words.

Maidens are allowed to go out and interact however, most of their tasks lay in the monastery. There main tasks are to preform morning and night rituals, hold tea ceremonies with different civilians and also partake in cleaning of the monastery.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
It is important to start with a bow to whoever is there waiting for the individual, you must then wash both of your hands and mouth in the nearby basin, doing so by scooping water with a ladle, starting with your right hand and pouring into the left and Vice versa. You will then wash out your mouth by pouring the basin water into your mouth, then spitting it out onto the rocks.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
The most common way to offer to a kami is by giving a item you may hold dear to you and want to offer and attach it to noshi paper then filling out the paper with the item it is and your name. Offerings differentiate depending on beliefs in Shintoism so these offerings may vary.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
A tea ceremony is preformed at a tea house, it is important to make sure everyone is cleansed before beginning. once begun whoever is holding the ceremony must clean each utensil used in a precise fashion and brew the tea of charcoal fire. The tea made is then poured and first served to the most important person present, the person may raise the bowl to show respect and then sip and compliment the tea. The tea is then passed around to taste you must not drink from the front of the bowl however. This ceremony is not about the tea but it is about making a bond with the host and guests.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Each of these items is used for a form of ritual at the shrine and hold a great power in them

A Ofuda is a charm/ward that is usually a slip of paper or card that is said to bring fortune and give good luck to individuals, it holds great power and can be found and bought at shrines and temples in Buddhism and Shintoism.

A Kagure is used in ritual and is a stick that has 12 bells on it, these are used by priests in ceremonies and also by maidens in a ritual dance known as Kagura which means entertaining the gods.

Tamagushi is a stick from a tree known as Sakaki it is usually decorated with cloth, silk and cotton and is usually used at weddings and funerals as a offering.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Yoru would worship Ebisu, one of the Japanese seven lucky gods and the kami of fortune, luck wealth and prosperity.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread