DISCORD NAME & TAG:
Coatuh !#0666

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
CST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes! I have a working microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I’m usually on every day for at least 7 hours a day.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I’ll be applying for the Maiden role.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

Though I don’t have much knowledge about Shintoism, I still did my best to research it. I’m very prepared and willing to learn more about the religion! So far, I’ve learned about some beliefs, origins, symbols, facts, and rituals, but I’ll be focusing on the origins and key beliefs! (If any of these are incorrect, I’m still learning!)

Origins; Shinto, unlike many other religions, has no original founder, at least one that has been recognized at all. Though, people of Ancient Japan worshipped what are described as divine ancestors, communicated with the spirit worlds through shamas, and held animistic beliefs.

Key Beliefs; Though, there are a good bunch of beliefs, they usually all sum up to Purity, Harmony, and Reverence for Nature.

Purity and Harmony; In Shintoism, they promote purity and harmony in life itself. It’s thought that humans are good, but evil is caused by evil spirits that make them not so good. In Shintoism, the evil spirits are kept away by the Kami in return for prayers and offerings by the people who partake in Shintoism.

Reverence for Nature
; In Shintoism, nature is a very key detail in everything. Not only do people who practice the religion worship Kami, but they also worship Kami that are connected to natural things like rivers, the sun, the wind, etc.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
First off, my very high activity within the server, is what a lot of factions want in a member. I’m also a very hard-working person and will be available whenever I’m needed, as well as me being very outgoing and friendly with others, it doesn’t matter if I know them or not. I’m a very easy person to get along with and love making new friends and meeting new people overall! Other than all of those personality traits, I know for a fact that I’d be very devoted to the role of Shrine Maiden, not just to the role, but also to researching and learning more about Shintoism whether it’s on my own time or if it’s through what I learn in-character with my shrine character.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I do acknowledge that I will have to attend mandatory training to be taught more about Shintoism and its procedures.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Aoife “Calico” Corbin O’Sullivan
("Calico" C. O'Sullivan)

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Miss

CHARACTERS AGE:

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Taken

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Irish-Italian

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
030-573-9081

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
ICLY REASONING
While Calico has been in Karakura since she was 17, she’s been into crime, in school faculty, and as a reporter for the Karakura news. Though, after a long while of being a gang leader and a reporter, she recently realized that for years she hasn’t been as involved in crime as she used to be. Calico, now grown out of her gang/angst era, turns a new leaf and starts to change the way she talks, acts, and even looks. Calico wants to be a better person and is choosing to learn about Shintoism in hopes to become a Shrine Maiden. She wants to live a peaceful and good rest of her life while she’s in Karakura.

OOCLY REASONING
After being a part of the Teacher, School Faculty, EMS, and Reporter factions, as well as the Track Team during my two and half years of playing SRP, I’ve always wanted to join the Shrine faction, but never had the motivation to look into it until recently. Joining the faction has always been a goal of mine, not just to be in it, but to learn more about Shintoism through my own personal research, but also information that I’ll be learning ICLY with my character. During my time in Shrine (if I do end up getting accepted), I look forward to learning more about the faction and religion itself because I do find it genuinely intriguing.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, one of the oldest, still-standing structures in Karakura, was first built by Buddhist monks in 744. Though there’s an older shrine that had burnt down, due to the belief that it was built the closest to the heart of the Kami, only one building was left standing because it was placed under protection which allowed it to survive.

This wasn’t the only fire linked to the monastery, this place had burnt down exactly two times in its history. The first time it was burnt down, there were Buddhist monks that held a rebellion in 1176, but luckily, the monastery was rebuilt in 1228. 350 years later, the monastery was once again burnt down, but this was to send some sort of message to the Karakura citizens because of the riots that were being held to go against the holder of Japan. Sometime after in 1617, the monastery was once again rebuilt and still stands unharmed to this day.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,

My name is Aoife Corbin O’Sullivan, though I more publicly and popularly go by Calico. Originally, I was born in Ireland with my two brothers, I’m the middle child. When I was about 17, I ended up getting sent to Karakura in hopes of having a safer place to grow up, or more so to be an adult according to my father. Unfortunately, I had to leave my brothers behind and come alone, but that didn’t stop me from creating my own family of O’Sullivans here in Karakura.

Upon arriving in the city, I didn’t really believe in any kind of god, nor was I religious in any way, even if I did have a cross-chain, it was handed down to me by my mother who passed away in a car accident when I was just a young girl. All of the anger and frustration in my life made me aggressive and just mad at the world, so I did some bad things to others in hopes of just being happier with myself as a person, but it never worked.

After I realized that this lifestyle isn’t what I wanted and I knew what my parents didn’t send me here for, I turned a leaf and became a Caretaker at the high school here in Karakura. Sometime after leaving the school faculty role, I decided to use my English major and become a Reporter for Karakura News, which was an amazing idea. Though, I found this life way too stressful and I knew I needed to change what I wanted to do once and for all.

Knowing a good handful of workers at the Shrine, I knew just the perfect place to work that would give me a sense of peace and closure. I then made it my mission to learn all I could about Shintoism, their beliefs, rituals, some of the Kami, and even some of the Mythology included in the religion. I’ve taken some time to travel around and see some other Shinto Shrines in person, though I’ve taken a very large liking to this one because I know so many people that work here and due to the fact that I’ve experienced so many positive situations here at the shrine, I would like to do the same for others who may have similar past experiences that I had.

In conclusion, I would love to work here at the Shrine with my friends and hopefully soon-to-be colleagues because I find this area of the city so peaceful and beautiful. I want to help keep spreading the religion with other Shrine workers in hopes that others may want to be like me and join the workers!

Thank you,
Aoife O’Sullivan

BACKSTORY:
Aoife C. O’Sullivan was born in Ireland. Her mother’s name was Eithne A. O’Sullivan and her father’s name was Daniel K. O’Sullivan. Aoife was named after her great great grandmother, Aoife O’Connor. Aoife had two brothers, one older and one younger, Aoife’s older brother had passed away in a house fire which would ruin her future. Her parents never really had the chance to take good care of Aoife and her younger brother since they had lost everything in the house fire. A while later after the house fire occurred, Aoife’s mother passed away in a fatal car accident that left four dead, and Aoife, her brother, and her father still alive to mourn over Eithne’s death.

Aoife was always a hard-working child, her parents were never harsh on her brother but were always harsh on Aoife since they wanted her to grow up and have a good life they didn’t really have. Aoife practiced daily, whether it was with school work, working out to build muscle, or practicing self-defense just in case anything ever did happen to her, she’d know how to defend herself and others. She’d have 2 more years to wait until she was sent to Karakura by her father. Aoife practiced daily while being homeschooled with her younger brother by her father and her uncle.

The time had finally come for Aoife to leave her brother and leave for Karakura. Aoife had waited her whole life so far until she turned 18 to go to Karakura. Aoife was finally ready to move out of her father’s house and into her own apartment to live out her life in Karakura. Though Aoife didn’t want to leave her brother behind since he’d be the only O’Sullivan child left in Ireland, she knew that he’d be okay with their father since he was always well protected by their family members.

Aoife was finally in Karakura, she had to learn Japanese since all they spoke in Ireland was English, but she didn’t mind. She’d then enroll in school where she eventually started to study in Japan, she took an interest in the subjects, Art and English. While studying in Karakura, Aoife made friends and everyone started to call her Calico due to her eyes being two colored eyes and she could only see in grayscale. After staying a while in Karakura, Calico suddenly had to leave and go back home to take care of her family, she was expelled by the time she had left.

While she was back in Ireland, Aoife decided to continue her studies since she knew that she’d be going back to Karakura one day, so she studied as much as she should and every day that she could. She’d then go on to College where she would get a Master's degree, she’d also go to have an English Major and an Art Minor. Aoife wanted to be a Teacher but decided against it. She would always look for school faculty roles to apply for since she’s always wanted to work at the school, so she became a Caretaker.

After quitting her role as a Caretaker in the school faction, she wanted to continue her dreams of publishing her own writing and stories, so she applied to become a Reporter for the Karakura News! Not long after, she quit due to complications and now wants to live a peaceful and fulling rest of her life as a Shrine Maiden in Karakura. After weeks and months of doing research and learning about Shintoism, she’d go to apply to become a Shrine Maiden just like she wished to do for a long while.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

The Priests’ duties are to keep the relationship between the Kami and the worshipper, this is through offerings, meditation of the deity’s blessing to the parishioner, and evocation of the Kami. Priests officiate at all shrine events/ceremonies at the request or on behalf of the worshippers, they hold events like festivals for the new year, weddings, etc.

The Shrine Maidens (or Miko) have the duties of working at the gift shop, keeping the shrine clean and tidy, participating in weddings, festivals, and funerals, and even answering any questions that visitors may have to ask.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

First, you’ll pick the ladle up and fill it with spring water, pouring it over your right hand, then your left hand. Once your hands are cleansed, you’ll place the ladle down onto the Temizuya, cupping the water in your hands before washing out your mouth, and spitting it to the side on the rocks, you’ll lay the ladle back down in the water. This is used to wash off any bad spirits that may have been collected outside of the shrine.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
When offering to a Kami, you’ll first want to place the offering in the Saisen [the offering box], if it’s not yen, you’ll place it to the side of the box. After, you’ll step back to ring the bell behind you to invite the Kami so she knows you’re performing an offering. After, you’ll then bow two times, clap two times, and then say the prayer. The prayer can either be said aloud or in your head, it’ll be heard by the Kami either way.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
First, you’ll make tea how you usually would by putting water into the kettle, allowing it to boil, and adding the tea bags to the water. When ready, you’ll place the tea cups in front of the guest(s) and yourself, placing the kettle in one hand with the spout facing away from the guest(s), you’ll bow your head and pray over the kettle, slowly turning it until it faced the guest(s). After, you’ll pour the tea first for the guest(s), then for yourself, allowing the guest(s) to take a sip first before you take a sip. To any kind of ceremony, the four parts will always be Harmony, Respect, Tranquility, and Purity.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi is made of a branch from a Sakaki Tree decorated with strips of washi paper or silk, it’s also a sign of goodwill! It’s an offering used when offering to the kami, used in funerals and weddings.

Ofudas are made of wood, paper, or cloth that can be placed around homes, home shrines, or even carried around to ward off evil. Ofuda is also the talisman that holds the power of the Kami which also brings good luck.

Kagura Suzu is an instrument of twelve bells used in the Kagura dance, but can only be used by a Miko. The Kagura dance itself is used to entertain the Kami and bring luck with good harvests, this also gains favor.

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread