OUT-OF-CHARACTER (OOC) SECTION

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

wavestalker

DISCORD NAME & TAG:

battlekour

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

EST (New York Time)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

Yes. . . and no. My microphone is terrible. I have to get a better one.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

I am a very active player - whenever I am home, I spend most of my time on SRP goofing around with friends ICLY or doing hardcore DetailRP for some really emotional scene going on. . . or really, whatever happens. Due to school, I obviously cannot dedicate as much time as I can to SRP (actually going to school, homework, clubs, etc.) but I try my best! My friends can vouch I may need to touch grass, because ever since I made my return to SRP after about a 7 month break (due to boredom), I have been super active! My daily schedule is listed below - anything may happen within this schedule, maybe I am going out with family on a weekend or a weekday, or it’s a school half day, but that only happens now and then. Monday through Friday are my school days.

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
I get out at 2:35pm and get home around 3:00pm my time until 9pm ish.
I get out at 2:35pm and get home around 3:00pm my time. I have a club on this day every second Tuesday of the month, and I reach home at about 4:00pm.
Weekend! I usually get on SRP at around 11am - 1pm and play until 9pm, or later if my parents don’t get too angry.
Also weekend! Same schedule as Saturday, but I have to get off earlier due to a school day being the next day. Around 8pm.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

I am applying to be a Maiden at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

My current knowledge is not that broad - as I’m pretty new to understanding the Shrine faction, I admittedly do not have the greatest knowledge about Shintoism, but I took the time to research about it and its practices so I can gain a better understanding. Shinto directly translates to “the way of the gods,” and is Japan’s native religion/belief system that even predates historical records - it’s been alongside Japanese history ever since it began. Shintoism is super deeply intertwined with Japan’s nature and landscape and all the changing things about it, being in harmony with the human people who live on it. As a polytheistic religion, people who believe in Shintoism worship these ‘divine spirits’ also known as Kami - and they are usually inhabiting natural elements, objects, places, and even ancestors. Common Kami include ones who are associated with natural features like mountains, rivers, and trees, as well as ancestral spirits. Shinto worship is centered around rituals performed at Shinto shrines - like purification rites, offerings of food and sake (rice wine!) alongside prayers. Shrines themselves are considered to be sacred places where Kami are enshrined and venerated. For example, the main purification rituals in Shintoism are known as Misogi and Harai! The first one - Misogi - involves the act of purification through water, where the practitioners cleanse themselves by standing under waterfalls, in streams, or just using a basin of water. Then the second one stated, Harai, uses things like Shimenawa (sacred ropes) and Haraigushi (purification wands) to ‘purify’ the body and any surroundings by waving or sprinkling them.

Most of the things I know about Shintoism, like I stated above, are rather basic, and if I am to be accepted into the faction, I am 100% prepared to learn more things about the religion! I love knowledge, and learning things is something I will never grow bored of - and since I’ve taken an interest in the beliefs of Shintoism for a bit now, I am very willing to learn as much as I can.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

Although I don’t believe I have anything that would clearly make me stand out over other applicants - due to experience, maturity and whatnot, I am a very dedicated person. This may be the first time I have ever applied to a faction, which frankly, I am a little nervous about, compared to the other applicants who are probably much more experienced than I am. . . I have a willingness to learn! I hold a good reputation in the community, and even though I’m a little lazy at times, I want to try my hardest to get out of the laziness loop and get involved in something I’ve never been involved with. I originally was considering applying for Professor, but after digging into Shintoism and the lore of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, it has caught my eye and I hope to be a part of it - then again, I’m not too sure what would make me ‘stand out’ for this role over the others that have applied, but I’m known for being a very nice and listening person, and that I’m pretty easy to get along with! I really love making friends (I may have too many friends) and I hope to learn and grow with the community and as a maiden. Even if my understanding of Shintoism is pretty limited, I want to be engaged in the community as much as I can, and I hope that makes me stand out somewhat over the other applicants!

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

I understand! If something conflicts with my schedule, I will notify the person in charge beforehand, but I acknowledge that I have to attend mandatory meetings! It’s no biggie after all.

1701031583035.png

IN-CHARACTER (IC) SECTION

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

“My name is Nazuna Kotoya-Croteau.”

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

“Personally, I prefer. . . Miss Croteau, if that’s alright.”

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

“I am 25 years of age. . . I feel like I'm a bit old, even with how young I am. Is that weird?”

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

“Ah-! I’m not married. . . or widowed. Single, actually.”

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

“My mother hails from Mongolia, whilst my father hails from Japan. So, that would make me Mongolian-Japanese, if I’m correct.”

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

“I forget my phone number sometimes. . . one moment. Oh- 030-844-2655.”

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

“A lot of things! First of all, Karakura is such a wonderful place. . . ever since I first stepped foot into the monastery, I couldn’t help but fall in love with the environment and its people. As a child, my father practiced Shinto, so sometimes me and him would recite norito. . . I don’t remember if that was how it was called, but I vaguely remember him and me reciting a rather long prayer whenever the harvest seemed to be dry. . . he would be asking them for their assistance. Although I forgot most of the things I did as a child alongside my father, I still place Shinto in my heart - I feel like I’m brand new at this. . . but doing is the only way to learn, isn’t it? To work at the monastery is like honoring the footsteps my father left for me, and I’m grateful for it. I hope I am accepted - I believe I’m able to be a good maiden, and I hope he’s still watching me as a Kami, proud of me for the path I have decided to take. Maybe he’s smiling at the moment, I wouldn’t know. . . yet I feel his presence watching over me. I hope I can prove to the monastery, even if my knowledge of it is very vague, that I would be a good candidate for a maiden.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

“I may have pulled an all-nighter for this particular one-! Anyways, yes, I did lots of research and digging and reading about this beautiful place beforehand, and what I have learned was the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery was originally in construction and built somewhere within the year 744, which was. . . a very long time ago, by Buddhist monks for a place to practice Shinto. It lived on for a few hundred years, though unfortunately. . . It was set on fire by Buddhist monks having a sort of rebellion, I believe, somewhere in the 1170s- 1176? Yes, yes that year. Apologies for how I’m speaking, oh my, I realize I went a bit too far there - Anyhoo, afterwards, it was rebuilt around 1228. But um, it did go on to last over 350 years! Yet nothing lasts forever, because it returned back into flames to apparently send a message to the citizens of Karakura because of riots against the warlord who held Japan at the time. I feel bad for this poor place, being mistreated and burned to the ground so many times for no such reason. . . but in 1617, it was rebuilt once again and now stands as a historical spot in Karakura for centuries to come. I believe, from when I visited, there's a dojo, a small gift shop, but the center of pride has to be the hall of worship. . . further up the mountain would be the older shrine, and it surprisingly survived the multiple fires - perhaps the Kami had to do something with it, being close to the heart and under it's protection. It's such a beautiful place, every time I go there, it only brings me peace. . ."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

Dear Mister Kyohanashima,

I truly hope this letter finds you well, and that you are having a wonderful day. My name is Nazuna Kotoya-Croteau, and I’ve reached out to you because I was quite interested in going back to my roots on my father’s side and to become a maiden for the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Although you may not know me, I do wish this letter will help you in your decision whether to accept me as a maiden or not. I hope not to ramble too much about my past, but, I believe you should be given a reason as to why I’m so intrigued by the ways of Shintoism and why I wish to join you all. As a child, my father was devoted to Shintoism, and so I was roped into its practices only at a few years old. We lived rather far from any shrines, so I remember my father set up an altar in our living room, and we would offer a bowl of fresh fruit plucked from our farm to give to the Kami. My father always seemed so happy whenever he would do this, and even more happy whenever I would be by his side - growing up after his passing, I unfortunately refused to keep doing any of these practices due it only reminding me that my father had passed away. Yet, now as I’m older and looking back at my past self, I want to redeem myself once more and make up for my past mistake of not continuing what my father started - and joining you all would be a first step in that process. I hold Shintoism close to my heart, and I plan to provide everything I can to this shrine and the people of Karakura.

Thank you for your time,

Nazuna Kotoya-Croteau

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

“If I could wrap you up. . .”

Nazuna Kotoya-Croteau was born in the darkest of night on March 27th, 1998 in a small hospital on the outskirts of Nara, Japan, to a young couple - her mother being named Khulan Croteau, and her father being named Yuto Kotoya. Nazuna never truly understood the entire story of how her parents met, but that was that, growing up in a small home as the only child - she believed she was the only child anyways. She never spoke much about her past, but as she grew up, her father brought her to a shrine for the first time on her birthday. She was only a mere, what, six years old? Nazuna remembers every little detail, the exact shade of red that the torii gate was painted with, a bright vermillion that would glitter in the sunlight once the light hit it at the perfect moment, the black of the kasagi piercing the eyes of anyone who gazed into it long enough, and the height towering above all else in the vicinity - a grand entrance to the shrine, gazing upon those who entered, a sacred space separating itself from the mundane human world. Nazuna could recall this almost perfectly, like that was the only thing she could ever remember.

“If I could keep you safe. . .”

After that visit, she seemed to have fallen in love with every little thing about Shinto. Her father would be there to guide her every step of the way, teaching her about all kinds of Kami and how they would inhabit any type of natural object, that being waterfalls, or mountains, or the trees or rocks. . . he even told her that one of her ancestors may be watching over her right now, making sure she would never end up in harm’s way whenever her parents weren’t there to help her. Nazuna grew up in this lifestyle - as year by year went, she became devoted to Shintoism, offering many things to the Kami, sometimes she would even make sweets to lay at the altar in the family home and hoped one would notice and take it as she sat in front of it whispering silent prayers. Eyes meeting those of the wooden statue, Nazuna sat there for hours upon end, lips curling into a smile as she recited norito alongside her father. She remembered the way he’d look at her, smiling. A big, bright smile.

“And take away the pain. . .”

Yet nothing lasts forever, because in her teenage years, her father’s bright smile began to fade to sadness as over the days he would only get sicker, to the point he couldn’t even stand up on his own. Nazuna watched in horror, her mother watched in horror, as the person before them seemed to be deteriorating physically and mentally. She prayed to the Kami, over and over and over, begging them to let him live, let him survive this terrible fate, yet she believed none of them ever listened. Like that was the fate they had chosen for him. He was leaving the earth slowly in their eyes, and Nazuna could not do anything to stop him. She could do nothing to save him, her mother could not do anything to save him, or the doctors, or the Kami. Standing beside him in his bed, Nazuna held his hand closely, sobbing into the covers. Her father could only weakly look at her, smiling, before the life in his eyes seemed to disappear.

“What am I meant to do. . .”

There was no funeral. Only sadness could be seen in Nazuna’s eyes during those years. There wasn’t much to say, her mother tried comforting her, but it wasn’t enough. Nothing was ever enough. She hated the Kami, hated them more than anything. They couldn’t even be damned to save the one person in her life she cared about more than anything. Nobody was damned to care, nobody at all. As Nazuna grew up, she was cold - cold as ice, most people would say. There was no heart left inside her, nothing to save her. She gave up on Shinto. There was no point in worshiping it anymore, it only reminded her that her father was gone and that she was truly alone in this cursed world. Nothing would be able to bring those memories back to life - and so she was alone inside, nobody to show her it was alright. Those years were her loneliest. What- what was she meant to do? Bring him back from the dead?

“When I look in those tired eyes. . .”

Those years were terrible. Horrible in her head. Those moments, her worst. Nazuna had no hope left those years. Nara wasn’t the place for her anymore, she had thought, before she had found out of a place - a place far from where she was, called . . . Karakura. Karakura City, she was told by a certain someone over the phone, and soon enough a flight ticket was held in her hand as she traversed through the airport, lugging a rather large bag behind her. Nazuna believed this would be a new start for herself, a new place, somewhere to freshen up and move on from her past. And as she stepped into the city, she was alerted by a strange sound coming from the north. . . it sounded like a whistle, almost. It was when she experienced the events of the Kami once more - and that was the moment it clicked in her mind. And it was in those very moments she stood before the shrine, hoping for the Kamis’ forgiveness.

“How do I say goodbye?”

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

“From my knowledge and, err, quite extensive research which has caused my lack of sleep, the priests are responsible for conducting rituals and ceremonies, alongside special occasions! It can be a daily one, a purification ceremony, or a ceremony for a festival, or a wedding or funeral. They are supposed to lead the prayers and chants alongside offerings to the kami. Another duty would be to oversee the shrine’s physical infrastructure, keeping it in good condition to both please the Kami and any future visitors who wish to come to the shrine. Priests are also good at providing insight into any visitor’s questions and concerns, perhaps offering blessings to those seeking the Kami’s assistance with anything. Some priests may in fact educate the public about Shintoism and its beliefs! Then, for the maidens, they assist priests in any Shinto rituals - performing dances to entertain the Kami, play musical instruments if I’m not mistaken, and participate in purification ceremonies. They’re also tasked with cleaning and maintaining the shrine grounds, just like the priests! The maidens are also to interact with any visitors, welcoming them warmly and creating a friendly and inviting environment for them. They are to, err, assist visitors in understanding any procedures for making offerings and rituals! I can’t really think of much else. . . I did try my best to recall as much as I could.”

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

“Oh! I know this one quite well, I’ve done it multiple times before, my father taught me. First, you’re likely going to see a line of ladles made of bamboo or wood sitting near the purification trough, and you’re going to pick one up. Holding the ladle, the next thing would be to hold it with your right hand and then scoop some water up from the trough to pour a little onto your left, letting the water flow over your fingers. . then pass the ladle to your right hand and do the same. This would be the cleansing of any impurities in your hands. While you’re still holding the ladle with your left hand, pour some onto your right and then rinse your mouth of any impurities. Do not swallow the water, but spit it out. After rinsing your mouth, it’s time to cleanse the ladle as well - pour water over the handle and let it floooow down. . . afterwards, you are to put the ladle back where you originally found it. Now spiritually cleansed, you’re able to proceed into the shrine. Of course, I remember the first time I tried to do it as a child I accidentally dropped the ladle. . . oh. This wasn’t the best time to mention that.”

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

“Well - the first thing is to show respect upon reaching the main hall, also known as the honden, of the shrine. You’re supposed to bow, of course, clapping your hands twice before proceeding inside. . . then, with your offering - a few common ones would be sakaki branches, which are evergreen branches that are adorned with shide, food or sake. . . money works as well. With your offering in hand, you are to step towards the saisen box. Hold it out with both of your hands, as if you are reaching out for something, and bow towards the box - this shows you’re making an offering towards a Kami! After that, you place your offering beside or inside of the box, if it’s yen, or if there’s a different place to put it, you put it there. Take a moment - breathe - and offer a prayer, show respect and reverence towards the Kami, and once you are done, you are to clap twice once more and then take a step back. Although there are likely multiple ways of offering to a Kami, this was the one I was taught.”

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

“Oh no. . . I remember the first time I performed one. It was for my mother - um, let’s just say I was a very clumsy child. Erm - right, uh, well the first thing is to prepare your utensils and equipment. The chawan, which is the tea bowl, chashaku is the tea scoop, chasen which - I think is the whisk, natsume which is the little caddy, chakin which is a little tea cloth, and a mizusashi to hold the water. Then, lay them out neatly on a hanagata-bon! You’re then supposed to cleanse the utensils, specifically the tea scoop, whisk, and bowl with cold water and a silk cloth. This is known as. . . kensui! In a kettle, you then heat clean water juuuust below boiling in a kettle. Once everything is prepared, it’s time to start - using the chashaku, measure about 1 or 2 grams of matcha powder and place it into the chawan. Once that’s done, pour a bit of that hot water you just heated up into the chawan with the matcha. Holding the chasen, you are to mix the matcha and water into a paste-like mixture. Then add the remaining amount of hot water that you have into the tea bowl and use the chasen to vigorously whisk the matcha and water together until it’s become rather frothy and smooth. Finally, to serve the tea! Holding the tea bowl in your right hand, place it on your left palm. Offer the tea bowl to your guest with a slight bow, show respect. Then, the guest should accept the chawan with a bow in return. Finally, rotate the tea bowl to avoid drinking from the front - which, usually is the side with a design on it - and take small sips of the matcha. I probably over-complicated it too much, but I’m sure I can do it almost perfectly now.”

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

“These three. . . they’re very important items used in rituals, from what I remember. Tamagushi? They’re sacred - wands made of evergreen branches, or well, sakaki branches. It could be another type though. They’re usually adorned with Shide, or these paper streamers. They’re supposed to be used for offerings in rituals, representing the presence of the Kami and are offered to them as a sign of- um, respect, devotion aaannnd purification! During any rituals or ceremonies, a Tamagushi is usually held by the person leading it, which would likely be a priest. The Tamagushi is raised, waved, and sometimes touched onto objects or offerings to transfer the spiritual essence of the Kami.”

“The next item is an Ofuda, yes? Well, they’re like paper or wooden amulets, or talismans actually, often with very sacred texts, prayers or symbols relating to a specific Kami or shrine. They’re not very large, and they’re shaped like rectangles! I’m pretty sure to my knowledge they’re used as protective charms and believed to bring blessings, ward off any evil presences, and offer a sort of spiritual protection to a person or a household. My home used to have a few of these - my father believed it would help prevent any evil from coming inside. . . oh, how I miss those days. They’re commonly used in homes - small wooden or paper containers or envelopes, and displayed in a place where everyone can see it. We used to have ours at the small altar we had.”

“The last item would be Kagura Suzu - twelve rather small bells made of metal, and are attached to a wooden or metal handle. They come in all tons of different sizes and designs, but it’s really down to the bell itself. They’re mainly used in Shinto rituals, particularly in Kagura dance performances and any other ceremonial activities. It’s- like, when it rings, it’s like a clear and melodious tinkling sound. This sound is believed to purify and sanctify the space where the ritual is taking place, as well as summoning. . . the presence of the Kami! The Kagura Suzu is rung by either a maiden or a priest, and the sound that it delivers is considered to be sacred and sets the tone for the ritual, I believe. To me, the ring of those bells is soothing. . . I could listen to them all day.”

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

“Ōmiyanome-no-Ōkami, as she’s the kami of dawn. Dawn, to me, is like the sprout of a tiny plant reaching its arms out of the earth. A day where anything can occur. . . the sunrise is the most beautiful moment of the day, watching as the sun begins to slowly rise up from the horizon after its slumber. Watching as light begins to come over, highlighting a new day to come. A new day cannot start without dawn.”

1701031583035.png

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread