uenj
uenj
Rich
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

[ACCOUNT IM APPLYING ON]
goobass (I can change my IGN if needed.)

[OTHER ACCOUNTS]
[College][M] goobrrr
[Adult] flclenjoyer

[College][B] NewJersy
DISCORD NAME & TAG:
ryan.#8719
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
Eastern
LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
None.
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes! I do have one.
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I’d say I’m pretty active, you’ll find me on the server quite often throughout the day and later at night. I don’t really restrict myself to a specific setting of roleplay, but as of recently I roleplay a lot of CriminalRP as well as just roleplaying casually with my group of friends. I’m mostly active on my goobrrr account but I’m looking to become more active on the account I’m applying with, hence why I’m applying with it.

Though, if activity is really a concern, do not base it off the account I'm applying on please base it off my account:
goobrrr.
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I’m applying to be a Priest.
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Shintoism or Shinto for short, is the worship of ‘Kami’ which is the Japanese word for ‘God’ which you may be very familiar with in the English language; However, ‘Kami’ is not restricted to just one god, Kami can be ANY living thing. It can be Mountains, Rivers, and even Trees. There is Kami for many things, in fact there are over 8 MILLION different types of Kami, good and evil. I have fairly decent experience with the shrine, I’ve RPed there quite a bit with the Maidens and I’ve learned a few useful things from that. On top of this I’ve been using some of my own personal time to research Shinto and try to learn some new information about it, but yes! I am very much ready to learn more about the religion! I find the shrine to be one of the most underrated places to roleplay on the server and I want to be able to learn more about it!
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
What I believe sets me aside from the others is my dedication and versatility. Throughout my time on the server I’ve played many different types of characters and have played them well. A lot of the time people only thrive in a specific field of roleplay, I am not like those people. . I find it easy for myself to adapt to different areas of roleplay so I do believe I’d be able to meet the expectations of what a Shrine Priest should be. I have already shown dedication to this role just by going out of my way to learn more about the religion itself via videos and various articles discussing Shinto. On top of that I plan on visiting the shrine more often now to get an even better grasp of how things work and are done at the Shrine.
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes! I’m very much looking forward to this too!
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Yogi Hamaguchi
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr.
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
N/A
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-729-0088
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“Why, I’m glad you asked! I’m very much interested in the history you have here at the Monastery. . I wish to further learn more about all the mysteries of this place, as well as be able to teach people willing to learn about this religion. It’s become a dream of mine to be able to educate those wanting to know more about Shintoism! On top of all that, I've seen pictures of the Monastery and might I say... It is one of the most beautiful Monasteries I've seen! I very much look forward to seeing the place in person!”
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“I’ve done very brief research on this monastery, I was actually hoping to learn more when I get there. . There isn’t much material elsewhere, but that’s besides the point. . I’m aware this shrine was built many years ago, as it began construction around 744 BC and was completed around the time of 762 BC. I also read that the shrine was purposely built away from human life hence the location of it. Something else that had caught my eye is that the shrine was burnt down, with the only surviving building being the shrine itself! As I said, I’m not completely well versed on the history of the shrine but I plan on delving further into it once I have the material.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Monastery Lead,

I do hope this letter can find you. My name is Yogi Hamaguchi, and I am writing this letter to request the open position of ‘Priest’ at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. I’ve been very much involved in Shinto since I was a little boy, and it’s helped me through many rough times throughout my life. I remember as a young man I used to visit the Naminoue Shrine on the island of Okinawa and partook in the many practices that went on there. I am in search of a new beginning and I wish to start that here at your lovely Monastery. I only aspire to serve the Kami as I teach others about Shintoism. I do truly hope you can consider me for this position and I thank you for taking time to read this letter.

Best regards,
Yogi Hamaguchi

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Yogi Hamaguchi was born on December 5th, 19XX into a small middle class family on the island of Okinawa. His family was always very into Shintoism, taking their children to the local shrine very often. Being exposed to this at such a young age, Yogi became very fond of it, it became somewhat of a lifestyle to him. While he remained very respectful to those of the shrine, outside of the shrine he was a bit of a troublemaker.

During his early teen years, Yogi had gotten involved with a group of delinquents that he would spend most of his time with and cause trouble amongst the streets. While his family tried to keep him away from the dangers that lay within this group, it was futile as he himself was a wild child. As a child he had always been a hyper kid, though this all came as a surprise to his parents; he had never shown any rebellious signs in the past, perhaps he was just easily impressionable.

It wasn’t until his mid-late teen years where things had gone south. The group of delinquents he had become close with had gotten too much to handle, and had even gotten into legal trouble with one of their members getting arrested. This took Yogi by surprise, he wasn’t a criminal, he was just a kid looking to have some fun. Worried by what was to come next, he had no idea who to turn to; he feared that if he had told his family what happened, they’d look down upon him seeing him as a shameless thug with no set future. He knew that if he continued down the path he was going he would surely end up just like his friend. So, he turned to religion, he decided to stop seeing the people he did and instead spent his free time offering to Kami seeking good fortune and inner-peace.

Years had gone by and his dedication to Shinto had provided good worth to him; he started to perform better in school, good enough to get into college and it would seem that the life he had once had was in the past. In retrospect, he knew that life was just not for him. After he got his degree, Yogi never forgot what his religion had done for him, and wanted to become even more connected with it. He sought out a new place to call home, he had done research on various shrines & monasteries all across Japan becoming fascinated with the history of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery located on the island of Karakura.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto Priests are usually in charge of taking care of the ceremonies, rituals, and overall practices of the shrine. They are seen to be closest to Kami, rarely leaving the shrine. Maidens are not that far apart! They take care of the shrine, and help provide all needs for the Monastery keeping it in top shape! Each role is crucial.
What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Before entering the shrine, you are expected to fill the ladle resting on top of the water basin, after which you can begin washing your hands AWAY from the basin, pouring the water on your left hand before switching the ladle to your left hand and pouring it on your right. WITHOUT putting your mouth on the ladle, you must wash your mouth with the water from the water basin. Cup your hands and pour some water in it, and put the water in your mouth. You should not drink the water, instead rinse & spit on the water on the ground.
How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Offerings to Kami can come in many different ways, though commonly ‘yen’ is offered to Kami via envelope. When preparing the item, you should affix a ‘noshi paper’ onto the item; On the paper it should state the name of the item and the person who is offering’s name on the bottom of it. Once the offering is prepared the individual will be given to the Priest or Maiden and they will place the offering on the offering table and let Kami know that you made the offering.
How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The tea bowl is placed onto the tatami mat in front of you, with its front facing you. Pick it up with your right hand and place it on your left palm. With your right hand, turn it clockwise by around 90 degrees so that its front is not facing you anymore. Drink the tea, only a few sips and place it back on the tatami.
Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi:
This is a form of Shinto offering made from a sakai-tree branch decorated with shide strips of washi paper, silk, or even cloth!

Ofuda:
An Ofuda is a talisman made out of materials such as paper, wood, cloth, or even metal.
Ofuda is an item that is considered to be full of power from the deities and is most commonly found in Shinto & Buddhist temples.

Kagura Suzu:
The Kagura Suzu is a spiritual tool! You see they’re primarily used by Maidens during ceremonies… It’s a little hand held tool with bells on it!

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Yogi worships Yebisu (Ebisu) as well as Izanami and Izanagi.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Thank you for applying to become a shrine maiden. The amount of detail in your app is phenomenal. However, today you are being denied due to your recent history. Feel free to reapply in the future!​

Users who are viewing this thread