mactatti

Level 13
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
mactatti

DISCORD NAME & TAG: possiablyangie Lotus#3632

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: EST ( Eastern Standard Timezone )

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: Yes I Have a microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am extremely active if I were to describe it I’d say, I’m always engaged on SRP partaking in Events and generally participating in roleplaying activities such as classes, going to stores buying items, and more and just being actively playing overall, and if I had to scale it 1-10 I’d say a solid 10!

Schedule
SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
I am completely
free on this day full
out the day! If anything
comes up I will tell in Discord status!
SCHOOL 7:30 AM - 2:15 PM

Swim Practice 4:30-6:00

For the rest of the day I am free!

I am completely free on this day full
out the day! If anything
comes up I will tell in Discord status!

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Shrine Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Some current information or knowledge about Shintoism is that it’s a polytheistic religion meaning there is not one god there are many gods/goddesses called Kami, some other Shintoism information I know is that they go into a church or a temple they go to a Shinto Shrine As theses are the homes of the Kamis. There are also festivals, here are some I know “Oshogatsu” New Year's. I’m also prepared and willing to learn more about Shintoism as it will be not only a learning experience for me but a new opportunity for new knowledge.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
What makes me stand out from the many other applicants is that I’m a person who is determined, Open-minded, and Ready to take on the role of a Shrine Priest. What also makes me stand out is that I’m always available to do training and do activity logs! Another reason to makes me stand out is that I'm always active on SRP Daily Sunday through the week to Saturday, What also makes me stand out for this role is that I did extensive research about Shintoism learning all I could showing my determination.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I do acknowledge I will have to attend a mandatory training to learn more knowledge and information about Shintoism and the according procedures for offerings, and mass events such as festivals.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Nōzan ' Tsuki-Kami ' Selene

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Mr

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 23!

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Unmarried

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030)-014-9073

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My motivation for applying to be a shrine maiden at the monastery is because my Mother was Highly religious and she was one of the influential people I have followed for most of my life. We always visited the shrine on Weekdays after grammar school and on weekends to the shrine for offerings. Then when we were on one of my many visits with my mom I started to get motivated to go more in-depth about my culture and my ancestors and that motivated me to go further into Shintoism. And so I learned more about Shintoism, I went to the Monastery often and offered food and yen to the offerings box. Then I went on to study and learn more about Shintoism and going into its traditions such as Purification which takes place before a major ceremony or event, and Adortion which is bowling at the altar. Overall my motivation is my determination to learn and follow my mother's steps lessons about Shintoism when I was little. I will continue to pursue my efforts in Shintoism ” - Nōzan ' Tsuki-Kami ' Selene

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“ The History of Shinsei Seinaru, there is a lot of it. Let us start with what I know this will start when it was constructed in 774 by the Buddhist monks, It was built in the mountains why? Because Shintoism and Nature mix well with each other like yin and yang. Shintoism is a polytheistic religion meaning we believe I’m not one god but many and we worship and cherish the Kami which the Kami are sort of our guides and leaders that we pray and offer to. But some good things don’t last forever our Monastery went through a rebellion age in 1176 the Buddhist monks controlled the shrine at this point in time. In 1228 it was rebuilt and survived. That is all the information I know so far about our shrine.”- Nōzan ' Tsuki-Kami ' Selene

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

“Dear Monastary Lead,

I’m Nōzan ‘Tskui-Kami' Selene. I hope this letter finds you doing well in your health and care. I’m glad to be given this opportunity for the Sacred sanctuary that I would like to call home.
Before I go any further I’d like for you to get to know me as a person and not some applicant. I’m a very Religious Shinto ever since I was a kid my mother raised me with my family in Kyoto. Every weekend Usally Sunday we went to the Shrine with food and yen and other offerings to give to the kami. This is one of my favorite things I loved to do other than my other childhood memories which mainly is spending time with my family at my asylum the shrine.
Furthermore why I hope you choose me over the other Priest’s is that you do not choose me on what you think of my application I’d like you to consider me as a person and not just some applicant as I do not expect to pass or to get accepted. What I do expect is my application is that we were face to face.
You ask a questions about any concerns you may have like my knowledge on being a priest to anything else here are some information.
I am a Dedicated aspirant that wants to dedicate my life to the fullest extent to Shintoism and the shrine as I find my sanctuary here feeling off like I’m at home with my mother and father still here as they are with me. My mother always raised me as a religious child aswell but that’s off the point.
I am also very Social to fellow people such as Maidens and Priest’s and I’m very easy-going and calm most of the time always available to help out any Maidens or Priest’s understanding on what they do or just helping them with there duties.
I am aswell very responsible this is because when I work on a dutie that I would have to do such as officiating ceremonies and such. I take much pride in what I do always trying my vary best.
Further on why I’d like to join and become a priest is quite simple. Before I evan came to Karakura when I lived back in Kyoto with my parents I took pride on going to the shinto shrine visits we had. But beforehand I met this young male just like me but twice my age, he was a nice, fun loving person that always treated me and my family with respect. He was in-fact a Shinto Priest and he his one of my idols that helped me find my way towards in becoming a Priest.
Now we have reached the end of my letter, I’m so proud and pleased to write this to you. I hope your all and well and I’m so pleased you’re taking the time to read this letter, I hope you understand this letter with the utmost respect for you and the Shrine. I am so thrilled to be a part of the vast majority of Staff at the shrine. I hope we can be good acquaintances in the future.”

Sincerely Nōzan ' Tsuki-Kami ' Selene

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Somewhere in an International Hospital in the Hokkaido region around the year 1999. Room 209, It was rainy but soothing snow would fall onto the window like soothing waves. A woman breathing heavily was about to give life to a new young newborn baby, and this baby was named after his Sister Yammi, and his name was Nōzan, He was a young healthy baby. His parents named him “Northern” or North to relate to the old folklore or legend of what the Northern lights represented when a new child was born from a pregnancy.

His Father and Mother were in awe at his soft baby blues as they were lost in the thought of his baby blues and the cute little smiles he’d do. He would make cute babyish sounds and baby yawns making his mother would sequel.

After a while in the Hokkaido region for a while they then decide to move to Kyoto where the father grew up. They would then reside in an old cultural Japanese home. Years passed and then it was 2008 An 8-year-old Nōzan would be dressed In a kimono that was White and Blue resembling the Northern Lights.

The 8-year-old Nōzan would be getting ready for a visit to the shrine like every normal day, He’d be all ready with his mother, father, and grandmother for their visit to the shrine.

Once he and his family arrived at the Shrine they’d now at the Torrii gates and purifying themselves and they brought offerings a food offering and a yen offering.

After visiting the shrine and offering valuables they would head home.

A few years later Nōzan was an alone child with no friends nor any close friends he was now he was 17 and is now in Kyoto High School. He was more of a shy Teenager but then he had these visions of things, he wasn’t sure about what to say about them but he just ignored them. Then Nōzan’s parents decided to move to once more to a town called Karakura to see family once again. Nōzan’s parents had him and his sister then switch schools for Nōzan. Henceforth also to see the shrine that was there for centuries upon end. Nōzan and his parents went there and he met his grandmother who was his only grandparent in Karakura.

His grandma passed down knowledge about the old Monastery and the new parts and old parts of the monastery in the mountains and Nōzan would never know what was to come with the knowledge he had now about the history of Shinsei Seinaru shrine and more information about the place.

As he was now enrolled and starting his new Highschool journey as a 9th grader at KHS [ Karakura Highschool ] He was the only one of the few people dressed in a traditional kimono, so it made him feel a bit out of place but after seeing some others wearing traditional clothing but modernized he’d feel more comfortable in his new Highschool. After a few periods, he’d meet several people at the shrine. At school, he would go to their library to study Shintoism and his culture. One day as he was studying he came across an old book- That had been in an old Japanese writing form it was called Kojiki.

He’d then study that text about the Karakura monastery he’d then learn the sacred truth from the Monastery and he’d always keep the book stocked in his bag.

A few years later,

They were in the last year of college kuma never asked Yamato out so they never became a couple because after a few days, weeks then months they slowly moved apart. And so when they were no longer in contact with each other Nōzan would instead remember his promise to his mother and the shrine priest he had met all those years ago. And so he decided he would move to another university to go more in-depth from the knowledge from his parents and elders in Kyoto and so he traveled to Kogakkan University to study more on Shintoism to succeed in his best attempts.

During his time in college, he’d then get terrible news about his father who was dead. Nōzan was devastated he’d develop trauma he’d then think about his death every day after he heard of the news he’d feel like it was his fault since he wasn’t there. His father was murdered brutally by someone unknown as no one expected this event to happen when he was still a freshman in college so he had to take leave of college for a while to attend his father's funeral he’d be terrified to see his father lying there. He’d then head to the family shrine and let him rest. He’d then take 49 days to mourn and have days to see his father. After 2 months he’d then get himself back together and head back to college because it’s what his father would want him to do to complete his days into becoming a Priest which that was his dream.

As he arrived back he was determined to learn more about Shintoism and he learned and studied and studied and studied till exams. As exams came closer and closer he would then study more often not Evan attending friend gatherings he’d study and then sleep.

The day of the exam,

As the day of the exam came he’d be well rested and ready to take the exam. As he started to go to the university hall before he went he’d go to his home shrine and kneel down placing it a front of Kamidana then as he finished he’d start to head to the university hall and then study as he walked.
As he arrived he’d take a seat and when the exam was handed out he’d start to take it with all the information he had he would also include some of the Kojiki he learned before and then he’d pass the exam with 100% + Bonuses.

After he graduated college, he’d come out with a diploma from a course in Shintoism he’d bow in front of the vast crowd and walk off the stage in proudness of himself.

As he went home that night he’d travel far ways to the family shrine to visit his father and then pray to his father and show him all of the accomplishments he has made after his passing. He’d then sing an old song about the northern lights.

He then became a priest learning more as he researched within the Karakura Archives of history, and religion during college he went through several tests and he went to shrines to study and talk to the elders learning legends and stories from them. Then he’d fly back to Karakura and apply to be the priest at the SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY then he’d wait for the results to come in checking his mailbox every weekend. Awaiting…

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto Priests and Maidens Duties have various duties that they need to complete on a daily basis! Such as the Priest is one to host ceremonies and festivals such as Wedding officiations, and funeral officiations. Maidens however have some other duties such as Music & dancing for the Kami to appear, Certain offerings, or certain tasks they will need to do instead of a Priest. To get exact on what duties priests and maidens have, the priests are in charge of officiating all shrine ceremonies on behalf of the people who request them. Maidens although have to assist with the shrine's functions & perform ceremonial dances, offer omikuji four-tune telling, sell souvenirs, and assist in Kannushi.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
  • First, upon entree to the Shinto shrine, you must bow at the Torrii gate and the water basin showing the utmost respect for the Kami and keeping evil spirits away.
  • Now you have to clean or purify yourself from any evil beings so you would hold the wooden dipper with your right hand to pour water onto your left hand.
  • Then you would switch hands getting the wooden ladle on your left and pouring the right side.
  • Once more you will switch your hands again but this time cup your left and pour water inside.
  • Finally, after pouring the water inside your cup, you would then also use it to rinse your mouth.
  • After this process you are now finally cleansed and ready to enter the shrine/Monastary free from any otherworldly beings or spirits that are unwelcome.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Food Offerings
  • Firstly a worshipper of the Kami would come to the shrine and bring a food offering to the Priest.
  • Then after the Priest has the food offering he’d have to purify himself.
  • And then Finally, he’d try his very best to follow the tradition to the best of his ability.
Yen Offerings
  • Firstly you should know how much Yen you will bring, you could have any amount such as 5,000/50$ for gokitch but there isn’t a certain amount.
  • Then after you know how much you will bring you will have to the Shrine Staff or a Shrine Priest.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
  • Well, first to perform a tea ceremony ritual you will have to invite guests so the “Host” will have to send out formal letters to people formally inviting them to the ceremony.
  • Then you will have to prepare. And so you will have to make the room spotless and there is a flower arrangement somewhere, whilst the guests are arriving and going through the purification steps to prepare themselves spiritually & physically.
  • Once the guests have arrived make sure you bow at them showing not only respect but humanity, and you as the Host will also offer sweets to the arriving guests one by one.
  • Then you will have to Purify the tools that you will be using, and so the Host will start to cleanse the Tea ceremony Utensils cleansing them one by one using fuksha.
  • Now after that, you will have to prepare Thick Matcha. So the Host will prepare koicha ( Thick Matcha ) firstly the host will use 2-3 scoops of Matcha tea and water before whisking it with the Chasen till it becomes foamy. It is then servers to the first guest, then the second, and so on and so forth. This will happen till there is no tea left to be served.
  • After that, you will have to prepare Thin Matcha also known as usucha about a teaspoon of matcha and one cup of water. It was also served like the Koicha.
  • Now after the usucha, the host will start to clean the clean chawn ( tea bowl’ which would be handed to the guests to admire, and then they’d pass it to the others.
  • Finally, it was time for the end of the Tea ceremony, the Host would then guide the guests out blowing at each one as they leave. After the Tea ceremony, it's customary for guests to thank their host for hosting such an event!

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda, and Kagura Suzu are and what they're used for:
Tamagushi

A Tamagushi is from a sakaki-branch and is always decorated with Shide strips of washi paper, silk, and or Cotten. It is mostly used for events or ceremonies such as weddings, funerals, and other ceremonies of Shintoism. It also can be ritually presented to the Kami.

Ofuda

Ofuda is a slip of paper or card and is a talisman made out of various materials such as paper, wood, cloth, or metal. They are commonly in Shintoism and Buddhism, and they are considered to have the power of the deities or the Kami. They are used to exorcize supernatural beings and create barriers. It can also be hung on a wall.

Kagura Suzu

A Kagura Suza is a bell that is hand-held and is made with 12 bells attached to it, it is made out of various materials such as . It is used for multiple reasons. It is used for the Kagura Dance and other performance's and such.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
N/A

Extra Info-

Please note I did some research beforehand And I still have lots to learn.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to limited space. Almost all applications are written by those as determined as you are, which is more than admirable. Your backstory was an interesting read as well, thank you for taking your time to apply.​

Users who are viewing this thread