SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
wethnt

DISCORD NAME & TAG: w*s#0028

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: PST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: I have none.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: Yes, and the quality is clear.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am fairly active, as I have multiple accounts. Due to my work schedule, this does mean I am mostly only able to log on during the late morning or afternoon in my timezone. However, I am on for a good amount of time almost daily (usually depending on if I’m tired from work or not).
I also have characters in various statuses of the city, meaning I feel I am able to play a wide range of character concepts, a shinto priest now being a new one I’d like to take on.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
As stated before, I would like to apply for the Shinto Priest position. I’d like to apply to be a Gon-Negi in particular because I’d like to be a younger priest.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have done a small amount of research prior to making this application, but of course I am willing to learn more about Shintoism. My current knowledge of Shintoism barely scratches the surface level, but I am continuously in the process of doing more research.
I don’t know much about the actual lifestyle of those who fall under Shintoists, but I do know the origin and current worship state. An important thing to note is that there is not one specific God that is worshiped; there is not one singular omnipotent being in Shintoism as opposed to various other religious ideals. Every Kami in Shintoism specializes with their specific element, and cannot bend to follow laws of another, as that is what I’ve gathered from my research.
As time passes, I will continue to elevate my current knowledge level.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I currently have a couple characters who give occasional visits to the monastery because a couple of them are lacking in faith; religious faith specifically. However, it would feel redundant if every single one of my characters have turned to Shintoism, so a couple of them stay as non-believers with respect for the monastery.
As for me in particular, I value my sense of range in playing my characters. I play people of different backgrounds, different mannerisms, etc. None of them feel like a character redone with a different name. Once I am comfortable in a place my characters are, then I can start developing minute details I want that make them feel more humane and relatable.
I value good writing; characters that are likable, but can still be flawed. Character flaws are actually so important to me. I’ve seen RPers make their characters almost omnipotent with perfect physique, perfect intelligence, etc. and that isn’t something I like doing with my characters. They have flaws, they’re human.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, of course. Honestly, I’d like to get to know more about Shintoism in general, so this seems like a learning process all around, especially for my writing and sense of improvising when it comes to these kinds of scenarios.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Aaravi Kon Aika

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Lord Aaravi

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
N/A

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
‘Zero, three, zero, Space. Seven, eight, two. Space. Eight, zero, two, two.’
[(303)-782-8022]

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
Aaravi owes a lot of their life and their mindset to the moonlight given to them by the moon Kami. They like to find the beauty in everyday things, and occasionally think of ways to immortalize them. However, these phases last for a short time when They remember They could be hurting the environment. They tend to personifize mundane aspects of life, and think of inanimate objects as one of the same as themself; one with feelings, emotions, and memory.
They want to become a Priest in this shrine in particular to remind those around them to treat the mountain and the earth with kindness. As much as they try not to, they will unconsciously gatekeep the worship of Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto, the moon Kami, as it has special personal meaning to them. However, They still do wish for the moon deity to be treated with utmost respect and kindness.
It’s one of the few things they're conflicted about.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
‘I was told before that the monastery was originally built in 744 (a long time ago?!?) and dedicated to those who follow Buddhism, but was later changed due to a wildfire destroying the building.
As a result of this fire, the monastery was rebuilt, and rebranded under Shinto supervision. I assume this is to pay respect to the mountain kami, Yama-no-Kami.
The paying respects thing is just merely an assumption, but the mountain is just so kind in letting us reside safely for our worship that it’s the only thing that makes sense to me.’

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
‘Dearest Kannushi,
I’m very excited to meet you, as I’ve heard so much about this gorgeous place in this bustling city.
I’ve had my rounds, visiting the shrine and wandering around, exploring and conversing. As one can assume, some townsfolk don’t take very kindly to newcomers, but you do eventually meet those who are welcoming and open. I hope you welcome me with open arms as your new priest, so we may move forward together to improve the lives of the community.
I hope you are in good health, as I pray for the safety of others, and this letter finds you well. You may find me at the fishing pond if you wish to see me beforehand.
I personally don’t eat meat so I never partake in the act of fishing itself, but I do enjoy watching the fish swim around in the pond, with an occasional cameo of a wild fox. One might find this as relaxing as I do, so you are welcome to intrude at any moment. Though, I don’t wouldn’t consider it intruding!
Sincerely, Aaravi’

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Aaravi grew up in an upper middle-class family, though their economic status was something they never took advantage of. They do remind themselves that this allowed them to have the luxuries of the choices they make today; an example of this being that they’re able to live freely, travel freely, but leave as little of a carbon footprint as they can.
This mindset was instilled upon them from such an early age, that it affected their motivation and their choices growing up (as childhood usually does).
Aaravi had never struggled regarding money, meaning their parents had to find some way to keep them humble, not allowing them to form habits they cannot eventually break. This is when they were taught the way of nature, something around them that they should consider a living creature as they do themselves.
They were put to work, something Aaravi doesn’t mind. They were made to do manually laborious tasks with their parents; thinking of it as a way to teach them humility and work ethic (a couple lessons Aaravi would consider they’ve taken very well). The family considered this their way of giving back to the community and taking care of the earth. This inspired Aaravi to become a vegetarian at 15 years old; they thought of it as ‘I care for the Earth, and the Earth returns the favor to me.’ This is a personal choice for them in particular, as their family are still meat-eaters.
Aaravi’s parents did fall under the shinto umbrella, but considered themselves followers of it; never expecting their child to take the next step in their involvement (being a priest). However, they are extremely honored.
Due to their background working close with the earth, Aaravi had decided to pursue the art of pruning; the cutting of a bonsai tree as a form of maintenance. However, they were never granted time from their daily rituals to do something they find relaxing; which had them pruning late into the hours of the night. This is where they learned to value the moonlight, and the moon deity. They would walk around at night, letting their eyes adjust to the dimness of the town. They found it relaxing; finally, they could relax.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

‘The staff of the shrine each have a common goal, which is to maintain the respect and connection that the people have to the kami. The priests are NOT meant to preach or lecture at all, since they are not considered of any power to the kami. They are merely a tether in the relationship of the people and the kami, allowing for us to continue appeasing them the best way we can.
The maidens around the shrine are usually there for maintenance of the Shinto rituals, and are considered somewhat of a lower-level than the priests. However, this does not mean they are not essential to the balance of a shrine, as they also do a ceremonial dance along with sacred cleansings.’

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
‘As one will notice, the entrance of the shrine has a basin of water; those entering the shrine must use the ladle to wash their hands and cleanse themselves of impurities.
However, one may also notice the lack of people rinsing their mouths before entering the shrine. Should we tell them?
I think someone should. . .eventually. . .’

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
‘So, there's actually a couple different customs of offerings, depending on what exactly is being offered. If there's any offerings that aren’t food, they have to be wrapped in noshi paper (unless they’re secured in a box). The paper has to have a written description of the item that’s being offered on top, and your name written on the bottom.
If there's money being offered, it has to be put safely in an envelope. A specific envelope is preferable, but you are able to use a regular letter envelope in place if necessary. Then, you take the envelope and write a phrase essentially translating to ‘ceremony fee’. See, the term ‘ceremony’ is used because money offerings are usually reserved for private ceremonies.
There isn’t really a rule to how much you’re supposed to offer, but the usual amount is at least ¥5,000.
One may wonder how their offering will get to the kami they’re giving it to, which is where the priests come in. We act as the bridge of communication, essentially. The offerings come, and we make sure the kami knows who it’s coming from.’

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
‘Bear with me for a second, it sounds more complicated than it is.
As there usually is for ceremonial rituals, a specific etiquette has to be followed; down to your clothes and hand gestures.
Guests are summoned to a tatami room, only about five at a time. There, they are required to purify themselves before being greeted by the host. The host then ritually cleanses each utensil, and places each guest in a specific arrangement of the room. As I said before, etiquette is important. After that, the host starts prepping the tea; in between this time, bows are exchanged between the host and the guest receiving the tea.
They then bow to the second guest, and lift the bowl towards them. This is a gesture of respect. Remember the etiquette. The guest then takes a few sips from the bowl, but must be sure to NOT drink from the front of it.
They compliment the host, wipe down the rim of the bowl, then pass it to the next guest.
This whole process continues until each guest has taken a sip from the bowl.
The purpose of this whole ceremony is to create inner peace and a bond between the host and guests.’

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
‘Tamagushi is actually directly translated to ‘Jewel Skewer ', this is in reference to the tree branch being a vital part of the ritual, i.e. the skewer. See, the branch is decorated with strips of washi paper, or sometimes silk or cotton, and this is presented as an offering to the kami.’

‘An Ofuda is what the west would like to call an amulet or a talisman. It could be made of wood, metal, paper, or cloth. These talismans are said to be embedded with the power of the kami. Something the west would probably call a ‘good luck charm.’

‘Kagura Suzu refers to the bells that are used in the Kagura dance, performed by the shrine maidens. There is not much to explain about this besides the layout of the bells.’

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto; the Kami of the Moon- Aaravi had never felt a sense of control for most of their life, but was allowed this chance during the night. During the day, there are responsibilities to be had with too many spectators. In the moonlight, there is peace in the city. There is silence. And, there is freedom.
For this, they thank the moon.

Kaya-no-hime; the Kami of Vegetation, Grass, and Fields- The grass and the fields is something Aaravi grew to find beauty in; vineyards, orchards, forests, meadows, etc. They value the grass and the earth, and consider it a huge part of who they are today.
They thank the earth and the fields for their own personal growth and for supplying them with sustenance every day of their life.

Kuebiko; the Kami of Knowledge and Agriculture- In Japanese mythology, this kami is represented as a sentient scarecrow that cannot move. This is already how Aaravi sees everyday objects of life, but they can find ways to celebrate.
They thank Kuebiko for providing their knowledge of the earth, and protecting their plants.​

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application based on the level of detail put into it. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread