Ikuzushi (Main)

DISCORD NAME & TAG:

ikuzushi

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

Mountain Standard Time

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

Yes I do.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

Fairly active. I joined this server a few years back but stopped playing after a few weeks. I decided to rejoin at the end of last December and have been playing almost daily. Most of my free time is spent on the server as I usually log on to roleplay and explore the history of the server. My activity is mostly spent on my main account which is in the sport faction, being apart of a sport team allowed me to explore a roleplay experience I wasn't too used to beforehand. Now that I’ve played for a few months, I’ve wanted to join a Faction to further expand my knowledge of the server. I know if I do end up being accepted, it'll give me a opportunity to experience new things on the server.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

My knowledge of Shintoism is surface level.
That said, I don't know as much as I wish I did about religion. I know the basics of the spring and autumn festivals, the rites of passage they hold when a child first enters the shrine. Another passage is the wedding ceremonies (called a wedding before the kami). Shinto funerals are rare. Kami translates into god and spirit is a misleading word choice. Although, the history of Izanagi and Izamani in the religion is something I find fascinating. My main goal in applying is to learn more about Japanese culture and Japan's religion.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I admittedly don’t have as much knowledge of Shintoism unlike the rest of the applicants do or the experience they’d have as this is my second time applying for a faction role. I believe that I would be dedicated enough to the faction. My ability to be active, the energy I could put towards the faction. Joining this faction would be the most interactive and fascinating way to learn about Shintoism. I hope that if I get accepted, I can show that I’m capable of this role.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes I do. Learning about Shintoism is the thing I’m most excited for.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

"My name is Zenjirō Yamagawa"

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

“Mr. Yamagawa, but I prefer not using a title at times so just Zenjirō is fine.”

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

“I am 36 years old.”

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

“Divorced. . actually- It’s not something I enjoy thinking of. .”

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

“Japanese. My family lived in Ainokura and later moved to Karakura while I was young.”

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

(030)-032-2987

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

“My mother was a shrine maiden during her lifetime, I want to make her proud in the only way I can now. She was kind, her time as a shrine maiden was her happiest moments of her life. However, I wish to move forward with my life aswell. . I've kept myself frozen in time far too long. I hope becoming a priest will give me a fresh start in life. . And help me abandon the life I once had before Shintoism came into my life. I understand that my past choices and actions would make me unworthy of the Kamis’ favors in life. I wish to atone for my sin. . starting with becoming a more honest man.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

“My knowledge about the shrine is very surface-level. The story of the blessed kitsune that fell from grace is a fascinating tale. The Kami called Chiharu-Yamatsumi, the Kami that protects these mountains, is a kami I greatly respect. I know that during the Kamakura Period, Buddhism had more influence than Shintoism. Unfortunately, Akatera Monastery and Kisune Monastery were burned to the ground. The shrine was burnt down and was rebuilt, giving it the current name we have today. When I first moved here, my brother and I visited the shrine frequently. However, the shrine is unlike any place in Karakura. It was peaceful and beautiful to the eyes when I was younger. The shrine is enchanting- I didn't realize I was rambling. I hope I wasn't boring you much. The shrine is beautiful. .”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

[!] A neatly placed envelope sealed by red wax was on the table. A feather sat directly on top of the envelope nicely. [!]

‘Dear Shinsei Seinaru Monastery lead

I hope this letter finds you in good health. My name is Zenjirō Yamagawa. I am writing to you today to express my interest in a position as a priest at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. I know my actions in the past would make me unworthy of a priest title. Life doesn't stop for anyone, and I've thought about my future for months, I believe the life I am asking for is the only way I can move forward to redemption. It is true that the shrine has always piqued my curiosity as a citizen of Karakura. I hope I am finally ready to start a new chapter in life as a priest. The Monastery has a special place in my heart since childhood. I am sure others feel the same way. I hope becoming a priest would show that I'm capable of redeeming myself that many others before me seek. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
Zenjirō Yamagawa’

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Zenjirō Yamagawa was born on July 12th, 1987. He had a mundane upbringing, being raised by his loving parents and having two other siblings in Ainokura, Japan. During his childhood, he was as normal as any other child. He spent most of his time with his mother at the shrine where she practiced Shintoism. He had no issues with making friends. It wasn't until a few years later that Zenjirō's life changed. Zenjirō was six years old when his mother woke him up at midnight. His mother packed everything he owned and gathered up her children. He was far too tired to understand anything besides him walking past his father, refusing to acknowledge him.. Once he left the house, his siblings were also there. After that, his life was on the road afterward. He never had a place to call home. On December 11th, they moved to Karakura where his grandmother lived. His first years in Karakura were nothing to make note of.

A few years later, he turned 14. He finally enrolled in Karakura High School. The time he had in Karakura High School was for studying. His dream was to run a business. He had a few friends he talked with daily. Frequently, he took trips to the shrine with his brother. It was the one place that reminded him of his hometown. His mother was always evasive about the move, and Zenjirō had nothing but questions. Why did his father never visit? Each time he asked, the annoyed looks his siblings gave him whenever Zenjirō spoke of their father. The question was often dodged by his mother. The looks from his siblings he got when he asked made him avoid the question altogether. One day, when he was 16, he was visiting the shrine. He met a group of people, and two stood out to him. Their names were Kiyori and Enji.

Gradually, as the months passed by, they became great friends. Enji was talkative but a troublemaker. It was easy for Zenjirō to become friends with him. Kiyori was difficult to understand. She always had her walls up with him. That never stopped Zenjirō from trying his best. Every day of his life was shared with the two, getting the two out of trouble or studying. He never bothered to complain. Over the months, one thing still bothered him.. There was a change in Enji and Yor’s friendship. Their bond was different. It shouldn't have bothered him. But it did, and it bothered him each moment he shared with the two. Was this nothing? Or did something change? That stayed in the back of his mind for months.. Zenjirō never realized that there was a change within himself either. The way Kiyori made him feel.. The way she made him smile. He only saw what he allowed himself to see. Each day was a
cycle. He was jealous of Enji and then upset that he was until his brother teased him for liking Kiyori, which snapped him out of those thoughts. He liked her. That was obvious enough.

Those feelings he had continued. He kept them to himself for two years. They never disappeared, no matter how much he wished they would. One thing that did change was that Enji and Kiyori were no longer as close as before. Was this a blessing in disguise? But he had more things to worry about.
Graduation day was approaching, and he needed to think of his future. His two friends had plans, and he was unsure about his plans. Kiyori’s plan surprised him the most. She planned on leaving Karakura. And she's moving to Tokyo to continue her studies. It was a good plan. He should have been happy for her. His confession time was limited. He knew that, and he needed a plan desperately. So he thought it over, finally confessing to her after two years. It was nerve-wracking for him.

‘What if she didn’t feel the same way? What if this was all in his mind?’

Those thoughts were the only things in his mind. He waited two days, making sure that his confession was perfect. The day came, and surprisingly, she felt the same.. Even after he failed that confession, weeks passed, and graduation day came. Zenjirō and Kiyori managed to keep a relationship going even with the distance they now shared. Zenjirō decided to attend Karakura Community College and pursue a business degree. Enji would go to the same college. Truthfully, Zenjirō never saw Enji around, and the fact never bothered him. All Zenjirō could focus on was his studies. Eventually, he finished Karakura Community College, getting his degree in business. His next step was to move to Tokyo for his relationship with Kyori.

Moving in together was their next move. Maybe it was too soon for anyone else, but it felt right for them. They rented an apartment together, and Zenjirō worked in an office to pay the bills while she did her degree. His work wasn’t fun. But it worked. He planned to start his very own business soon in the future.

But their life in Tokyo continued, even welcoming a baby boy named Kishin Yamagawa. With a new addition to their life, they decided to rent a home. Zenjirō did his best to give Kishin a decent upbringing, telling him stories of when Zenjirō’s mother would bring him to the shrine. Those stories weren’t enough for Zenjirō, and he convinced his mother to visit Tokyo for his son. It took a few years to convince his mother to stay permanently, December 2nd, 2020. His mother agreed. Late that night, Zenjirō drove their car from the airport back to his home. Unfortunately, he didn't notice that a car was speeding towards them until it hit. The impact from the crash ended up killing his mother, and the driver who hit them. Zenjirō was the only one who survived the ordeal. A month passed. He woke up in the hospital. His son, Kishin, and a doctor were the only ones by his side.

Once Zenjirō was discharged from the hospital, suddenly he was spending more time in isolation within his bedroom or slugging away at the bar. He wasn’t much of a drinker before, but it was apparent he needed something to numb the pain, to direct his attention by fooling his own mind somehow. Why did he survive and not his mother? What if he paid more attention? Could he have prevented it? Zenjirō was never fond of sadness, it wasn't like him nor in his nature. He wanted to radiate happiness wherever he went, just like his mother. Weeks passed, and the days weren’t registering anymore. It all felt the same, as if a record player cartridge struck down, leaving him within a loop he began to mold into. Zenjirō had plenty of talks with his family over it, this feeling gave him bad habits that affected his living; far from recognizable.

Eventually this caused him to get fired. After that, Kiyori got Enji to speak with him. He didn’t know they still talked. Why wasn’t Enji talking to him anyway? Kiyori and Zenjirō’s marriage began to fall apart in the meantime. They argued each day to no end. Zenjirō was far too gone to realize.

One day, he came home from the bar. The two began to argue more than usual, it was pointless tears and scouting bouncing off the walls. She wanted him to stop, to go to therapy over this, to be the man she once knew. Something snapped that day. Perhaps it was the alcohol. What Zenjirō does know is that he blacked out. One moment, he was talking, and the next his wife was on the ground. She was in a fetal position on the floor. It was like she had boxed in on herself, unaware of anything else around her, a pool of blood formed underneath her. He gagged at the sight of the small pool of blood, the scene was too much for him. Did he do that? It was an accident, right? He could never hurt anyone. Zenjirō ran towards the bathroom. He tried to clean the blood off his hands but he still saw it. The scene replayed in his mind over and over again.

Zenjirō was scared of himself. He did not want to believe that he was capable of violence… It simply made no sense to him. How could he do this to someone? Someone he loved nonetheless! What kind of person was he to do that? There was no way to come back from this. There couldn’t have been.
He had to prepare himself.. The sight was too much, but he had to do what was right
He gathered enough courage to rush out of the bathroom. And towards his wife. His son was now by his wife’s side, desperately attempting to stop the bleeding. He felt like puking. Blood’s always been a sensitive topic for him. Zenjirō picked up his wife. However, he rushed towards his car. He needed to be quick and drive fast.

The hospital visit felt like hours to him. He needed her to be okay..
An hour passed by before he was allowed in the hospital room. Kiyori was alive, barely but still alive. He was ecstatic.. His wife was okay. It was almost perfect until a doctor entered.

“I’m sorry, but your child didn’t make it. .”
Child? She was pregnant? Was she?

He was a monster.. he caused this.
Months passed by, and Kiyori left the hospital. Their relationship was never the same.
The divorce was quick. Zenjirō had no reason to fight it. Why would he fight it after what he did? Now, Zenjirō’s days are spent in a hotel room. His time was limited, and he knew that. His money was going quickly, but he deserved this fate. Good people don’t do this, good people don’t cause their unborn child to die. His life was frozen in place.. Until his phone rang, it was Enji’s number. His thoughts were racing once he saw it.
“What do you want from me?”
He thought out loud. For a moment, he considered picking it up.. He wanted to, he wanted to hear his best friend’s voice.. Eventually he did pick up the phone.

Six seconds passed, both of them refused to speak.. Finally, Enji spoke.
“Zen. . What happened? Kiyori told me you two got divorced.”
Zenjirō was silent.. What could he say? How does he explain this?
“We. . Had a fight, got divorced- that’s what happened. We were better off- not together anymore.”
“Is that the truth Zen? Is that what really happened?”
Enji sounded annoyed. He didn’t wait before asking another question.
“What about Kishin? Why aren’t you with him?”
“I- we just. . We just fell out of love! That’s it, I promise.”
Zenjirō’s voice began to choke up.. He covered his mouth, as he forced himself to calm down.
“I wish.. I wish you’d tell me the truth.. Did you really hurt her?”
Zenjirō stopped responding.. So, Enji spoke more.
“Your silence is proof enough Yamagawa.”
Enji’s words were cold.. Enji had every right to be angry.
“You caused enough. . Leave her alone for good.”

Enji hung up, that was the last time they spoke.

One month later
He accepted this life, and he was going to reminisce about the past until he couldn’t anymore. He scrolled through his phone, looking at old pictures until his eyes landed on a number.. His grandmother’s number, Hiromi Yamagawa. All he did was stare at the number, a part of him wanted to call her. Would it change anything if he did? His wife left him, his son hated him. Does he deserve to be redeemed? Zenjirō swallowed his pride, and called his grandmother.

Ring.. ring
Until.. Finally she picked up.
“Zenjirō ..? Oh, is that you?!"
For a moment, no words came out of his mouth.. What was he trying to do here? He coughed.. Finally gathering the ability to speak.
"
I- yes, I wanted to. . check up! How long has it been since we last spoke?..”
His voice was quiet, no longer having the spark it once had before. However, Hiromi spoke once more.
"I
'm extremely surprised to hear from you, I haven't heard much but I've hoped you've been well! Have you been taking care of yourself?"
He felt horrible for even feeling a bit of happiness over her asking a question like that.. It’s been so long since he last spoke to anyone.
"I'm okay. . decent at most- How's life in Karakura been? I'm sure you've had your hands full."
Hiromi’s voice was always a safe place for him. She was his grandmother, it was expected.
"I've been wonderful! I'm sure you've heard but I've been taking care of little Ryujo and he's been doing a lot better since.. well the incident with his mother.. He's just like his her.. loves the shrine monastery too!- Oh oh, you should come visit!"
Ryujo, his cousin. He missed his family, would they want to see him? Even after what he did?
"The shrine? Has. . Ryujo been doing any better? What happened to his mother was- It wasn't the best, and visit? I wouldn't know if I could."
Himori spoke, her tone sounding more worried.
"Zenji..? Is something wrong? Are you feeling ill..? There's something off about you, something that wasn't there when we last spoke. Are you okay?"
His thoughts began to race, he didn’t deserve anyone. He didn’t deserve his grandmother. He needed an excuse, he spoke without thinking.
"I'm fine! Really. . There's just been a few- I'm just having some bad luck right now, that's all. It's normal."
"Okay, If you ever need someone to talk to.. just remember I'm always here for you. That's what family's for after all!- and really, you should come visit sometime! Ryujo needs to get to know more about his family too!"
A pause, he was silent.. A whole four seconds passed before he spoke.
"Right, family is important. . I almost- Sometimes I forget that. He's been doing fine right? Ryujo- I mean."
"It's a work in progress but definitely an improvement, I'm sure he'll grow up to be a fine young man, just like you!"

He laughed, it was small but still a laugh nonetheless.
"He's going to become an amazing man one day. . I hope- I hope I get to see that happen. I wanted to know, I just- I want to know something."
He felt proud of Ryujo. That kid was able to overcome his own mother's death. Something he had failed to accomplish.. but he really shouldn’t have felt proud. He’s a monster."
"Yes? What is it Zenji?"
He stuttered through his words. His thoughts began to race once more.. He spoke slowly.
"Has- has Mom's grave been. . taken care of? I haven't- I never went to her funeral so. . I don't know."
"I know... Don't worry, I've been visiting your mother as much as I can.. It's been hard since her passing but I know you've had it worse. -I miss both my daughters but at this point I'd just like for them to be at peace.. I think it would be a lot better if you came to see her."
Himori Yamagawa was so understanding to him that it began to hurt.. She would hate him if she knew.
"You have? That's. . great, I miss her. You're right, you're really right. . Can I even visit her? Do I even- I don't know if I'm ready yet."

"You're allowed to visit your own mother... Take your time, just remember that I want you to see her... and your mother would want the same."
He hung up the phone.. He couldn’t take it anymore.

Another month passed.. in his hotel room. What was he doing with his life? His thoughts eventually went back to the conversation he had with Himori. Was this a sign to go back?.. He decided that he was done being this way. He needed a fresh start, so he began to pack and bought a plane ticket to Karakura.
Moving there was easy. Zenjirō didn’t have much anymore. Himori accepted him into her house temporarily, but getting to know Ryujo was hard.. He didn’t know what to speak about with him. They both lost their mothers but had nothing in common. Each day of his
life was spent at the shrine, writing letters.. He would never send them. That place was comforting to him, with no reminders of his past action.. Only good memories lay there. He found comfort in the kamis. They were the only comforts he had now.

Three years passed by. Could Zenjirō ever be redeemed?.. Redemption
Now living in Karakura. He needed to be a new man. A new start in life.. He remembered the moments he shared with his mother in the old shrine she worked at. Shintoism was important to her. With that thought in mind, he finally devoted himself to Shintoism. He wanted to make the kamis and his mother proud, to feel at peace with his past.

Writing his last letter to the Monastery lead instead.. The letter is not full of regret but hope instead. To this day, he awaits for the answer. Zenjirō Yamagawa will burn away his past one way or another

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto priests (Shinshoku) are to officiate all shrine ceremonies consisting of rituals, and offerings on behalf of the kami worshippers. Priests often live on the shrine grounds.
Any gender can become priests, and marriage is not off the table for them either, and children. A Shinto priest could also be referred to as a sensei. They’re the ones that hold the connections to the Kami and their worshipers. Taking care of the shrine is another one of their duties. The Priests are assisted by the Shrine maidens, and working alongside them is required to benefit the shrine and worshipers.

Shrine Maidens is the term used to refer to Jinja Miko. Shrine Maidens are equally as important as the Priests. Shrine Maiden can frequently assist the priests in their duties. Their duties are similar to the priests, as they can officiate blessings. And offerings. Another role of theirs is the sacred dance. Skills and duties can vary from cleaning the shrine grounds to performing morning and evening rituals. The shrine Maidens may host tea ceremonies. They may sell items, such as paper fortunes and other shrine items. They are important to the shrine hierarchy. Shrine Maidens, like the priests, they're also allowed to leave the grounds. Their difference is that they don't live at the shrines like the priests.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

To enter the shrine, you must follow the steps of the purifying process.
Shinto purification begins with a waterstone fountain at the entrance of the shrine. The purpose of this is to cleanse the person of sin. The fountains are called Chozuya consisting of freshwater or saltwater. This process is done through pouring water into the face and hands. A form of purification is waving a white paper streamer or wand (Haraigushi). A Shinto priest may wave the Haraigushi over the person or object when being purified in a movement known as Sayusa. The Haraigushi is kept in a stand often when not in use.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

Performing an offering to a Kami.
The offerings may differ depending on the Kami worshiped but they’re usually food, drinks (Shinsen), and other items.
The person must give a shrine maiden the chosen item before the offering can begin. Then priests are given the job of offering the items to the Kami by placing them on the table (Hobei). Animal meat of any kind is considered inappropriate offerings. The action of leaving any animal blood is considered inappropriate due to the blood polluting the purification done for the shrine. Money is also an acceptable offering for the Kamis

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

A formal tea ceremony is a hour event that starts with a meal called Kaiseki meal
A strict dress code is in place. The guests must be careful of what perfumes they use and remove any jewelry. While there’s a dress code, the location surrounding the tea venue is important. It’s usually a garden. Stones of differing shapes are often there. Flowers with deep scents to encourage a calm spirit. The traditional tea venue is in a room called the tatami. After a quick bow to the host, the guest must take their seat, Seiza's position is ideal. The rest of the guests must bow, then observe their surroundings, and once all guests are seated. The host prepares the tea in front of the guests. Before the tea begins to be served. A Japanese sweet is brought to the quests. Ideally the sweet is supposed to be eaten before the tea. Once the sweet has been eaten, the head guest can drink their tea. after the tea's finished. The host may ask if they want more tea.If no more tea is given then the ceremony is complete.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi is a Shinto religious offering made from a sakura tree branch.
decorated with strips of paper, silk, or cotton. Frequently, they’re used for weddings, funerals, and other events. Tamagushi is presented ritually to the Kami by Shrine Maidens or Priests.

Ofuda is a talisman.
The materials and purpose used for the talisman may differ. The purpose of a ofuda is to seal spirits or protect against misfortune. Paper ofuda is known as a Kamifuda. They can also be hung on the wall.

Kagura Suzu is a set of bells used in the sacred dance called Kagura dance.
The Kagura suzu consists of a tier of bells held up by coiled brass wires from the handle. Two bells are sat on top, four are sat in the middle. Then finally, six bells for the bottom tier.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Ryūjin
Ryūjin shinkō is a form of shinto belief that worship dragons as water Kami.​

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to limited space, if you choose to reapply don't worry about rewriting your backstory. Thank you for taking your time to write it, it was lovely.​

Users who are viewing this thread