mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

The Great "Pair Of Scissor" Debate

Can you say "A Pair of A Pair of Scissors"?

• Total voters

WiffyBanter

Level 143
KirikoM
KirikoM
Omega
DEBATE:

Good Morning, Afternoon & Evening to School Roleplay Players. Today we've gathered here to discuss the long awaited debate of the century. Does saying "A pair of a pair of scissors" make sense? Now, remember we are not trying to debate whether you SHOULD say it, we're debating whether you CAN say it. There are two sides to this argument, those who agree and those who don't.

Please place your arguments below, but also vote.

Here is some points made by either side to get your gears working, remember either of these arguments could be debated with

1st Argument: "It's Right!"

- A pair means two- But in the English Language scissors (Singular) is called a pair, so using 2 sets of scissors you could say a pair of a pair of scissors.

2nd Argument: "It's Wrong!"

- The reason 1 set of scissors is called a pair is because scissors consist of 2 blades, each being a scissor.

tong

Level 69
psychoment
psychoment
Rich
i am going to let loose...,,,, saying a pair of a pair of scissors SOUNDS DUMB!!!!!! I WOULD RATHER SAY TWO PAIRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prosthettics

Level 40
Prosthettics
Prosthettics
Rich
Everything about this is invalid, a pair of scissors in itself is referred to as a PAIR of scissors because there are TWO blades, making it a PAIR.

Anything can be a 'pair' of scissors so long as it functions properly with two blades in-tact.

If you have TWO sets of scissors it is TWO pairs of scissors, not a pair of a pair of scissors, there are not scissors within the scissors

PROOF:

Dont @ me

Lewk

Level 86
x_z
x_z
Omega+
This attachment proves that a pair means a set if two things being used together. A PAIR OF BLADES BEING USED TOGETHER, CREATES SCISSORS. Banter is wrong, debate is over, we have won.
Yes but if you have two pairs of scissors you plan to use both of them to cut something meaning you are in concept planning to use them together to cut something. So actually, you have not proven anything, banter is correct.

Ducky

Level 7
You may say "A pair of scissors" but "scissors" is one thing, it has a pair of two blades on it, but the scissors itself is one thing.

The right way to say this is a pair of shoes, since you are asking for (one) pair of shoes, shoes being two shoes for each feet.

WiffyBanter

Level 143
KirikoM
KirikoM
Omega
UPDATE:

I have re-worded the "No" answer due to it sounding like we're wanting to know if you think its smart to say- We don't care we just want to debate if you think it makes sense logically and grammatically

R3d-Ish

Level 4
Yes but if you have two pairs of scissors you plan to use both of them to cut something meaning you are in concept planning to use them together to cut something. So actually, you have not proven anything, banter is correct.
In what scenario would you need TWO PAIR OF SCISSORS to cut something. It just makes no sense man!

Xusic

Level 13
Well it’s also like, can’t you say “I see a couple of couples in the park.” TECHNICALLY it’s RIGHT.

Ducky

Level 7
Well it’s also like, can’t you say “I see a couple of couples in the park.” TECHNICALLY it’s RIGHT.
I see a "couple of couples in the park." Is worded with poor English, the right a way is, "I see a few couples in this park" as you need to flow words together, not mash them together.

Users who are viewing this thread