lautturi (alt)

DISCORD NAME & TAG:

caysvie

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

EET (GMT+2)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

I do have a working microphone!

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

My absolute first time joining the server was in 2018, I familiarised myself with the rules and how the server worked back then but I was not quite active within the community, spending all of my time on a Grade-12 role and roleplaying exclusively with my friends and their friends. Years went by and I returned to SchoolRP for the most recent time in January of 2023, having stayed as a consistent player since. In the past 10 months, I’ve been a lot more active in the community than I had been previously. I’ve joined a sports team, the hospital faction and I’ve even gotten the opportunity to try out being a professor and getting a view of the school in Karakura from the perspective of a faculty member. As of writing this, I am a part of the Hospital faction, and I am a part of the College Track team. I have a few characters outside of factions as well, and I quite like spending time on those as well.

As for my general, day-to-day activity; I can easily spend multiple hours a day on SRP. Naturally, my activity does fluctuate, since I am a full-time student. I’d say that I’m at my most active during the weekends, spending anywhere from a few hours to multiple per day.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

I have known of the existence and general information about Shinto since my middle school days, due to the curriculum teaching us about it, but of course, I have yet to learn more about the religion. I have been putting myself into researching more about the religion, gaining a curiosity of sorts after discovering the shrine on the SRP map. I’m aware of the most well-known and basic practices and rituals within Shintoism, as well as the deities being worshiped, also known as the kami. I am also aware of the festivals hosted each year at Shinto shrines across Japan, such as the Spring Festival and the Autumn Festival. Of course, my knowledge is still very, very basic and fairly limited as of right now, but I am always willing, and prepared to learn more.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I cannot speak for the other applicants, since I do not know them in a personal manner, but here are some things that I believe make me stand out for this role:

My curiosity and my determination to learn. As I mentioned in this application, I’ve gained a sort of curiosity and will to learn about Shinto as a religion. Both my curiosity and my desire to learn are a part of what makes me stand out. I would also say I’m quite well-versed in detailed roleplay and the roleplay on SchoolRP in general, thanks to both my current and prior roles, which is also something that I’d be able to bring to the table.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes, I do.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Kurō Hyouga

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

Unmarried.

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

Japanese.

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

030-297-8147

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

“I understand that I may not be the perfect individual to work at the Monastery, if I’m being sincere, religion has not been at the top of my priority list for these past few years. As for these past few years, neither luck nor happiness have been on my side. I’d guess you can say that life hasn’t been exactly smiling for me. ..Enough about that, I’m going to get straight to the point here.
I want a new beginning. A new start, maybe not a new birth, but, you get what I mean, right? My mother… She was always a devout Shintoist, even during extremely hard financial times, she found peace in her religion, visiting our local shrine multiple times a week to pray.

I could always simply go on with my life, keep on working an office job, and visit the shrine multiple times a week to pray like she did. And, of course, I have been. It just doesn’t feel like enough for me. If I’m being honest, I want to get a completely new beginning, which is why I’m applying to work at a Monastery in a whole different city. I want to leave my past behind, and start anew.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

"As unfortunate as it is, I am not too knowledgeable on the history of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, and its history. I know that it was created in the 8th century, around the 700s. The monastery is located in the mountains of Karakura, and it even has an Onsen connected to it. It is considered one of the oldest buildings in Karakura, and has unfortunately burnt down on a few occasions as well."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

"Dear Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Kannushi Priest,

I hope this letter finds its way to you well, and that you are in good health. I am Hyouga Kurō, I currently reside in Tokyo, which is where I was born and raised. I am writing to you today about a position as a priest at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.
I have gone through my fair share of adversity throughout my time on this earth and I believe it would be time for me to turn a new page. Start a new chapter. My mother was a devout Shintoist who sought peace in the Kami. In hindsight, she had found it in them. For the past couple of years, I have been looking for the peace that she had found. This is why I want to do more for the Kami, which is a part of the reason I am writing to you today.
My current situation and employment provide me with financial stability, but it doesn’t feel like it’s enough. I do not feel at peace, nor do I feel content. I wish to find peace and to better myself. I do not believe I can find it in my current situation, which is why I’d like to immerse myself in my religion as much as I possibly can. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,
Hyouga Kurō"

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

4550 characters, 1011 words.

Kurō Hyouga, a Tokyo native, a formerly successful CEO, and now, a humble office worker. He was born on the 12th of June, 1994 to a loving mother and father, and of course, an older sibling.
He had quite the humble, quaint beginning to his life. He originated from a lesser-known part of Tokyo to lower-middle-class parents. Kurō had a normal, uneventful childhood to say the least. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t amazing. He wouldn’t trade it for anything else, though. Both elementary and middle school came and went, there was nothing to note in that part of his life. It was when high school rolled around, that everything seemed to turn on its head, positively, of course.

A 16-year-old Kurō enrolled in a new school, in a new part of town, due to his family having to move. Kurō did not recognise a single face amongst his peers, nor did they recognise him. The unknown which was his new high school, did not seem to be an obstacle for the young Kurō, though, since he hit it off with his classmates almost instantly. However, there was one person, a prominent figure, a classmate, and Hyouga’s future ‘best friend’. Junzo Matsumashi. The two avoided each other for the first year, but something as small as a pencil falling onto the floor, caused the two to become acquainted.

Almost instantly, it seemed like the two were joined at the hip, never leaving each other’s sides. Kurō and Junzo shared all of the same interests, spending almost all of their free time with one another. Endless chatting turned into an idea.

“You know tons’a stuff about tech, right? We could make something! It’s gonna be great, Kurō. I promise.”

Kurō had coding, and messing around with technology as a hobby, which created the perfect idea for the two boys. Junzo was a fairly charismatic fellow, he could market anything easily. These two traits created the perfect formula for the two, and they got to work. Little did they know that they had an amazingly successful idea on their hands.

Years went by, and the 17-year-old best friends turned into 23-year-old co-owners of a million-yen company. The year was 2017, and everything was going great for Hyouga. He had a consistent, and large income, he was even able to give his parents an allowance each month - giving back to them. But, all good things must come to an end, right? Although, the end of Kurō’s success was not caused by something within his control; it was caused by someone he would’ve called a brother, the closest friend he had, his best friend.

Kurō was abruptly kicked out of the company, and Junzo took up the mantle of sole owner. To this day, Kurō wonders what caused him to do it. Was it greed? Very well could have been. His entire world came crashing down, as he was excluded from something that he had built with his own two hands. He was completely crushed emotionally, his "best friend" not answering any queries, and any desperate attempts from Kurō to find out why. Nevertheless, he knew that he couldn’t sulk for the rest of his life, he needed to project his anger, sadness, and general whirlwind of emotions healthily. So, he enrolled in university. The exact thing he had skipped out on, due to his previous success. He was unhappy, but there wasn’t much he could do about his situation but to work himself out of it.

He got a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, a degree that would allow him to get a job easily, but not one that would bring forth happiness. It was almost like a survival decision for him, do or die. He got a job as a Data ****yst at a stock firm at the age of 27, but his job felt robotic. Repetitive. It was as if he had gone into survival mode, and stayed in it for the past two years. But what caused the change?

Well, tragedy did. It struck once more when he got a fateful text message.

“Your mother is very ill, I cannot take care of her completely on my own. Please come home, Kurō.

He dropped everything the same day he received it. It didn’t matter if he had plans, or if it was a simple Tuesday; he had to go. Last-minute train tickets led him back to his childhood home, where his mother lay ill. Kurō took multiple weeks off of work, taking care of his mother full-time. This was where he began to visit his local shrine again, the exact one he would visit with his mother as a child. Every day, he prayed to the kami. He held out hope that they could save her.

Unfortunately, his mother succumbed to her illness. Her death and the ongoing stress of his repetitive job threw Kurō into a depression, which caused him to renounce his religion for a short time. In his time of grief, he discovered old photos and memories of his mother. The contentment she had achieved in life. These caused him to think about his religion, the religion he was raised with, and the one he had put his belief in for all of his life. It caused him to put more thought into the situation he was in, and where his life was at the moment. It wasn’t money, nor any material goods that brought his mother happiness, it was her family and her beliefs.

Seeking the contentment that his mother during her lifetime had found, he began going to his local shrine daily. It didn’t feel like enough for him. He still wasn’t content, he still wasn’t happy. It could’ve been the fact that he was seeking happiness too hard, but he never seemed to come to that realisation. Instead, in his desperation, he decided to look for a monastery to work at, feeling the never-ending need to escape his current life and start again. That was when he came across Karakura and the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto priests, also known as Shinshoku or Kannushi, have the duty of officiating ceremonies for worshippers. Different from a priest in Christianity in the sense that they do not preach, instead they act as a middleman between the worshippers and the Kami, communicating any prayers or inquiries to the kami for people. If a worshipper wants to offer something to the Kami, it is the responsibility of the priests to purify it and offer it to the Kami. The priests also have keeping the shrine clean as a duty and they often live at the shrine they work at. Shrine maidens, also known as Miko, have multiple duties as well. These duties include the upkeep of the shrine shop, assisting priests in ceremonies and rituals, etcetera.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

The purification ritual one must go through before entering a shrine is known as a type of harae (ritual purification) named chōzu, where a person cleanses themselves at a purification trough, located by the entrance of the shrine.

First, you would start by picking up a hishaku, a traditional ladle, with your right hand and using it to scoop up water from the basin to wash your left hand first, then moving the ladle to your left hand to wash your right. You’d then take a sip from the water to cleanse your mouth, spitting it out, and lastly, you would clean the handle of the ladle by letting the remaining water run down. Afterward, you can set the ladle down and enter the shrine.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

Offerings to the kami generally consist of food or money. Most food can be offered to the kami, most commonly consisting of rice, sake, and different seasonal foods, although they do vary according to the kami that is being worshipped and the shrine. When it comes to food offerings at shrines, also known as shinsen, it is the responsibility of the priests to complete an offering ritual to offer said food to the kami. The food offerings should be visually pleasing, as well as tasty. Monetary offerings, also known as saisen, are common practice at shrines. When performing an offering of money, you should bow before placing your offering into the saisen box. Afterward, you should ring the bell to let the kami know that you are there and bow deeply twice. Next, you should clap twice, before making your prayer, and to finish, you'll need to bow once.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

Japanese tea ceremonies are known in Japanese by two different names, either sadō/chadō or chanoyu. The ceremonies involve a specific way of preparing matcha, as well as a specific way of drinking it. These can be quite lengthy at times and usually, there aren't many words shared during them, since they're meant to be a moment of peace for the guests. These ceremonies are typically held in tearooms with tatami floors. You'd start the tea ceremony by purifying the equipment; a chakin (a cloth to clean the tea bowl), the tea whisk, tea scoop, tea bowl, and tea caddy, and then begin preparing the matcha in front of the guests over a charcoal fire. After you have prepared the tea, you pass the tea bowl to the first guest. The bowl would be passed around the group of guests until each of them had gotten to try out the tea.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

A Tamagushi is a kind of offering that is traditionally made out of a branch from a sakaki tree with shide strips, made of silk, cotton, or washi paper added to the leaves. They are usually presented to the kami during ceremonies, such as weddings, funerals, etcetera. An Ofuda is a talisman used in Buddhism and Shinto, usually made of paper, cloth, wood, or even metal. Ofuda can have many different purposes, which can go anywhere from finding love to protection against bad luck. There are also Omamori, which are a different kind of Japanese talisman, that provide luck and protection. Omamori, even though they are different from ofuda, might be considered a portable version of them. Kagura suzu, or simply suzu, is a set of bells that are used when doing the kagura dance. The kagura dance in itself, is a type of ritual dance within Shinto. The Suzu consists of three sets of bells, two on top, four in the middle, and six at the bottom, which are held together by a coiled brass wire.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Kurō would worship Omoikane, the god of wisdom. Kurō has always been one to strive for knowledge, always feeling the urge to know more about a specific topic and working toward getting more of a complete picture of the world surrounding him. He has always had knowledge and wisdom as a goal in life for himself, which is why he would worship Omoikane specifically.

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to limited space. Determination is shared by all applicants, which makes it a difficult choice. Thank you for applying​

Users who are viewing this thread