mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

tips for unique ocs?

Squidjees

Level 64
Squidjees
Squidjees
Rich
I have a lot of basic ocs, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for making unique roleplay characters?
Unique tropes, appearance, personality, I would appreciate anything!

ilovemyplane

Level 91
ilovemyplanex2
ilovemyplanex2
Omega+
Honestly?
It can be their name, their appearance, personality, etc. I typically grab personalities that are inspired from other media and mix them with others (as well as my personal plans for the character), as well as try to find a skin (via tailors) that is quite eye-catching as well. Names should be catchy too, I’ve seen names like ‘Dame’ Time and whatnot that seem to stick in the community

Valentine_Lols

Level 87
Valentine_Lols
Valentine_Lols
Rich+
For appearances, I usually ask to tailor peeps who have a different shading style or do it myself, personality wise it depends on what traits you want them to have, as in loud mouthed, overly ignorant like how srp jocks are(no offense jockrpers), etc

V_Is_Fruity101

Level 114
Spacetism
Spacetism
Rich+
Making your characters unique, anything could make anyone unique. Looks and traits have been looked at already. Look at the little bit of the "controversial" side of it. Does your character have a disability? Like epilepsy or PoTS or PANS or FND etc.? Or even just Autism or ADHD. This is only suggested for newer characters as lots of research has to go into things like this.

DivingBlues

Level 55
Shrine Lead
Builder
For me what makes my Ocs unique is I base them off some mythical creature or a mix between them and modernise them. For example my main OC is based off a vampire / witch. She dresses in only a traditional Japanese and Chinese theme and has sharper teeth than normal and is quite common on herbalism. Try take aspects from the world or pieces that interest you and entwine them with your character to make it unique and personalised to you.

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable
Look at the little bit of the "controversial" side of it. Does your character have a disability? Like epilepsy or PoTS or PANS or FND etc.? Or even just Autism or ADHD. This is only suggested for newer characters as lots of research has to go into things like this
if ur adding disabilities (controversial????) to make ur character soley to make a character unique ur doing it wrong

Last edited:

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable
to add some actual advice i’m definitely on the side of leaning towards some more unique characters at the expense for realism a lot of the time… just a habit of mine lmao one of my characters is literally based in the concept of eldritch horrors, but i definitely think some unique design and love put into a characters appearance can really set a character apart from the rest, as narrow minded as it sounds . a lot of people tend to go for making their character as attractive as possible or whatever but i think straying away from that to put more depth into appearance to get across a unique character idea or concept is always a banger

V_Is_Fruity101

Level 114
Spacetism
Spacetism
Rich+
if ur adding disabilities (controversial????) to make ur character soley to make a character unique ur doing it wrong
As a disabled and chronically ill person, it makes me unique. If you're just making a disabled character to revolve their whole life/creation about their disability, it could be ableist in most cases.

Its controversial as quite a few people decide to misinform others about disabilities by playing them wrong

ErikFinster

Level 115
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
You don't have to be innovative or new to do something unique.
Just use a character you already love or admire and tweak one or two things. You'll notice pretty quickly that characters are more than the sum of their individual parts. Pick a backstory, with upbringing, formative experiences and a few select pivotal moments that influenced their belief and behavior.
Define a clear motivation and some goals. Give them some genuine fears and desires. Some additional flaws and vulnerabilities. Some Physical traits, like special hair color, a scar, or an eclectic fashion sense. A few contrasting traits for his personality. One or two unusual skills. And a cultural background. You'll be fine!

SIMPL3Z

Level 98
Community Team
Lore Team
I have a lot of basic ocs, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for making unique roleplay characters?
Unique tropes, appearance, personality, I would appreciate anything!
Characters are always unique, but I'll give u some tips.

Usually what I do when it comes to making something unique or special about my character I just base it on whatever I have or really just something I've seen or read, and expand on there. Think of one of my newest characters: Kujo Yukihiro. I Have basically 0 lore about him written out, but when I bought his base really he just looked like a zombie, so I kind of expanded up on that. Some weird kid who has a rare skin infection that affects his energy bla bla bla (no more spoilers ;) ).

Just take something you like, or perhaps something you watched, read, and expand upon it with just something of your own! you can take as long as u want, cuz really if it's natural that is what makes it unique. And it can go for anything, personality: A bratty person who struggles with poverty because of their attitude causing people to not be generous or upcharge them for stuff in the past. A Unique trope: Usually mental illnesses are a good trope or thing you can use to expand on your character, but also stuff like the way they talk. Their appearance: Do they look menacing? Imperial? Scared? Mysterious? And so on. You get the point by now.

Most important though is that you play the character. If you play a character it gives u an insight if whether u like to rp the character out, or it simply gives you more stuff to add to your character through roleplay. And if u don't like it, you can always make a change. Trying to get a 'perfect character' before u even played them is practically impossible

uta

Level 102
wavestalker
wavestalker
Omega+
this… its weird man…

ngl people question if my characters are on the spectrum but ive never specifically elaborated and nobody will ever know fr. but gives off the idea that solely basing a char off a disability for “uniqueness” isnt how it works lmfao

V_Is_Fruity101

Level 114
Spacetism
Spacetism
Rich+
this… its weird man…

ngl people question if my characters are on the spectrum but ive never specifically elaborated and nobody will ever know fr. but gives off the idea that solely basing a char off a disability for “uniqueness” isnt how it works lmfao
Typically, this would be classed under ableism, as said above. Im usually quite open with my disabilities (Pre-Syncope and Syncope - Getting diagnosed with something within this week hopefully) due to the fact on how it does impact my life to where it can be hard to workout or even walk up stairs on bad days, this isn't a vent, it's just all up to the person and how it's portrayed. No, I don't always say "I'm disabled, pity me" in every conversation, but if someone asks/im having a bad health day, I will bring it up and be like "Yeah, Im extremely dizzy, give me a minute or five."

wethecreature

Level 97
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
to add some actual advice i’m definitely on the side of leaning towards some more unique characters at the expense for realism a lot of the time… just a habit of mine lmao one of my characters is literally based in the concept of eldritch horrors, but i definitely think some unique design and love put into a characters appearance can really set a character apart from the rest, as narrow minded as it sounds . a lot of people tend to go for making their character as attractive as possible or whatever but i think straying away from that to put more depth into appearance to get across a unique character idea or concept is always a banger
your character designs are so cool

Users who are viewing this thread