toxqicw4ste

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
bugfruit

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
Central European Standard Time (CET)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I do.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I joined the server quite recently. On the contrary, since I've joined I've been logged on pretty much everyday. I usually roleplay with my friends, however, I believe joining the shrine would give me the opportunity to be active IC more, which is something I'm looking for.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I am applying for Shinto Priest [Shinshoku].

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I believe I am quite knowledgeable on the subject of Shintoism. I watched multiple documentaries, interviews & I am currently reading a book that is an introduction to the religion. However, there's always more to learn which is also the attitude I have going into this. To answer directly, I am willing and prepared to dedicate my time towards this.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
The thing that makes me stand out in general, is my dedication. If I decide to commit to something, in this case studying of Shinto, I am willing and more than happy to learn about it to make sure my character is as realistic & knowledgeable on the subject as needed. So even if I will be role-playing with a character, the admiration of the religion will be stemming from me as well.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I do.

✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧☽◯☾*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚

IC SECTION

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Hayato Miyahara

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Unmarried therefore single.

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(+81) (030)-810-8429

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My family is a part of many generations of Kannushi and Miko. I grew up in a shrine my family, more specifically my father, manages and serves at. He believes, when a human is born, their destiny is set. In a way, each of us have a purpose. The moment I was allowed to assist him with ceremonies, I understood my purpose. That is, to serve the gods. However, due to an unfortunate disagreement, I had to leave the mainland. Yet, my purpose- destiny hasn't changed. My appreciation of the kami forces me to continue fulfilling it, even if it is without my family.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“I've made sure to study about the monastery as much as I could, prior to arriving. I apologize for any errors, as most of my knowledge comes from an outside source. To begin, it is a rather unfortunate tale from what I've heard. The Monastery was first built in the year 744 by Buddhist monks to provide a place of worship. As the years went on by, the Monastery was a victim of two fires. One in 1176, another in 1578. Despite its set fate, the new Monastery was constructed in the year 1617. Today, it stands strong. Located in the beautiful mountains, peaks of Kohaku, just above the Ochiba forest.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Kannushi of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. My name is Hayato Miyahara and I am writing this letter in search of a position as Shinshoku. I come from the mountains near the city of Kyoto, where the shrine I grew up at also stands. My family has been serving the kami for many generations and I would be honored to continue doing so, in Karakura. As for my qualifications, I attended the Kokugakuin University, the Faculty of Shinto studies to be exact. I have also seen multiple ceremonies, held by my father, take place. I truly hope you find time to consider my application.

Respectfully,
Hayato Miyahara

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

In the snowy mountains of the Kyoto prefecture, a child was born. As most infants do, it began crying just as the ice cold wind from the open window hit its face. As the moonlight rays danced around the room, greeting new life, his mother named him Hayato.

CHILDHOOD:

“They're not talking. If they were, I'd hear it.”

Ever since Hayato learned how to walk and talk, he began his studies about the world around him. His father made sure to teach the young boy about his ancestors, the way of Shinto. Meanwhile his mother focused on arts, as she believed it is the key to mastering the way of life. Combined, it created a nice balance for Hayato. Listening to the trees speak with his father, even though he made sure to let him know he couldn't hear them each time. The Priest just repeated, as always, that it's because he's not listening. Writing poetry with his mother, about the moon, the sun, love and as he got older betrayal. Sometimes, his older siblings convinced him to visit the city, he never really understood what they saw in it, even though he had to admit the sweets were delicious.

TEENAGE YEARS:

Hayato was homeschooled all his life. This changed when he reached the proper age to attend highschool. Much to his dismay, he ended up in a building with a bunch of children his age. Nothing much happened during these years. He mostly spent his time listening to the lectures, trying to avoid his siblings in the halls and writing with the poetry club. He wouldn't describe himself as a loner, he had friends to talk to when he felt in the mood for it. The issue was most of the time he didn't.

At home, he began assisting his father with preparations for ceremonies and rituals. When he was free of his duties, he made sure to spend time with his grandfather or sometimes the daughter of the family that served a local city shrine in Kyoto.

YOUNG ADULT:

After his highschool days were over, Hayato applied to the Kokugakuin University, The faculty of Shinto. His father was satisfied with his decision, paying for his tuition and accommodation in Shibuya. During this time, he saw the filth that polluted the city, whether it was drunkards, criminals or ignorant people treating nature as a dumping ground. This fueled him with motivation and he finished his studies with a master’s degree in Shinto Studies at the age of 23. As soon as he was able to, he returned home to assist his father once again.

Following years, his life was structured around a simple routine. It was like he went back in time, however, when the moonlight enlightened his mother's gray hairs, the illusion was broken.

It was almost time for him to take over the shrine. His father was growing old and weak, barely being able to sit in seiza long enough. However, it looked like the gods had other plans. Maybe they decided it was too easy for Hayato. Perhaps, they were bored, searching for entertainment in the fragility of human lives. Whichever it may be, after a certain incident, Hayato was forced to leave.

That way, he found himself heading to Karakura. A not so busy town, perfect for someone like him. He heard the monastery there is almost able to reach the sun, giving him some sort of hope this city could help him get his old life- family back.

✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧☽◯☾*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*:・゚

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
When it comes to duties, one shrine might differ from the other. However, certain tasks are ‘bound’ to a position. For priests, that is officiating rituals and ceremonies, enabling visitors to connect with the kami. In Maiden's case, they work as assistants with various ceremonies as well as a variety of other duties such as fortune telling, shop keeping etc. It’s important for both to take care of the shrine, cleaning it as well as finding the time to talk with visitors.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Purification is a crucial step before entering the shrine. To begin, one must approach the water pavilion. In certain cases, Miko might approach the visitor with the ladle instead. First step, using the ladle with your right hand, scoop up the water and pour it over your left hand. Next, hold the ladle with your left hand, scooping up the water and pouring it over your right hand. After your hands are purified, scoop the water once again with your right hand, pouring it into your left hand. Proceed to rinse out your mouth with this water. Once finished, spit out the water on the ground/rocks next to the water pavilion. It’s important to never touch the ladle with your mouth as well as returning it where it initially was.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
There’s two ways to do this. The most common way for believers is to use the offering box, saisen. To begin, one quietly approaches the box and drops a coin in it. Five Yen is considered to be rather lucky. After this one rings a bell to greet the kami. It’s important to bow and clap twice before praying with your hands still together. Once finished with the prayer, one bows before leaving.

Sometimes food is offered to kami as well. Believers give these offerings to priests who then perform offering rituals. It’s important for priests during these rituals to handle this offering with respect, making sure their breath does not pollute the offering when passed around. The traditional offerings consist of rice, sake, salt or water.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
A tea ceremony ritual is usually held in a tatami room. On the day of the ceremony, host makes sure the room is clean and all utensils are prepared. The ritual starts once all guests have been seated. It is common for most important guests to be seated closest to the host, however this isn’t always the case. By the time the guests are seated, each of them have their teacup in front of them as this was prepared beforehand. The host then proceeds to bow and begin preparing the tea. The equipment to do this consists of a whisk, green tea, tea scoop, a bowl and lastly a kettle. After scooping up the tea and pouring it into the bowl, the host adds hot water and begins whisking to form foamy matcha. Once done, the tea is distributed amongst the guests. To end the ritual, utensils are cleaned by the host. In some cases the host might provide sweets with tea.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi - an offering in the form of a sacred sasaki tree branch, decorated by washi paper, silk or cotton. This offering is quite common at Shinto shrines, used in weddings, funerals, miyamairi and more.

Ofuda - a talisman, containing the power of kami. These talismans are usually made out of cloth or paper for a specific purpose such as protection against misfortune, luck and more.

Kagura Suzu - a sacred set of twelve bells, used in kagura dances. It consists of two bells at the top, four bells in the middle and lastly six bells at the bottom. It’s main purpose is to catch the attention and entertain the kami during the said dance.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Tsukuyomi-no-Mikoto
The god of the Moon

───────────────────────────────────────​

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to limited space. Add in a little more details on your feelings and passions in the OOC section. Thank you for taking your time to apply

Users who are viewing this thread