Volleyball Roster Increase: SimplyLK

Status
Not open for further replies.

sperst

Level 9
frettrick
frettrick
Omega+
I won't pretend that I know the individual circumstances of each volleyball team, but from an outsider's perspective (specifically, one who has run a sports team and has a lot of experience in factions), this just looks like an issue of coordination and accountability, which is really just an issue that plagues the entire server, not just your team.

The biggest part of the problem is that nobody holds their group members accountable for poor activity. I know I'll be hit with the "SRP is a silly block game, real life takes priority" argument, but this really doesn't hold up; regardless of the subject matter, whether it's in real life or online, when you join some sort of recreational group you are agreeing to dedicate some amount of time to it on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I do think that necessary real world obligations are something that you shouldn't skip out on, and that there are some things which you certainly should choose over minecraft; I just think it's somewhat unfair to the person in charge of organizing your group's activity, meeting, or practice, if you are to not make an appearance when they are expecting you to be there.

However, this isn't just an issue from group members, but their leaders, too. The coordination of groups requires a responsible leader, meaning that they will need to regularly check with their members to organize meetings, practices, etc. that enable as many people to attend as possible, otherwise their meetings will never consistently be full. If you simply schedule meetings every week for the same day and same time, the chance of players always being available takes a sharp nosedive.

There is also the issue of group leaders being averse to keeping their players in check. Nobody wants to feel like the bad guy, but being a leader means you'll need to be responsible enough to deal with troublesome individuals if it gets to that point. If someone regularly ditches meetings or doesn't engage themself in the group to the point where it becoems an issue, remove them and find a replacement.

I feel like I should mention, despite it being somewhat obvious, I am not singling out any specific person or group in this. This is a colletion of my thoughts that I've based on my years of time that I've spent in various factions, leading others, and talking with other leaders. Some of this may apply to some groups less than others, but I genuinely believe they apply to most, even if only somewhat.

In direct regards to your specific suggestion, I think this would be a great band-aid solution to the problem. Sure, if only 5/8 of your team shows up and you need at least 6 players to practice, I'm sure you'd be able to get good attendance more consistently if you were given more roster slots. But really, I think it's much more worthwhile that the server as a whole re-evaluates its position on inactivity, so that it can solve the main issue rather than treating one of its symptoms.

TLDR: It's not an issue of the amount of roster slots which leads to empty practices, but a lack of accountability and (possibly) poor team management.

Feel free to hit me with your finest :nerd: emojis
couldn't have said it better

i don't see how it's hard to organize 3v3s with when you have 8 people.. surely at all of your practice you should have AT LEAST 6, with the additions of subs for the times that some people will need to be filled in for! if they're not active enough to attend practices, why are they on the team?

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
I won't pretend that I know the individual circumstances of each volleyball team, but from an outsider's perspective (specifically, one who has run a sports team and has a lot of experience in factions), this just looks like an issue of coordination and accountability, which is really just an issue that plagues the entire server, not just your team.

The biggest part of the problem is that nobody holds their group members accountable for poor activity. I know I'll be hit with the "SRP is a silly block game, real life takes priority" argument, but this really doesn't hold up; regardless of the subject matter, whether it's in real life or online, when you join some sort of recreational group you are agreeing to dedicate some amount of time to it on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I do think that necessary real world obligations are something that you shouldn't skip out on, and that there are some things which you certainly should choose over minecraft; I just think it's somewhat unfair to the person in charge of organizing your group's activity, meeting, or practice, if you are to not make an appearance when they are expecting you to be there.

However, this isn't just an issue from group members, but their leaders, too. The coordination of groups requires a responsible leader, meaning that they will need to regularly check with their members to organize meetings, practices, etc. that enable as many people to attend as possible, otherwise their meetings will never consistently be full. If you simply schedule meetings every week for the same day and same time, the chance of players always being available takes a sharp nosedive.

There is also the issue of group leaders being averse to keeping their players in check. Nobody wants to feel like the bad guy, but being a leader means you'll need to be responsible enough to deal with troublesome individuals if it gets to that point. If someone regularly ditches meetings or doesn't engage themself in the group to the point where it becoems an issue, remove them and find a replacement.

I feel like I should mention, despite it being somewhat obvious, I am not singling out any specific person or group in this. This is a colletion of my thoughts that I've based on my years of time that I've spent in various factions, leading others, and talking with other leaders. Some of this may apply to some groups less than others, but I genuinely believe they apply to most, even if only somewhat.

In direct regards to your specific suggestion, I think this would be a great band-aid solution to the problem. Sure, if only 5/8 of your team shows up and you need at least 6 players to practice, I'm sure you'd be able to get good attendance more consistently if you were given more roster slots. But really, I think it's much more worthwhile that the server as a whole re-evaluates its position on inactivity, so that it can solve the main issue rather than treating one of its symptoms.

TLDR: It's not an issue of the amount of roster slots which leads to empty practices, but a lack of accountability and (possibly) poor team management.

Feel free to hit me with your finest :nerd: emojis
Though this is completely true, it's not exactly realistic to expect that you'll have the best attendance every practice. Some struggle more than others, personally as a captain, my team had good attendance because I built around that, and remained strict over it, however this is still an issue that occurs relatively often even with really active teams. Because life happens and usually at least 2 people will miss no matter what, and they alter who is missing. Sometimes it's even myself and even as a captain, I would like to think myself as one of the most active members (other than this past week and a half, inactivity.) This doesn't just reflect that we have inactive player, just means life catches a couple people every practice, and it might not even be the same person.

I agree this is a bandaid suggestion, but also logical and fair. The other sports have about 12 roster slots, our team remains tiny as always, would hurt absolutely no one, and only benefit off the increase roster slots.​

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
couldn't have said it better

i don't see how it's hard to organize 3v3s with when you have 8 people.. surely at all of your practice you should have AT LEAST 6, with the additions of subs for the times that some people will need to be filled in for! if they're not active enough to attend practices, why are they on the team?
It sounds easy, but it's just not. I wish it where as easy said as done. Even other sports struggle with the same issue, but VB remains the most difficult because it does require a full 3 on 3 to get that tournament experience. In my experience of playing organized basketball and football, you have 3 positions, 2 positions play 2 guys, so it makes it vastly different when volleyball has 3 positions and only 3 people, with 4 less guys to choose from, if that makes sense.

Tippie

Level 169
Senior Admin
College Sports Lead
Event Coordinator
Tippieeeeeeee
Tippieeeeeeee
Fundraiser+
Reviewed
I cannot give a final decision yet on this suggestion but it will be spoken to with the respective captains and people involved. Volleyball is a game played with 3v3, the team slots are generally decided by (gamesize+1)*2, so for volleyball, this would be (3+1)*2=8. Increasing this to 10 would bring both positive and negative effects. The positive results seem pretty clear to everyone here, however, if all 10 members do show up, which should be the standard, to begin with, what are the 4 players not playing going to do? Having too many slots for a team makes the team unmanageable and not fun for the ones in the sub positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread