Status
Not open for further replies.

stylishcamo

Level 9
Tostjle
Tostjle
Omega+
WHAT HAPPENED TO FANTASYRP??
Been playing SRP for a year now and since a new type of roleplay server came out MazeRP, what happened to FantasyRP? i don't have the knowledge of what was the mechanics of it or any screenshots of the gameplay, i wanna know if you guys have knowlegde about FantasyRP.

robinzee

Level 22
robinzee
robinzee
Rich
I played FantasyRP for a while. It was a whitelisted fantasy roleplay server with expansive lore and a massive map. The server focused more on the RPG mechanics (combat, e.g.) but roleplay was still also the norm. It was shut down.
A few months before the server was shut down, the players were asked to vote/discuss whether the whitelist should be lifted, whether the server should remain whitelisted and a few other alternatives I don't remember anymore. I don't want to assume why it was shut down, but low player numbers may have had something to do with it.

Ruin

Level 104
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
What Robinzeee(e) said, I also think it was because of its small playerbase.

Popo

Level 31
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
I am a FantasyRP player from day one, and stayed till the end of it all. To keep it short, FantasyRP wasn't profitable with the maintenance costs and the latter. Seeing as there was a lot of limitation as to what could be purchased on the store. The player base was very constricted and fairly small in comparison to the player count from release (i.e. release; 380-420 players, end of 2022; 30-60 players).

Regardless, FantasyRP was much more maintainable than MazeRP, so I feel like it was a mistake to remove it in general because of the potential it had. FRP had a loyal community backing it up and a lot of people willing to purchase it and become a shareholder of the server; however, the exact reason of it closing down is unknown. Either way, it's been a year since FantasyRP's closing date. O7, 3rd of July 2020 -> December 2022

DylanDeNewb

Level 34
Community Team
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
Hey. It wasn't shut down due to costs or any other factors, simply that there was nobody suitable to lead and solve the issues it was facing at the time. It was a completely custom server which had many hours poured into it, and we were working on the next iteration at the time before the decision was ultimately made to stop.

Yes, we had a quite loyal player base, though it was also incredibly overwhelming at times, especially whilst it was struggling.

cho0ii

Level 175
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
it was a really big server, massive map with tons of expansive lore and interesting characters. Unfortunately it was a whitelist server which is why so many people were discouraged from joining hence the server only reaching a average of 3 players a day, 8 or so if you were lucky. I personally had a whitelist and it was one of the most interesting servers I've played on. They unfortunately closed it due to it not being worth running anymore, and instead opened MazeRP as a replacement.

DylanDeNewb

Level 34
Community Team
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
Unfortunately it was a whitelist server which is why so many people were discouraged from joining hence the server only reaching a average of 3 players a day, 8 or so if you were lucky.
This was certainly not the case. We had an issue retaining players due to a lack of new content whilst we were working on the next iteration of the server, in which we were considering removing the whitelist in favour of a more centralised setup that worked for SRP.

In actual fact, we still received applications for whitelist even when the server was down to 10-20 players, whilst people waited for the 2.0. However, new players would soon quit once they could not find players to roleplay with, which occurred as a result of waiting players.

They unfortunately closed it due to it not being worth running anymore, and instead opened MazeRP as a replacement.
In addition, MazeRP is not at all a replacement. It is simply a new partnership which was formed long after FantasyRP closed. MazeRP joining RoleplayHub simply made sense since it fit the theme.

stylishcamo

Level 9
Tostjle
Tostjle
Omega+
I am a FantasyRP player from day one, and stayed till the end of it all. To keep it short, FantasyRP wasn't profitable with the maintenance costs and the latter. Seeing as there was a lot of limitation as to what could be purchased on the store. The player base was very constricted and fairly small in comparison to the player count from release (i.e. release; 380-420 players, end of 2022; 30-60 players).

Regardless, FantasyRP was much more maintainable than MazeRP, so I feel like it was a mistake to remove it in general because of the potential it had. FRP had a loyal community backing it up and a lot of people willing to purchase it and become a shareholder of the server; however, the exact reason of it closing down is unknown. Either way, it's been a year since FantasyRP's closing date. O7, 3rd of July 2020 -> December 2022
I didnt manage a change of playing frp and i really missed out of something, but i get it why it was shut down, since fantasy itself has ALOT of things that can be roleplayable it just probably less maintainable and for a reason why it was shut down and replaced by mazerp, oh and i remember there was another person that had ownership of srp but i think they left or something dunno the reason, probably that was another reason why fantasyrp had to shut down.
I played FantasyRP for a while. It was a whitelisted fantasy roleplay server with expansive lore and a massive map. The server focused more on the RPG mechanics (combat, e.g.) but roleplay was still also the norm. It was shut down.
A few months before the server was shut down, the players were asked to vote/discuss whether the whitelist should be lifted, whether the server should remain whitelisted and a few other alternatives I don't remember anymore. I don't want to assume why it was shut down, but low player numbers may have had something to do with it.
And yeah, massive map more maintinance and RPG mechanics can be laggy so they probably payed a heavy amount and not getting the money back.

But fill me if im wrong, im just wondering.

Mo!

Level 13
sunsetskies_
sunsetskies_
Omega+
I'm an ex-frper! I was in FRP since the day it opened to the year before it closed. The first 6m-1y was amazing, the community was huge we are peeking at more than 40 players online. Sadly after awhile, it did die, and it dropped to below 10 players a day, even peeking at only a singular player.
The community at first was sweet, and the understand and magic behind it was fun, and interactive. However, It got toxic and everyone was at eachothers throats daily. I left the community due to the countless comments made against me for no reason as well as just the overall poorly managed staff-base. There was some lovely staff members and I know one very well that left, which they made a big impact on the community, so them leaving may have discouraged people as well.

People need to remember, FRP may have been a well known and talkative community, but there was staff members and community members who wanted full control over the community.

I was a known player, and so was DarkxWalker who already commented on this post - We both experianced the good and bad sides of the community and honestly, It's sad it ended but, it's for the best. It effected the SRP community almost with the trolling, spamming, toxicity and overall. It was nice to have it go, I might get attacked for this, but FRP was a horrible community towards the end of it's life with RPH, but at the start, I enjoyed it until it switched up.

I have fond memories of FRP, and friendships i still have today. FRP is gone for the better.

But overall, No idea why FRP closed - Just that it closed and... People were not happy! The understanding of how the events and items worked were cool, I liked that part.

Popo

Level 31
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
Hey. It wasn't shut down due to costs or any other factors, simply that there was nobody suitable to lead and solve the issues it was facing at the time. It was a completely custom server which had many hours poured into it, and we were working on the next iteration at the time before the decision was ultimately made to stop.

Yes, we had a quite loyal player base, though it was also incredibly overwhelming at times, especially whilst it was struggling.
Hey there, Dylan. I have known you since the release pretty much, and talked to you pretty frequently on the FRP forums. I believe there were some people who were offering to take the ownership of FantasyRP which were taken either as a joke by the leadership/company/corporation/whatever RPH can be recognised as. You might be aware that FRP was reopened on an external host from January to February 2023 before the owners (frill/narthok) chose to willingly close it due to a very toxic minority.

I think the issue was that Duckings and the rest of the shareholders simply took any offers lightly, and just didn't think anyone was worthwhile in comparison to Rumpo, and the other unmentioned owners that didn't play as much of an important role in keeping FantasyRP afloat. I think that needed to be specified in the end, FRP could have definitely been saved, should there have been better choices that were made by the owner.

cho0ii

Level 175
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
This was certainly not the case. We had an issue retaining players due to a lack of new content whilst we were working on the next iteration of the server, in which we were considering removing the whitelist in favour of a more centralised setup that worked for SRP.

In actual fact, we still received applications for whitelist even when the server was down to 10-20 players, whilst people waited for the 2.0. However, new players would soon quit once they could not find players to roleplay with, which occurred as a result of waiting players.

In addition, MazeRP is not at all a replacement. It is simply a new partnership which was formed long after FantasyRP closed. MazeRP joining RoleplayHub simply made sense since it fit the theme.
This in fact was told to me, by mutiple players. I did not mean to upset or disrespect however I find your reply quite rude considering I was only sharing what I was told was the reason and I consider a contributor to the reason, also considering the fact I was simply replying to give my side of what I saw as part of the reason and many players had told me was the reason, the response I personally find was not necessary seeing as you already provided a reply.

A big part of why there was a failure to retain players was A, the focus on SRP as it was the server that got the larger portion of money, and B, whitelist was a big reason as to why people wouldn't join, I even made a suggestion back in 2022, and the main reason people didn't like it was because whitelists discourage players from joining.

I would also like to say, I said replacement with no disrespect to mazeRP, replacement can mean many things, however, even if it was formed before the closer, it still in technical terms replaced fantasyRP in many ways, providing a fantasy aspect to roleplay, and also replacing the exact location where fantasyRP used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread