Add "MILF" and Adjacent Terms to the OOC Filter

Should this suggestion be implemented?

• Total voters

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
IGN: I forgot (someone remind me please)
Date: 7/10/23

The term "MILF" for those of you who are uninformed, is as follows:

Mom
I'd
Like (to)
Fuck

The word in and of itself is sexual in nature, meaning that regardless of context, the use of it violates rule 2.7, which states:
2.7 Do not participate in conversation regarding inappropriate topics such as sexual, racial, or extremist topics.

If it was used sparingly in character, I don't think it would be a problem. The issue is when players define themselves and their characters by these words OOCly, or even call other players by these titles. It's even worse when people indiscriminately call any adult female a "MILF," even when it doesn't apply to the character in question. It may seem silly and lighthearted to the players saying it, but frankly, it's discomforting for other people when inherently sexual words are being tossed around like it's normal behavior.

I would also like to note, you aren't able to say "mommy" or "daddy" in the OOC channels, both of which aren't inherently perverse, and are only dirty in a certain context. However, you are able to say "MILF" and "DILF," both of which are sexual in and of themselves. At the very least, we should make the filter consistent with itself.

ErikFinster

Level 116
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
I support that. There are no common english words that contain the letters M, I, L, and F, in exactly that order.

(Other than "Hake" which is commonly found in Shake, Shaken, Handshake, Unshaken, Milkshake, and Unshakeable.)

RebelZane

Level 10
IGN: I forgot (someone remind me please)
Date: 7/10/23

The term "MILF" for those of you who are uninformed, is as follows:

Mom
I'd
Like (to)
Fuck

The word in and of itself is sexual in nature, meaning that regardless of context, the use of it violates rule 2.7, which states:

If it was used sparingly in character, I don't think it would be a problem. The issue is when players define themselves and their characters by these words OOCly, or even call other players by these titles. It's even worse when people indiscriminately call any adult female a "MILF," even when it doesn't apply to the character in question. It may seem silly and lighthearted to the players saying it, but frankly, it's discomforting for other people when inherently sexual words are being tossed around like it's normal behavior.

I would also like to note, you aren't able to say "mommy" or "daddy" in the OOC channels, both of which aren't inherently perverse, and are only dirty in a certain context. However, you are able to say "MILF" and "DILF," both of which are sexual in and of themselves. At the very least, we should make the filter consistent with itself

Everyone has a opinion on this but this may just be me but it isn't that big of a deal to be called this, it is only commonly found if your in factions or decently made skins but it isn't a big deal so I don't see it necessary to put a filter on it. It could easily be ignored if someone says this to you, it also isn't considered a harmful term. I would like to add I've been called it before and it doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

elliot<3

Level 59
st4rl0v3r
st4rl0v3r
Omega+
+1
I have characters that get called this on a daily basis.. Its concerning, and uncomfortable for many. If you do a quick google search one of the definitions is regarding an older attracive woman as an attractive object, which is just plain uncomfortable to most.. Seeing a person as an object? No thank you, why does this word exist again?

Everyone has a opinion on this but this may just be me but it isn't that big of a deal to be called this, it is only commonly found if your in factions or decently made skins but it isn't a big deal so I don't see it necessary to put a filter on it. It could easily be ignored if someone says this to you, it also isn't considered a harmful term. I would like to add I've been called it before and it doesn't bother me at all.
Yet for this.. why are people saying it specifically in factions, especially in school factions? And why are people calling someone by that term instead of just saying 'Hey you have a good looking skin!' in looc..

Lazeas

Level 47
+1
I have characters that get called this on a daily basis.. Its concerning, and uncomfortable for many. If you do a quick google search one of the definitions is regarding an older attracive woman as an attractive object, which is just plain uncomfortable to most.. Seeing a person as an object? No thank you, why does this word exist again?

Yet for this.. why are people saying it specifically in factions, especially in school factions? And why are people calling someone by that term instead of just saying 'Hey you have a good looking skin!' in looc..
I don't think it's that deep. If you feel uncomfortable, tell them to stop
censorship is not the answer guys!!!

RebelZane

Level 10
+1

It is a common thing that occurs, it isn't that big like Lazeas said, it also is just how this generation is as a whole. Everyone says it and it's not a big deal, just simply ask them to stop quite a few people do not care out of about 350-400 people that play the server. It also is common for a faction for example teachers, it is just a common thing that happens even OOCly for the factions to get this as well.

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
It could easily be ignored if someone says this to you, it also isn't considered a harmful term. I would like to add I've been called it before and it doesn't bother me at all.
I would argue that people calling other players (populated in a community of mostly minors) by sexual terms is harmful; and just because something doesn't bother you specifically, doesn't mean that the same applies to everyone else.

I don't think it's that deep. If you feel uncomfortable, tell them to stop
censorship is not the answer guys!!!
If it were a niche occurrence, then I think it would be fine to just tell players to stop on a case by case basis. The problem is that many players use the term "MILF," especially when talking about other players / their characters in open spaces (such as OOC). It may or may not be uncomfortable to the receiving party, but for an outsider it can be equally gross to see other players sexualizing one another openly.

In regards to censorship, I do think that a lot of it is unnecessary on the server; the only reason I'm suggesting that the term "MILF" be removed specifically is because of it's inherently adult definition and it's overuse in OOC. Again, I understand that some people may be desensitized and just see it as a silly word, but for everyone else it's just kind of creepy and gross.

elliot<3

Level 59
st4rl0v3r
st4rl0v3r
Omega+
It is a common thing that occurs, it isn't that big like Lazeas said, it also is just how this generation is as a whole. Everyone says it and it's not a big deal, just simply ask them to stop quite a few people do not care out of about 350-400 people that play the server. It also is common for a faction for example teachers, it is just a common thing that happens even OOCly for the factions to get this as well.
Even if it is common why is it happening? Like said before, its quite literally calling women an attractive item; proven by just doing a simple search for the definition of MILF. If its not a big thing, then why is it common? There are groups of people that are rather young on SRP, as someone has mentioned.. Yet why is it happening ESPECIALLY in the Teacher faction, or school faction. Why are people doing this? Its more simple, and wont make people uncomfortable with something that should be taken as a compliment towards the character.

Ghostfire

Level 105
GhostfireSwords
GhostfireSwords
Notable+
you have gotta be kidding me

Lazeas

Level 47
I would argue that people calling other players (populated in a community of mostly minors) by sexual terms is harmful; and just because something doesn't bother you specifically, doesn't mean that the same applies to everyone else.

If it were a niche occurrence, then I think it would be fine to just tell players to stop on a case by case basis. The problem is that many players use the term "MILF," especially when talking about other players / their characters in open spaces (such as OOC). It may or may not be uncomfortable to the receiving party, but for an outsider it can be equally gross to see other players sexualizing one another openly.

In regards to censorship, I do think that a lot of it is unnecessary on the server; the only reason I'm suggesting that the term "MILF" be removed specifically is because of it's inherently adult definition and it's overuse in OOC. Again, I understand that some people may be desensitized and just see it as a silly word, but for everyone else it's just kind of creepy and gross.
I had recently gotten a new skin for my female char and one of my female friends said in /looc "I'd smash". Smash isnt in the filter but "fuck" is. Does that mean smash should get censored? or not because it has other use cases? "fuck" also has other use cases but it's still censored. I genuinely don't believe any "outsider" would look at what my friend said about my skin and react with "Omg why did she say that... thats so weird like she could have just said the skin was nice... wtf?? weirdos..". I really don't think it matters man. If you're advocating for the word to be filtered in ooc but still viewable in with /togglefilter, that's fine then.

ScoringWynter

Level 26
ScoringWynter
ScoringWynter
Notable
Neutral!

Yes, I agree. The joking term can be used way too often, but when it comes to this server, you've got to have thick skin.
- The term has been around for many, many years within the community. It's never going to stop whether you choose to censor it or not.

- Requesting a player to stop saying the term can prove best, if they continue, and it makes you uncomfortable, then I'd recommend making a report because it may be sought as Player Harassment.

The sheer nature alone of the word is a sexual meaning too; which is obviously against server rules and can lead to uncomfortable situations.
If players use it in a bothering way, don't hesitate to contact staff - and that's why they're here!

ErikFinster

Level 116
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
I'm probably with the party-poopers on this ... even though I'm very much in favor of creativity and usually against cultural narrowing.

After reading the Server Rules (again,) I feel that they indicate a stronggg emphasis on mutual respect and appropriateness, with ZERO tolerance for sexually explicit content or adult themes. SchoolRP has strict regulations regarding age-appropriate character relationships and actions. And calling someone a MILF is probably somewhere in there.

At least from reading the rules, I feel that the server is intended to be safe for younger players, and its overall appropriateness should somewhat align with the Minecraft ESRB rating of Everyone 10+. Which would suggest that the content we write/roleplay should be suitable for ages 10 and older: cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language, and/or minimal suggestive themes. (Of course, ACTUALLY PLAYING on the SchoolRP server gives me a different vibe, but there is always a discrepancy between rules and execution.)

Rule 2.1 emphasizes respectfulness and disallows oppressive behavior including sexism, which could be construed to include derogatory or objectifying language.

Rule 2.7 prohibits inappropriate topics, specifically those of a sexual nature. If the term "MILF" is used in a sexual manner, it could likely be a violation of this rule.

Rule 4.3b implies that character names cannot be inappropriate, which might extend to the use of certain terms in character descriptions or dialogues.

Rule 5.3 outright bans erotic roleplay, along with detailed NSFW content, including 'erotic literature'.

So "MILF" could be interpreted as falling within the categories of sexism, inappropriate topics, or NSFW content, depending on the context of its use. My instinct tells the that it should be at least disencouraged, or even restricted, particularly if it is used in an inappropriate, offensive, or sexual manner.

In the end it's about overall player comfort. I'm looking forward to the poll suggestion.

RebelZane

Level 10
Even if it is common why is it happening? Like said before, its quite literally calling women an attractive item; proven by just doing a simple search for the definition of MILF. If its not a big thing, then why is it common? There are groups of people that are rather young on SRP, as someone has mentioned.. Yet why is it happening ESPECIALLY in the Teacher faction, or school faction. Why are people doing this? Its more simple, and wont make people uncomfortable with something that should be taken as a compliment towards the character.
As people keep saying it isn't a big deal, no need to censor something because it just bothers you. If you're uncomfortable with it just ask them to stop as people keep telling you, and regarding the teacher thing it also happens out of game, it is VERY common for them to receive that. I am sorry that I don't agree with this suggestion or it doesn't bother me much, even I was a minor at one point getting called this and I didn't really care then either.

Users who are viewing this thread