mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

Add "MILF" and Adjacent Terms to the OOC Filter

Should this suggestion be implemented?

• Total voters

RebelZane

Level 10
I'm probably with the party-poopers on this ... even though I'm very much in favor of creativity and usually against cultural narrowing.

After reading the Server Rules (again,) I feel that they indicate a stronggg emphasis on mutual respect and appropriateness, with ZERO tolerance for sexually explicit content or adult themes. SchoolRP has strict regulations regarding age-appropriate character relationships and actions. And calling someone a MILF is probably somewhere in there.

At least from reading the rules, I feel that the server is intended to be safe for younger players, and its overall appropriateness should somewhat align with the Minecraft ESRB rating of Everyone 10+. Which would suggest that the content we write/roleplay should be suitable for ages 10 and older: cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language, and/or minimal suggestive themes. (Of course, ACTUALLY PLAYING on the SchoolRP server gives me a different vibe, but there is always a discrepancy between rules and execution.)

Rule 2.1 emphasizes respectfulness and disallows oppressive behavior including sexism, which could be construed to include derogatory or objectifying language.

Rule 2.7 prohibits inappropriate topics, specifically those of a sexual nature. If the term "MILF" is used in a sexual manner, it could likely be a violation of this rule.

Rule 4.3b implies that character names cannot be inappropriate, which might extend to the use of certain terms in character descriptions or dialogues.

Rule 5.3 outright bans erotic roleplay, along with detailed NSFW content, including 'erotic literature'.

So "MILF" could be interpreted as falling within the categories of sexism, inappropriate topics, or NSFW content, depending on the context of its use. My instinct tells the that it should be at least disencouraged, or even restricted, particularly if it is used in an inappropriate, offensive, or sexual manner.

In the end it's about overall player comfort. I'm looking forward to the poll suggestion.
Sadly it was never really meant for younger players. If I am correct the server itself is meant to be 13 and older.

Infi

Level 134
Helper
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
Not gonna lie, I was waiting for this to be suggested. Heavy +1 from me.

The actual term (milf, dilf, gilf, etc) in my opinion have rather crude meanings behind them, one in which I’m almost positive the majority of people who use the terms don’t actually understand what it means.

People raise the comment “if you don’t like it just tell them to stop”, but that’s a pretty fruitless endeavor to try and accomplish. It can be offensive, inappropriate, and should not be used to describe anyone or anything on school roleplay. I know from experience the moment you try to say “hey that’s offensive”, the response you will get is “then don’t look at it”. This is something I feel needs to be moderated more and censored.

I don’t think people should be putting terms they don’t know the meaning of in their server nicknames, descriptions, or IGNs. Though I won’t be putting the full meaning in the public forums here, if you’re curious what these terms actually mean I suggest looking it up.

I myself have been called these terms as a grown adult and honestly it’s just unsettling. It’s unsettling knowing the fact that minors sit and call themselves and their characters that too.

+1 from me :)

(W suggestion Alimonino)

Lazeas

Level 47
So "MILF" could be interpreted as falling within the categories of sexism, inappropriate topics, or NSFW content, depending on the context of its use. My instinct tells the that it should be at least disencouraged, or even restricted, particularly if it is used in an inappropriate, offensive, or sexual manner.
Yeah depending on the context it's used it could be inappropriate. That means that you just admitted "MILF" even though it's naughty acronym, has other uses cases that are not inappropriate. You'd be right since a lot of people just use that word without seriousness or care for what it stands for.
In the end it's about overall player comfort. I'm looking forward to the poll suggestion.
I don't think the poll is actually a good way of checking if people are uncomfortable with the word or not. Even if you look in this thread, most of the people agreeing having mainly made the point that "other" people are uncomfortable but rarely said that they themselves are uncomfortable. Honestly, it's funny because the people +1ing this would probably have a friend that would call their skin/character a "milf" in ooc but wouldn't feel anything weird from that, they'd probably even make the argument of "Oh, they're just using it ironicly!! lol!" and they'd also be right, because most people do use it 'ironicly'. The only time i'd see when you'd be uncomfortable with this word is if some random nasty gangrper with the generic black hair shaded skin, comes up to you and starts chatting in looc calling you a milf n shit, but again, that's so specific. Take screenshots and report it to staff if it gets bad, censoring the word "milf" will not change this. This also leads me to believe that people advocating to add this in, think that it would benefit the server because people are truly offended by the word but in reality, if the word is only added to /togglefilter, no one would mind since most people have it off. Even with the knowledge of the word's actual meaning, censoring the word to the point where its **** seems pretty excessive, no?

Last edited:

philbertman42

Level 140
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
"MILF" even though it's naughty acronym, has other uses cases that are not inappropriate
This is simply false. There is no use of the term "MILF" that isn't inappropriate, as by its own definition, it is inherently sexual. Even if you were using it to say "this woman is wholesomely attractive," that doesn't change the fact that the word itself is a sexual term. If I am wrong, could you please list some examples of appropriate use of the term "MILF" that follows the server's rules?

Even if you look in this thread, most of the people agreeing having mainly made the point that "other" people are uncomfortable but rarely said that they themselves are uncomfortable.
Most people who have replied in favor of this suggestion and also mentioned how it makes players uncomfortable have also either referenced their own experience or suggested that they themselves were put off by it; even if this wasn't the case, that much is implied by the fact that they agree. Regardless, even if they weren't made uncomfortable by the term, they could still realize that it shouldn't be used so heavily in the context of SRP, and empathize with those who find it unsettling.

Honestly, it's funny because the people +1ing this would probably have a friend that would call their skin/character a "milf" in ooc but wouldn't feel anything weird from that
Association fallacy, just because your friends would do this, does not mean mine would. Even if they did, that wouldn't make my own argument any less valid, as I am disconnected from my friends, just as they are from me.

DylanDeNewb

Level 35
Helper
Developer
instrumentalityi
instrumentalityi
Fundraiser+
+1/-1

Its one of those things that are probably better off just turning a blind eye to since you'll get complaints no matter which action is taken.

With it being a slang term, it wouldn't be long till they have another term with the same meaning anyways sadly.

Lazeas

Level 47
There is no use of the term "MILF" that isn't inappropriate, as by its own definition, it is inherently sexual.
That word is pretty much used as slang now days by a lot of people. I don't think anyone would find it wrong if someone came up to your character and said in looc, "Your character is attractive" which is the same as "Your character is a milf".

Most people who have replied in favor of this suggestion and also mentioned how it makes players uncomfortable have also either referenced their own experience or suggested that they themselves were put off by it; even if this wasn't the case, that much is implied by the fact that they agree.
I don't even disagree with it being added in /togglefilter. That just makes sense since "mommy" and "daddy" are also in that filter as well. I just think a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion and making it a bigger deal than it actually is.
Association fallacy, just because your friends would do this, does not mean mine would. Even if they did, that wouldn't make my own argument any less valid, as I am disconnected from my friends, just as they are from me.
Stating this is pointless, as I used the word "probably". I never said it was 100% certain.

The FJ

Level 94
ilovemyplanex5
ilovemyplanex5
Rich+
That word is pretty much used as slang now days by a lot of people.
Just because something is used as slang does not immediately make it appropriate.
I don't think anyone would find it wrong if someone came up to your character and said in looc, "Your character is attractive" which is the same as "Your character is a milf".
Clearly, since someone suggested this, and people are agreeing with the statement, a lot of people would, in fact, mind.

RebelZane

Level 10
Just because something is used as slang does not immediately make it appropriate.

Clearly, since someone suggested this, and people are agreeing with the statement, a lot of people would, in fact, mind.
The thing is about these things is that people are acting like its downgrading them when it infact is not, it is used in a way of 'compliments' it may just depend on the person if they care or not but at the same time some of the people find it very unnecessary to add it to the chat filter, I will say it again just simply either walk away from the person if you're uncomfortable or you ask them to kindly stop and if they continue just tell staff it makes you uncomfortable, no need to filter it because you think its harmful when infact the way players use it normally is not harmful.

Lazeas

Level 47
No, the poll does not indicate if people mind or not. It asks whether or not it should be added to the filter, since the word's original definition has a inappropriate context, contains the word "fuck" (fuck is also censored), and "mommy" is also censored, It would only make sense that people agree it should be added to the filter, I am one of those people. (I just didnt change my vote in poll)

JustJuiceHex

Level 90
JustJuiceHex
JustJuiceHex
Rich+
I will stay neutral to this.

Only comments I will make:

If someone is sensitive about such slang terminology and words that could be involved in same category, they should make other players aware OOCLY that they are not comfortable with this use of words (maybe because it is triggering or just not what they like). The commentary of this makes sense in case some people misuse terms abusing them. It is really up to people who use it and with who. Thus every group of players before rp could make agreement or consent facts of how they expect to rp. It is boring and tiring process, but it will give responsible idea and clear mind with who do you engage.

On down side, if not these words being muted, people will always come up with something else. World of lexicon is so vast, that we need a whole dictionary to prohibit all offensive words. Including words that may come triggering due to traumatic reasons and may be found from bodies assigned by DSM-V and WHO. It is possible but who would do it? And do we need it? As players we just have to remain mindful of ICLY interactions.

Another confusing side of this, would you seek initiating this to create a community that would make social interactions in game and outside of game with higher adequate language or just for spreading idea to maintain intelligent level? if so, it might be a potential suggestion. But again, it is not to us to decide how people will choose to communicate, everyone have their free will of choice to engage in chats. If you don't like it, just ignore it and build social circle which uses communicational preferences of choice similar yours. In my opinion it is more rational to do so.

I mean look at it. Current generations do not tend to use the most 'nicest' slangs but so what? While young people can do what they want and learn from mistakes they make. If we add millions of rules, how many players will stay in the game? Not just the specific part of community, but idea of adding more and more restrictions will motivate people to leave server. It is psychological fact, that a human is not enjoying being restrained and having the restrictions growing onto them.

I am not denying nor supporting the idea. But I would advise to look through it more, with deeper point of view. Or just ask owner to hire educational practitioner who is working within game sphere and provide a valid list rules for this specific case, because they are trained for it.

Other than that have a good day all :3

CakeRPiscool

Level 56
EGGRP
EGGRP
Omega
I will stay neutral to this.

Only comments I will make:

If someone is sensitive about such slang terminology and words that could be involved in same category, they should make other players aware OOCLY that they are not comfortable with this use of words (maybe because it is triggering or just not what they like). The commentary of this makes sense in case some people misuse terms abusing them. It is really up to people who use it and with who. Thus every group of players before rp could make agreement or consent facts of how they expect to rp. It is boring and tiring process, but it will give responsible idea and clear mind with who do you engage.

On down side, if not these words being muted, people will always come up with something else. World of lexicon is so vast, that we need a whole dictionary to prohibit all offensive words. Including words that may come triggering due to traumatic reasons and may be found from bodies assigned by DSM-V and WHO. It is possible but who would do it? And do we need it? As players we just have to remain mindful of ICLY interactions.

Another confusing side of this, would you seek initiating this to create a community that would make social interactions in game and outside of game with higher adequate language or just for spreading idea to maintain intelligent level? if so, it might be a potential suggestion. But again, it is not to us to decide how people will choose to communicate, everyone have their free will of choice to engage in chats. If you don't like it, just ignore it and build social circle which uses communicational preferences of choice similar yours. In my opinion it is more rational to do so.

I mean look at it. Current generations do not tend to use the most 'nicest' slangs but so what? While young people can do what they want and learn from mistakes they make. If we add millions of rules, how many players will stay in the game? Not just the specific part of community, but idea of adding more and more restrictions will motivate people to leave server. It is psychological fact, that a human is not enjoying being restrained and having the restrictions growing onto them.

I am not denying nor supporting the idea. But I would advise to look through it more, with deeper point of view. Or just ask owner to hire educational practitioner who is working within game sphere and provide a valid list rules for this specific case, because they are trained for it.

Other than that have a good day all :3
Honestly this is the best statement I have seen in this suggestion.

Lazeas

Level 47
The way the word "MILF" is used is changing, just as language does, regardless of it's original and suggestive meaning. It is important for everyone here to build a better mindset over words. Try not to get hung over or triggered certain singular words. Word by themselves are meaningless, it's the way they are used and how they are expressed that allows us to understand each other. That is why I'm against censorship of most words, if someone means something negative and in what they say contains a certain word, that shouldn't mean we should automatically censor the word. People will always find other ways to express themselves with other words. I do believe there are certain words that are only used in negative contexts and therefore should be censored as no one has an reason to say them, but "milf" and "mommy" do not fit in that category.

If you do find certain words really triggering, regardless of context (not including slang) you might not be the healthiest you can be mentally and that's okay. Try seeing a psychologist or other professionals as there may be trauma rooted in those words.

elliot<3

Level 59
st4rl0v3r
st4rl0v3r
Omega+
I've been like hovering above this for a while. So I'm not going to pinpoint anyone, that would take too much time. Yet I will point out the more important things that have already been said.

I won't be mentioning another definition I have seen of the word MILF; if interested. Dig deeper into the definition of 'MILF'.

MILF is a sexual term. It is by definition; no other words have the acronym and use the letters M-I-L-F. As stated in another reply I made, seeing the words 'Hey your character is attractive!' is a lot nicer than just seeing 'MILF' or 'Your character is a milf' in looc. I've seen other people say, 'Why would it be censored? It does no harm!' It also goes to why the terms 'mommy' and 'daddy' are also censored. It's because people make anything sexual.

As stated in another reply, with a different person; it also goes against the rules of having sexual things on the server; one where many younger children do play.
. Just because a term has been around for a long time or a while. Does not make it any different.
Current generations do not tend to use the most 'nicest' slangs but so what?
I agree with this, yet most if not all of the rude slang is censored, targeting certain groups of people.

It seems like a lot of people in this thread, also realize that people find the word uncomfortable; (as stated before; one of the definitions is quite literally using the slang, MILF, to say a woman specifically is an attractive item.)

I've had oocly adults even say it is disgusting. . If the people the term is going for, also find it disgusting why is it a in general thing? Because people sexualize anything they see.
The actual term (milf, dilf, gilf, etc) in my opinion have rather crude meanings behind them, one in which I’m almost positive the majority of people who use the terms don’t actually understand what it means.
GILF is something to mention as well, it means grandparent.. Sexualizing grandparents now? Really?

Lazeas

Level 47
I've had oocly adults even say it is disgusting. . If the people the term is going for, also find it disgusting why is it a in general thing? Because people sexualize anything they see.
Ironically enough it can be used without a sexual meaning, just as it can be used toward someone who isn't even a parent.

RebelZane

Level 10
I've had oocly adults even say it is disgusting. . If the people the term is going for, also find it disgusting why is it a in general thing? Because people sexualize anything they s
Thing is I've never seen OOC adult complain about this and I know quite a few of them and I myself have been called this before then they are on their way.

Ironically enough it can be used without a sexual meaning, just as it can be used toward someone who isn't even a parent.
Replying to this, I agree, whenever someone says that to mean it isn't used in that way and it is just as a compliment then they leave, the character wasn't even a parent either, just isn't that deep. That is my last point to make for this suggestion.

The FJ

Level 94
ilovemyplanex5
ilovemyplanex5
Rich+
No, the poll does not indicate if people mind or not. It asks whether or not it should be added to the filter, since the word's original definition has a inappropriate context, contains the word "fuck" (fuck is also censored), and "mommy" is also censored, It would only make sense that people agree it should be added to the filter, I am one of those people. (I just didnt change my vote in poll)
Wait a poll???

Edit: nvm found it

ErikFinster

Level 122
ErikFinster
ErikFinster
Omega+
I still remember when American Pie (1999) came to the theaters and popularized the term MILF. It has probably outgrown and even transcended its original inclination. But it was (clearly) intended as sexual humor and was considered kinda gross/derogatory.

I won't tell young people what to say and what not, and people can certainly say the n-word and other terms (even sexually charged terms) affectionately. But it really depends on the context and how we interpret the server rules.

Edit:
Also, I'm ok with the alternative to MILF ---> BWILA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread