loresaint
loresaint
Notable
IGN:
kaawaii

DATE:
16/06/2023

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
As the title entails, I don't understand why animal abuse is allowed on the server or not more explicitly explained in the rules

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
Animal abuse is sadly very commonly roleplayed out on SRP and taken to extreme measures beyond realism. Animal abuse is known to make people very uncomfortable, even if it is merely roleplay, and it's just such a horrible topic. I'm aware that it's an IC law and it makes sense, however there are certain situations that shouldn't be allowed at all. As it is, you can't even get perms on animals unless the animal is unrealistically roleplaying (e.g. a cat/dog/frog/etc knocks someone out). In the case an animal is aggressive first, obviously that's excluded, but even then the actions of animals are normally very restricted due to situational circumstances

For the sake of clarification, which seems greatly needed (I don't think I explained that well the first time around), I am NOT saying disallow animals from gangRP and/or combatRP. The suggestion is to make guidelines and rules as to what is and what isn't animal abuse/what shouldn't be allowed

A situational example is being incessantly violent towards an animal – A cat bites someone, the person continues to basically /torture/ the animal. This includes strangulation, drowning, and other means of cruelty. It's unnecessary to RP, disgusting, and I don't see the appeal

To appeal to those responding with, "-1, there are laws against this!!!!!" ...as an example of something else that is equally as disturbing and also against the rules of SRP, cannibalism is illegal ICly and NOT roleplayed out. By no means am I comparing the two subjects, they are vastly different in every aspect - I'm merely using it as an example to show that the same can be done for animal torture

On the other hand, adding a set of strict rules about animal cruelty, torture, or abuse, is not getting rid of combatRP / gangRP for animals whatsoever!!!

IrisFi made excellent points about my suggestion that I'd like to include here
I'm on mobile so I can't directly quote her :(​
"The reason this suggestion exists is because it's not against the rules. How am I going to report them for that?
As for the IC stuff, this is kind of the answer to it. I don't think I mentioned this clearly in my above paragraphs btw; I don't think combatRP should be completely taken away from animals, BUT there needs to be way more clear rules about actual animal torture," from IrisFi​
"'Not cutting an animal's limb is unrealistic graah!!' Ok no it isn't but that wouldn't be a problem even if it was because simply put, SRP isn't realistic. Sure, the server doesn't have unicorns saving the town instead of KPD, but there are many points that make the server unrealistic. For example, your character can never skip school because of OOC regulations. It's not a bad thing; the unrealistic aspects are usually there to make roleplay smoother, protect the community from toxicity or whatever other reasons they have. Not only that, but reaching actual realism in SRP is entirely impossible; everything is made of blocks, there's crimes in every corner, everyone goes out of town for 2 IC days to OOCly sleep etcetc. Because realism is impossible to reach on a server like this, it's a dumb idea to not add a rule solely for that reason, if the rule is supposed to protect the community in some way," from IrisFi

Once again, in case I wasn't clear enough, self defense isn't the concern of this suggestion​

Last edited:

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+

Only way to do this is to restrict the whitelist from crimerp/combatrp. There are scenarios where this happens because of the whitelisted player. For example:

Vicious dog attacking someone for hurting their owner

Bears being aggressive in their habitats, and cops needing to be called

Etc.

con

Level 6
loresaint
loresaint
Notable
-1, its just ic, no needs to get offrended oocly!
That's not how it works, being uncomfortable with a topic is nowhere near the same as taking IC into OOC

Only way to do this is to restrict the whitelist from crimerp/combatrp. There are scenarios where this happens because of the whitelisted player. For example:

Vicious dog attacking someone for hurting their owner

Bears being aggressive in their habitats, and cops needing to be called

Etc.
What I mean with my suggestion is that there are situations in which people attack animals unprovoked and take it beyond realistic measures. I included, "I'm aware that it's an IC law, however there are just certain situations that shouldn't be allowed," referring to situations in which people go beyond majors and minors to torture an animal

I edited both this message and the original thread to further elaborate what I mean

Last edited:

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+
What I mean with my suggestion is that there are situations in which people attack animals unprovoked and take it beyond realistic measures.
This doesn’t happen as often as you think, because people aren’t allowed to attack other people without valid perms. If someone gained perms, 99% of the time, it’s because the animal did something first (and yes, majors shouldn’t be something that can happen, but if you try to remove that, it could start p2w arguments). And, to even GET majors on an animal, they need to have knocked out your character or stolen a weapon from you because animals cannot physically kidnap people and etc. And, to get minors for those animals to even get near knocking someone out, they have to be the one to do something such as provoke someone. Animals can’t insult people lol

If you see someone attacking an animal without perms and the person who’s playing the animal isn’t aware of the rules, contact staff about it. Animals are not an exception!!!

长卂丅卂尺卂 尸卄丫㔿

Level 120
csns
csns
Notable
That's not how it works, being uncomfortable with a topic is nowhere near the same as taking IC into OOC

What I mean with my suggestion is that there are situations in which people attack animals unprovoked and take it beyond realistic measures. I included, "I'm aware that it's an IC law, however there are just certain situations that shouldn't be allowed," referring to situations in which people major cats, dogs, etc without proper reasoning for it
I mean, if someone aint comfortable with a ic situation, they can inform the 'abuser' they dont like. 99% of the time, if the situation is rlly dirty - ex, animal abuse -, they will stop.

DarkEclipic

Level 158
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+

If you are uncomfortable with something, you are most welcome to report it to a member of staff. Make sure that people have perms on your character(Human or Animal). There are laws and arrestable offences icly for hurting animals

Infi

Level 130
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
As DarkEclipic said, there are several IC laws and regulations with all three government factions that prohibit such things. I do not believe disallowing animals from engaging in combatrp will only create more problems

CTC0

Level 25
CTC0
CTC0
Notable
+1
In that case it might be wise to update an entire animal section of the rules with more detail, I believe I suggested animal applications before (unless I was just talking about it in VC and never did anything). The entire animal whitelist part of the server needs an upgrade anyway, hopefully we'll be getting that soon anyway.

Iris.fi

Level 33
IrisFi
IrisFi
Rich
+1
mainly for the points mentioned above and mine;
It's genuinely disturbing to see people want to roleplay torturing animals, even if it is only 'their character' or completely consented upon. I don't really care about the whole FailRP aspect of it, the animal whitelist just offers hundreds of ways to failRP and this wouldn't change anything, seeing as there's been multiple rules implemented before and much change hasn't happened.
My main problem with animal abuse on SRP is the actual topic and its display. It makes people uncomfortable OOCly and there really isn't any reason to be able to do it, considering it offers almost no way to improve your character... unless your character is a soon-to-be murderer psychopath, in which case you could either vaguely mention it in their backstory or cope.
Roleplaying animal abuse can often make it seem like the person roleplaying it HAS the same views as their character simply because it is a sensitive topic, similarly to the rule sbout IC conversations involving offensive topics. Does it mean they actually think that OOCly? No! Can it imply that? Absolutely, especially because many people still self-insert charasteristics of themselves into their characters. Nothing bad with that on its own, but when your character does a lot of weird shit, it is a bit questionable. There are MANY rules that disallow people from roleplaying uncomfortable things out, which is good. I believe the main reasons those rules were implemented were for similar reasons animal abuse should be added in that list; it makes people uncomfortable, it might display OOCly opinions, it is cruel and really gross to roleplay bla bla. i lost motivation to write more but do a google search if you dont know how gross it is to animal abuse lol
TLDR; make actual animal torture disallowed in the rules because its weird and gross to rp it out both ICly and OOCly

Edit; (i just forgot to add stuff lol)
Also I know gangrpplayer123 will see this thread and comment SOMETHING about it being unrealistic to ''not take action'' or whatever funky wording they can use because the same discussion of realism needs to be shoved in every suggestion ever made. I'm adding this to my point, also countering the realism part.
"Not cutting an animal's limb is unrealistic graah!!" Ok no it isn't but that wouldn't be a problem even if it was because simply put, SRP isn't realistic. Sure, the server doesn't have unicorns saving the town instead of KPD, but there are many points that make the server unrealistic. For example, your character can never skip school because of OOC regulations. It's not a bad thing; the unrealistic aspects are usually there to make roleplay smoother, protect the community from toxicity or whatever other reasons they have. Not only that, but reaching actual realism in SRP is entirely impossible; everything is made of blocks, there's crimes in every corner, everyone goes out of town for 2 IC days to OOCly sleep etcetc. Because realism is impossible to reach on a server like this, it's a dumb idea to not add a rule solely for that reason, if the rule is supposed to protect the community in some way.

I also want to bring up the -1s previously put in this thread, mainly the reasoning which mostly seems to be the IC laws or just reporting them OOCly. I'll start with the OOC report because it's easier and shorter; how am I going to DM my favorite little admin (their name starts with an S!!!) and report someone for something that isn't against the rules? The reason this suggestion exists is because it's not against the rules. How am I going to report them for that?
As for the IC stuff, this is kind of the answer to it. I don't think I mentioned this clearly in my above paragraphs btw; I don't think combatRP should be completely taken away from animals, BUT there needs to be way more clear rules about actual animal torture. If your character captures a dog, cuts off its limb and throws it in the ocean then that is fucked up both ICly AND OOCly, which is why it should be against the rules OOCly. If your character is being absolutely beaten by a bird, of course you'd be allowed to defend yourself, that shouldn't be limited by OOC rules BUT majoring animals? Soo gross. The IC laws can stay in place, I have nothing personal against them. An ICly law existing DOESN'T mean it's entirely useless or that there shouldn't be an OOCly rule. As Con stated, limiting combatrp for animals is not the point of the suggestion. The suggestion is to make actual animal torture against the rules.

Last edited:

con

Level 6
loresaint
loresaint
Notable
+1
mainly for the points mentioned above and mine;
It's genuinely disturbing to see people want to roleplay torturing animals, even if it is only 'their character' or completely consented upon. I don't really care about the whole FailRP aspect of it, the animal whitelist just offers hundreds of ways to failRP and this wouldn't change anything, seeing as there's been multiple ruled implemented before and much change hasn't happened.
My main problem with animal abuse on SRP is the actual topic and its display. It makes people uncomfortable OOCly and there really isn't any reason to be able to do it, considering it offers almost no way to improve your character... unless your character is a soon-to-be murderer psychopath, in which case you could either vaguely mention it in your backstory or cope with it.
Roleplaying animal abuse can often make it seem like the person roleplaying it HAS the same views as their character simply because it is a sensitive topic, similarly to the rule sbout IC conversations involving offensive topics. Does it mean they actually think that OOCly? No! Can it imply that? Absolutely, especially because many people still self-insert charasteristics of themselves into their characters. Nothing bad with that on its own, but when your character does a lot of weird shit, it is a bit questionable. There are MANY rules that disallow people from roleplaying uncomfortable things out, which is good. I believe the main reasons those rules were implemented were for similar reasons animal abuse should be added in that list; it makes people uncomfortable, it might display OOCly opinions, it is cruel and really gross to roleplay bla bla. i lost motivation to write more but do a google search if you dont know how gross it is to animal abuse lol

TLDR: make it into a rule it's weird
EXACTLY!! I couldn't explain it as well when I first posted it, which was entirely on me, however this is exactly what I mean

It's creepy and discomforting, especially to know that a "child friendly" server condones such topics. I understand animals partaking in gangRP and combatRP, that on its own is perfectly okay so long as they do it right, but there are still some things that get WAY too out of hand, e.g. the act of torturing animals

Since there's nowhere in the rules that doesn't reprimand it whatsoever, people do it ALL the time and it's disgusting to be walking by the sewers or the beach, just general bodies of water, and seeing actions to drown a dog, cat, or whatever else // holding them underwater, even if it's not intended to kill them

This entire suggestion has NOTHING to do with IC laws, I only included it to acknowledge that it's supposed to be a "realistic" law and it is, by all means! But there's just some situations that shouldn't be allowed

EnderBubs

Level 57

This is an ic thing. Animal abuse can fall under simply kicking a fox. You can be arrested for that it’s a felony charge. Not all animal abuse is some horrific action of someone beating down an animal

As Eli said, there are laws against animal abuse as well as if something does happen that you’re uncomfortable with report it too a staff and or avoid rping with those people or just don’t give people minor perms on your animal

con

Level 6
loresaint
loresaint
Notable

This is an ic thing. Animal abuse can fall under simply kicking a fox. You can be arrested for that it’s a felony charge. Not all animal abuse is some horrific action of someone beating down an animal

As Eli said, there are laws against animal abuse as well as if something does happen that you’re uncomfortable with report it too a staff a
Like I stated, I'm not saying completely get rid of it. I am saying there are some situations that shouldn't be allowed in which refer to TORTURE and dragged out abuse of an animal. It's freaky, unnecessary, and just disgusting as a whole

Laws are IC, animal abuse is IC, yes, but there are scenarios in which are extremely gross for roleplay

Last edited:

con

Level 6
loresaint
loresaint
Notable
I edited my original suggestion and also changed the title of the thread to help clear up confusion and allow a better understanding of the point of this debate

I realised I wasn't as direct as I should've been when this was first posted

Last edited:

caysviee

Level 11
caysvie
caysvie
Rich
+1

Considering the fact that many people that play on SRP are in fact, fairly young; I do think there should be at least some sort of guidelines when it comes to something as sensitive as animal abuse.

cupidslover

Level 7
cupidslover
cupidslover
Notable+
+1,
I find it gross how this is allowed. Not only is it simply inhuman, but it also crosses a majority of people's morals.
Though that is my personal opinion, along with this EMS receives a lot of animal abuse-related calls even though they do not treat animals anymore and haven't for a while. Implementing this rule may help in reducing the number of injured animals EMS has to explain this to and turn away.

lamby :3

Level 29
Community Team
Event Team
octoplush
octoplush
Omega
+1
Should've been like this from the start, for those saying it ic it shouldn't make you uncomfortable it is it you're detailing it so maliciously like the actions I've seen, in the case where the dog or an animal is protecting their thats a whole other scenario.

philbertman42

Level 137
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I am not in favor of further inhibiting the freedom of players to roleplay, especially since the current ruleset is already somewhat restrictive.

Note, that just because someone's character does something that is morally wrong, does not mean that they as a person agree with or would do such things themselves. There are many characters in Karakura that are morally dark, and actions such as abusing animals not only make sense for them, but are an avenue for expressing / establishing their presence as a bad person and engaging people in roleplay. I agree it can be somewhat discomforting at times, but ultimately in an open roleplay setting you may run into things you would prefer not to see.

That being said, I don't think people should be forced into roleplaying out something uncomfortable for them if they don't want to. Assuming they clearly express their discomfort for a certain topic (such as animal abuse), then it shouldn't be allowed to continue to do such things with them; that much is just basic roleplay etiquette in the first place, and it's somewhat saddening to see isn't seen as common sense in this community.

Note, excessive and heavily detailed violence is already against the rules, according to 5.3b:
5.3b Do not reference/mention/act on any sensitive content through your character; this includes necrophilia, paedophilia, bestiality, cannibalism, sexual assault/harassment/****, or extensive gore (heavily detailed violence that is discomforting).
If someone is abusing an animal while using overly descriptive and/or intentionally discomforting language, report it to staff.

TLDR: I think that the current set of rules is good enough, it just needs to be followed and enforced better.
balls

Users who are viewing this thread