Status
Not open for further replies.

Cencres

Level 11
IGN: cencres
DATE: 11/1
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:

Add back the sorority and fraternity
I'm not really sure why it was removed in the first place, but with the current circumstances around activity having to do with the college side of the academics faction, I think looking back on its prime in the past would be beneficial.

With the team houses now being similar to the high schools setup, removed a big perk that likely led many to consider applying for college in the first place. The only differences that I can decipher between the college and high school side is the fact that it’s much harder to obtain the college role, among smaller things like character age; but the roleplay opportunities are practically the same. Which has ultimately led to college's downfall. The focus on making high school & college the exact same down to their discords truly doesn’t make sense to me, while it’s even, going through effort to obtain a role should come with differences. A popular complaint is that it doesn’t make sense to have a sorority and frat in a Japanese area, but I am well aware that sorority and fraternity is not a normal thing in Japan, although I can name 10 other things on SRP that reflect western culture and not Japanese in the slightest. Obviously since the Karakura universe was created by british people. It’s not even normal in western society to have high school sports teams own large houses at the center of town. That’s simply for roleplay, and it works.

A large issue that many people were concerned with during the era of the household was bias on the picking of members. And how many members that belonged to one team also made up household members. While that’s a valid concern, I believe that with re-adding a system obviously comes with changes. Before everything was mainly controlled by the leads of the sorority and frat, namely team captains. Which is why I think that if this was added a third time around, the college faction lead could be the one making most of the larger decisions like re-doing housing and deciding on members.

Lastly, in my head it’d still make sense for college teams to be able to keep their houses... at least some of them. (room would obviously need be made for a new lot) they are paying for them like any other home. They weren’t ever reserved in the first place anyway, but if this suggestion is considered, I'd suggest still putting the building in the main neighborhood. (just so that it’s easy to find...the shed died because of how far away it is and how it serves 0 purpose.)

tldr; add back the sorority and frat to help bring back some sort of difference between the sides of the academics faction, and do it in a way that is mainly controlled by the faction lead and SLT members rather than team members themselves to avoid any bias controversies.

that's my first suggestion

Bring back college applications
It’s not a secret that exam reviews can take longer than expected, and it’s clear why; they obviously just take time.. Likely due to the sheer amount. While this will decrease in the future, with a plugin (?) to mark them. Although exams still aren’t every month, and them being time-locked behind one day probably misses out on a larger chunk of the aspiring college students that could make up a larger college roster.

I’ll try to put it into perspective, at least my perspective..

College and Highschool are the same. (Already mentioned above.) They both have special areas, (shed, bowling alley) they both have housing for their teams, they both have the same teams, even the same discord servers.

If you were interested in joining a team, for example, the volleyball team, would you rather attend the tryouts next week for the high school team after you’ve reached grade 10 and have transitioned out of being a new player, or would you wait two months for the exams and another month to wait for them to be marked?
If you were interested in something only college students can do, for example becoming an adult through exams, would it be worth it to wait nine months, not even counting the fact that you may fail one of the exams? If I wanted an adult character, I'd interest myself in one of the careers obtainable through forum applications.

This suggestion is not to remove exams as a whole, if exams are limited to bachelor -> masters -> phd, they won't be pushed back due to receiving 240 in need of being marked. You could ask yourself, why would they even be necessary then? If college applications were added back, only for college bachelors, what would make people want to show up to become a masters student?
Add more to these titles. The only point of becoming a masters student is increasing your character's age, to my knowledge there hasn’t been anything but that despite what I've already mentioned. (Being able to move to PHD.) Maybe if you’re a masters student you can access dorm rooms, or if you’re a PHD student, you can become an apprentice to a doctor or a detective.

The reason college is failing with the same structure the high school side has always had is because of the sheer amount of students. There will always be more high school students, obviously, but back when applications did exist there was more balance in both numbers but also things like the frat & sorority filled in for a real reason to apply, to be included. I’m not making things up, because for teams that used to be constantly and consistently full with the same members for long periods of time, teams where people tried their hardest to potentially join and try out for, now are lucky if they receive just three people trying out at a tryout. I don’t know if it’s really the lack of students, or simply the appeal of the academics faction anymore, but I think considering these suggestions could help with both of those things.

ok that is all

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
explained above

Aania

Level 167
Administrator
News Lead
Government Lead
Aania
Aania
Omega+
Big fat NO

Sorority and frat were one of THE most toxic places in the server and probably one of the main reasons significant groups in the server were created. Most of what came from the households was drama, bullying, and other concerning happenings. It was a great place to hang out but quite a toxic environment. I believe it's not something SRP should have again.

minustempo

Level 35
minustempo
minustempo
Notable
Big fat NO

Sorority and frat were one of THE most toxic places in the server and probably one of the main reasons significant groups in the server were created. Most of what came from the households was drama, bullying, and other concerning happenings. It was a great place to hang out but quite a toxic environment. I believe it's not something SRP should have again.
was this ic or ooc

Cencres

Level 11
Big fat NO

I agree it was really toxic three years ago

Last edited:

Minobu

Level 218
Minobu
Minobu
Notable+
I will say entrances for getting into college right now (without the future plugin; whenever that’s happening) is a bit of a mazza. Cannot count the amount of people who have wanted to come to the college team but struggle to enter college itself

I don’t know if bringing back applications is necessarily the best fix. With 6 SLT it should probably be more manageable compared to how it was back then at least.

— As for sorority/ frat, it wasn’t entirely a toxic environment. It had its ups and downs and misadventures with leadership in many aspects as well. That being said bringing it back I’m sort of 50/50 about. Maybe bringing back a new area for Spartans to run in and connect with each other (other than school, and pre-planning via discord.) would be sort of coolio

Last edited:

Cencres

Level 11
I will say entrances for getting into college right now (without future plugin whenever that’s happening) is a bit of a mazza. Cannot count the amount of people who have wanted to come to the college team but struggle to enter college itself

I don’t know if bringing back applications is necessarily the best fix. With 6 SLT it should probably be more manageable compared to how it was back then.

— As for sorority/ frat, it wasn’t entirely a toxic environment. It had its ups and down and misadventures with leadership in many aspects as well. That being said bringing it back I’m sort of 50/50 about. But maybe bringing back a new area for Spartans to run in and connect with each other (other than school, and pre-planning via discord.) would be sort of coolio
I think if it was led by slt, it'd probably be less toxic than being led by team captains (not that the team captains were toxic. I mean the fact that it became a team environment rather than a college environment)

Demurity

Level 35
Eli captured feelings best on college entrances. Ideally plugin will make it better but man it's still frustrating

Mixed feelings on Sorofrat, but College needs a building akin to the bowling alley that isn't the Shed because the Shed is one of the most limiting and isolating buildings ever. @Shadonk put the issue of the shed best.
1667347525532.pngNot to mention, the shed in itself was made with little to no consultment with Spartan leaders at the time by 2 people using their privileges to build and implement it which they went on to completely abandon and disregard after they became bored of it (and realized parties were more than just putting down a few booths and decor & expecting people to show up)
I think if it was led by slt, it'd probably be less toxic than being led by team captains (not that the team captains were toxic. I mean the fact that it became a team environment rather than a college environment)
I do not think the exclusiveness of the Sorofrat should return. No matter who you have in charge, bias will ALWAYS come into play even if you try to avoid it. However!!!!!! Since typically these buildings are catered towards team events and such, having captains on equal level decisionmaking is most likely ideal for any sort of building. The bobcats have had a surefire system for ages in regards to the alley.

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+
Big fat NO

I'd like to give it another shot since this was a long time ago (unless if you mean it was ICly, i get bullied by the teams sometime till this day LOL)

The main reason I vote a +1 is also because majority of people in college are people who are more experienced thus meaning more interesting roleplay, it'd be nice to have a place where i dont have to search the whole map for interactions with college students

Lolo

Level 27
HaloBoss29
HaloBoss29
Notable+
+1/-1

College applications. yes. The exams are fairly pointless in comparison. You're telling me you'd let a student that's been in detention several times into College just because they got a good exam grade over a model student, who just so happened to get a lower grade on the exam. In addition, I'd rather not stress over a Minecraft test that comes once in a lifetime while already stressing about real exams in the back. It doesn't matter your background (unless you have a REALLY bad school history, like being suspended/expelled) if you get a bad grade you get a bad result, and a good grade you get a good result. Not all of us have the knowledge or motivation for these exams, a lot of us are much more skilled in writing rather than math or science. I've always been against the exam system, its a bit funky.

For the frats/sororities... I don't honestly agree with this. From my memory, they were honestly quite toxic (yes, I know this has already been covered several times on this post, but I just don't think its subject to change. My apologies.)

Cencres

Level 11
I do not think the exclusiveness of the Sorofrat should return. No matter who you have in charge, bias will ALWAYS come into play even if you try to avoid it. However!!!!!! Since typically these buildings are catered towards team events and such, having captains on equal level decisionmaking is most likely ideal for any sort of building. The bobcats have had a surefire system for ages in regards to the alley.
Yeah of course I mostly just meant the decisions I already listed,
the end decision of which members get implemented into the household after rush week (when spots are open)
housing. changing it.

I think events should def be player led and can only really be player led, slt are obviously more busy with school events. captains should already be taking charge of that atm too

Cencres

Level 11
For the frats/sororities... I don't honestly agree with this. From my memory, they were honestly quite toxic (yes, I know this has already been covered several times on this post, but I just don't think its subject to change. My apologies.)
If you're comfortable explaining this more specifically, (not in terms of one situation, just something specific to the houses other than toxic) because ever since around 2021 I don't believe the households have been super toxic. There's obviously been small situations but the reason of the removal was likely for realism although im not rlly sure (?)

Minobu

Level 218
Minobu
Minobu
Notable+
I'd like to give it another shot since this was a long time ago (unless if you mean it was ICly, i get bullied by the teams sometime till this day LOL)

The main reason I vote a +1 is also because majority of people in college are people who are more experienced thus meaning more interesting roleplay, it'd be nice to have a place where i dont have to search the whole map for interactions with college students
honestly the main toxicity sprouted from toxic people who literally are banned now permanently and ranging from permanent to unappeable for some, from multiple occasions; to be fair it’s bad apples ruining the outlook but that’s also because it was primarily player ran

(at least from an outside perspective, I wasn’t too involved in the frat at the time since I wasn’t really captain of Volleyball at the time; and the team itself was quite inactive.)

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
The higher-ups in the community can look back on the mistakes of the previous frat / sorority and come up with better means to run them. There's no reason to shy away from trying things multiple times, even if they've failed in the past; we have plenty of competent people in the community, I'm sure the guys in charge of this will be able to snuff out any toxicity before it gets too out of hand. We also now have 2 additional SLT members, one of who could oversee the entire thing to make sure previous mistakes aren't repeated. Personally, I see no reason why we shouldn't give it another shot, provided we have proper management to run it and give it the attention it needs to thrive.

College applications would be cool. I don't get why SLT wants people to go through the IC process of taking a test based on their OOC knowledge; I, for one, think the exams sound incredibly boring, and even though I'm interested in reclaiming a spot in college, I plan to never take it. I would much rather write my way in, similarly to how you might write a cover letter that you would submit with your IRL college application.

Last edited:

Lolo

Level 27
HaloBoss29
HaloBoss29
Notable+
If you're comfortable explaining this more specifically, (not in terms of one situation, just something specific to the houses other than toxic) because ever since around 2021 I don't believe the households have been super toxic. There's obviously been small situations but the reason of the removal was likely for realism although im not rlly sure (?)
My reasonings were previously stated by other members; I am unsure how it was in 2021, but seeing as half of the SRP community is moderately toxic nowadays, I do not believe it will end well. Before, there was a lot of bullying and harassment in the houses along with unwanted and unnecessary drama. This happens enough without the sororities and frat houses now, I believe adding them back will not only increase, but encourage such behaviors. Again, my apologies. I do think your post is very important and well-thought-out, especially the college suggestion, and I thank you for that.

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+
honestly the main toxicity sprouted from toxic people who literally are banned now permanently and ranging from permanent to unappeable for some, from multiple occasions; to be fair it’s bad apples ruining the outlook but that’s also because it was primarily player ran

(at least from an outside perspective, I wasn’t too involved in the frat at the time since I wasn’t really captain of Volleyball at the time; and the team itself was quite inactive.)

I'd assume so

For the times I went there, I never saw toxicity

Though....... even so, i dont think it'll be coming back. there's no room for it anymore so this'll get denied either way

also the college application part would most likely get denied as well, it'd be removing exams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"well............ you can just get adult role!" as stated before, this is schoolrp, not cityrp, that'd make getting adult too easy

Cencres

Level 11
but seeing as half of the SRP community is moderately toxic nowadays, I do not believe it will end well.
If it's the players that are the problem, why aren't we experiencing toxicity now with team houses?

obviously it's a problem if people are uncomfortable with toxic players, it's normal. i'm glad people are sharing that in this post
but I don't think that automatically associating sorority & frat with a toxic environment automatically makes much sense. i want people reading this suggestion to take it from a perspective of something new, rather than something that will reflect the old households to a t

Cencres

Level 11
also the college application part would most likely get denied as well, it'd be removing exams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This suggestion is not to remove exams as a whole, if exams are limited to bachelor -> masters -> phd, they won't be pushed back due to receiving 240 in need of being marked. You could ask yourself, why would they even be necessary then? If college applications were added back, only for college bachelors, what would make people want to show up to become a masters student?
Add more to these titles. The only point of becoming a masters student is increasing your character's age, to my knowledge there hasn’t been anything but that despite what I've already mentioned. (Being able to move to PHD.) Maybe if you’re a masters student you can access dorm rooms, or if you’re a PHD student, you can become an apprentice to a doctor or a detective.

with the announcement of exams slt already said that from phd u can become an adult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread