Status
Not open for further replies.

HATOLA

Level 271
HATOLA
HATOLA
Rich+
-1 to sorofrat
It's unfair to be judged by only 2-5 higher ups. I wasn't a member of there, and saying it from a perspective of a person who wasn't there, it's not cool at all to be judged only by specific people and I assume only the "popular" onces.

Cencres

Level 11
-1 to sorofrat
It's unfair to be judged by only 2-5 higher ups. I wasn't a member of there, and saying it from a perspective of a person who wasn't there, it's not cool at all to be judged only by specific people and I assume only the "popular" onces.

A large issue that many people were concerned with during the era of the household was bias on the picking of members. And how many members that belonged to one team also made up household members. While that’s a valid concern, I believe that with re-adding a system obviously comes with changes. Before everything was mainly controlled by the leads of the sorority and frat, namely team captains. Which is why I think that if this was added a third time around, the college faction lead could be the one making most of the larger decisions like re-doing housing and deciding on members.
As someone actually apart of the sorority and fraternity, you didn't get in based on "popularity points"
Rush weeks are hosted where many students basically compete for the role through roleplay, to get into the household is by being a good enough roleplayer. That was it, no requirements for teams. All you had to be to attend these rush weeks were a college student. I went through this process to get into the household

My suggestion explains how SLT (college leader) would be the people who make the last decisions on who gets through and who doesn't, while bias may occur with any decision the way you explained that doesn't make sense because any way to get a role through SRP is judged by a certain few people. Teams, council, bmd, police, everything. Obviously the people at the top of these rosters that are making these decisions will be "popular", someone who makes their way to the top and receives roles like that won't be a nobody

Big fat NO

Sorority and frat were one of THE most toxic places in the server and probably one of the main reasons significant groups in the server were created. Most of what came from the households was drama, bullying, and other concerning happenings. It was a great place to hang out but quite a toxic environment. I believe it's not something SRP should have again.
Completely agree + the main house burnt down for a reason, it was mostly staff members and was completely unobtainable unless you had any sort of staff connection or were popular on the server

Cencres

Level 11
No. Japan doesn't even have sororities and fraternities, just do clubs
Highschool sports teams in japan don't own large townhouses at the center of town? Student councils don't own towers in Japan?

Some people don't read replies but I think Yume_ explains this the best, this is a Minecraft roleplay server and seriously doesn't need to be an exact replica of Japan. I don't think it makes sense for staff to get to pick and choose which can be done for the sake of realism, and which can't. Especially since I doubt a great deal of research has been done for some of the systems on this server in general. (It was a fight for male cheerleaders to get added, despite that being a normal thing in Japan.)
ON THE NOTE OF SOROFRAT:
It is almost funny seeing all of my predictions come true, and I'm glad someone is speaking up about it. Realism is beginning to hurt the server because people are forgetting that we are in a roleplay that's set in fictional Japan. Who says we can't have the sorofrat? We're in an international exchange school! It's something that's meant to be fun... But most importantly? It acted as a giant physical mixer. There were people inside the sorofrat area with tags, without tags, on different teams, etc. It was an easy place to run in to other college students. (Plus any time a younger kid walked in, it fueled an interaction) I was reading the thread about community problems recently, and there were at least a few that mentioned the fact players feel more distant now than they did before.

Bonus note on realism: If you can find a way to make your "unrealistic" unique thing believable, I'm all for it. Roleplay itself should be prioritized over realism.

HATOLA

Level 271
HATOLA
HATOLA
Rich+
Rush weeks are hosted where many students basically compete for the role through roleplay, to get into the household is by being a good enough roleplayer. That was it, no requirements for teams. All you had to be to attend these rush weeks were a college student. I went through this process to get into the household
In the end of the rush week only the members' friends got in sadly so it didn't help at all and again, it wasn't fair at all.

Lizalopod

Level 130

Too many paragraphs so gonna keep it simple
Sorofrat was removed for a reason, too restrictive and didn't work. If we want Spartans to be more alive it should include all Spartans, not just a specific group of friendssss

Cencres

Level 11
In the end of the rush week only the members' friends got in sadly so it didn't help at all and again, it wasn't fair at all.
It quite literally was I don't really know what to tell you

It makes sense for people already apart of the sorority and frat to suggest to their friends to join rush week, but as someone who both went to rush week and was on the other end (back when there was sorority and frat leads) we just chose good role-players, and obviously those players had more of a presence since they had been playing for a long time and developing their roleplay. Most of the people who got into the last rush week weren't even apart of teams and everyone had an equal chance

The misconception that college teams, captains, etc. were hugely bias is one of the reasons it had such a big downfall. so many teams were wiped because of this when it's natural to become friends with team members and other college students

Cencres

Level 11

Too many paragraphs so gonna keep it simple
Sorofrat was removed for a reason, too restrictive and didn't work. If we want Spartans to be more alive it should include all Spartans, not just a specific group of friendssss
I believe it was removed for realism and just a general change

You're saying the frat & sorority was too restrictive when it constantly hosted special events just for college students, had its backyard constantly opened and invited roleplay in (before I was apart of it in 2021, I mainly went there to roleplay despite not being a household member) and had rush weeks that invited all college students in for a chance to compete to get in via roleplay

If you want to speak about restrictions, what have the team houses been doing for college? College is a smaller community since the role is harder to obtain, which is why an area like the sorority and fraternity was vital for any roleplay between college students after and during school. What is more restricting, team homes where only the members have keys, that only the members friends are usually invited into, excluding the general college public, or a space where most people can be let in by befriending one of the twenty household members either icly or oocly, along with a backyard that is open to everyone and not just people who gained the trust of members?

You may have noticed that I'm speaking about this in a way not dwelling on the past, because i truly believe it wont be the same and it's not going to be a copy and paste from one year ago. That mentality isn't there for team wiping, and when some teams have been wiped they've improved from the past, so why can't the sorority and fraternity? College needs a big change right now to really fix it, since all the small changes have gone unnoticed, it really needs more community.

The sorority and frat roster was large, and continued expanding. With only around 20 household member spots, exclusion is inevitable. That's with quite literally every single roster on this server. People will be excluded. It's not special to the sorority and frat, and not everyone can be included in something like that off the bat. What they can do is put effort into roleplaying with people inside the household if they really want to make connections past the constant events, and roleplay in areas open to everyone.

anders

Level 12
diskou
diskou
Omega
+1
In the past, college seemed super desirable because it seemed like a community within a community, and I think a lot of that is gone because there aren't many opportunities for college students to interact. I don't even bother with taking the exam for my high school characters because I feel like being in high school has more opportunities. I genuinely really, really want a fraternity/sorority system to be re-introduced, but completely reworked from the previous system. "Greek Life" is a perfect way to have a college exclusive club.

Lizalopod

Level 130
I believe it was removed for realism and just a general change

You're saying the frat & sorority was too restrictive when it constantly hosted special events just for college students, had its backyard constantly opened and invited roleplay in (before I was apart of it in 2021, I mainly went there to roleplay despite not being a household member) and had rush weeks that invited all college students in for a chance to compete to get in via roleplay

If you want to speak about restrictions, what have the team houses been doing for college? College is a smaller community since the role is harder to obtain, which is why an area like the sorority and fraternity was vital for any roleplay between college students after and during school. What is more restricting, team homes where only the members have keys, that only the members friends are usually invited into, excluding the general college public, or a space where most people can be let in by befriending one of the twenty household members either icly or oocly, along with a backyard that is open to everyone and not just people who gained the trust of members?

You may have noticed that I'm speaking about this in a way not dwelling on the past, because i truly believe it wont be the same and it's not going to be a copy and paste from one year ago. That mentality isn't there for team wiping, and when some teams have been wiped they've improved from the past, so why can't the sorority and fraternity? College needs a big change right now to really fix it, since all the small changes have gone unnoticed, it really needs more community.

The sorority and frat roster was large, and continued expanding. With only around 20 household member spots, exclusion is inevitable. That's with quite literally every single roster on this server. People will be excluded. It's not special to the sorority and frat, and not everyone can be included in something like that off the bat. What they can do is put effort into roleplaying with people inside the household if they really want to make connections past the constant events, and roleplay in areas open to everyone.
I agree that the houses are pretty restrictive and that there needs to be a better hub for Spartans that isn't forgotten in the forest, but so is a sorofrat that's limited in who can be around there.

Bobcats are way more active and stuff right now, and they don't have a sorofrat. Idk if it would really be the best move, we honestly just need more events and for Spartans to be involved more.

(Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I was never in the sorofrat so *shrug*. S just me opinion)

Mariav

Level 211
itsmariav
itsmariav
Omega
-1 for sorofrat and applications but hear me out

The bobcats do not have a sorofrat. They have a basement under the bowling alley and the palour. I do agree that the shed is way too far away and the spartans should also have a territory. I do not have any ideas in mind at the moment but what if we came up with something else instead? Somewhere in the city (with a better location) where the spartans could hang out more and also have something little to take care of just like the ice cream parlour? I think would be way better

The only place that is on my mind atm is the second floor of the club luxe (that is way too big, HUGE.) but what if we grab a big chunk of it to be a smaller club and the rest of it as a hangout area? with a gym, movie room, game room... NOT BEDROOMS

Cencres

Level 11
I agree that the houses are pretty restrictive and that there needs to be a better hub for Spartans that isn't forgotten in the forest, but so is a sorofrat that's limited in who can be around there.

Bobcats are way more active and stuff right now, and they don't have a sorofrat. Idk if it would really be the best move, we honestly just need more events and for Spartans to be involved more.

(Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I was never in the sorofrat so *shrug*. S just me opinion)

For your second point I already mentioned that bobcats haven't really needed a hub or anything like the bowling alley because of the amount of them, and how it's always going to be double the size of college. If a bobcat event is announced on the server, people show up not for the reason to intergrade themselves in the community, simply just because they see that their a bobcat and that's the reason they go. Over time those people become apart of the bobcat community, which basically means it has constant growth. (By community, I mean closer in terms of teams or councils, not simply having the highschool role)

The reason College needs a hub is because their community is so disconnected, for college to work there needs to be events and gatherings like in the past, ways that all college students can interact with each other. College doesn't have the luxury of full teams, populated events, and active members because nobody wants to be in college. The reason I think a sorofrat is the best move is because it stays consistent and won't die out.
If we desperately need events and involvement, which we do, those are two things the sorority and fraternity can solve.

I'm going to lightly dwell on the past, like most of these other replies, but in a less negative light. When college was created (I don't mean the initial role, I mean all of the teams) the reason it skyrocketed so well with the player base is because of the sorority and frat. That's why people wanted to become a college student and try out for teams, to both make connections with the team members inside of the household and also be included. Anyone who played in 2019 knows that

The only limits to where people can be in the sorority and frat are directly inside the houses, but I think players should still make an effort to do those things. Like I said, literally everything on this server has a small bit of exclusivity, not everyone will be included without putting in any effort at all. Things are constantly given to srp players for free, which isn't bad but some things have to be earned, especially since it's a perk. The events are for everyone, usually the backyard is too. It can even be made bigger if this suggestion were to be accepted to create a larger hub.

Cencres

Level 11
-1 for sorofrat and applications but hear me out

The bobcats do not have a sorofrat. They have a basement under the bowling alley and the palour. I do agree that the shed is way too far away and the spartans should also have a territory. I do not have any ideas in mind at the moment but what if we came up with something else instead? Somewhere in the city (with a better location) where the spartans could hang out more and also have something little to take care of just like the ice cream parlour? I think would be way better

The only place that is on my mind atm is the second floor of the club luxe (that is way too big, HUGE.) but what if we grab a big chunk of it to be a smaller club and the rest of it as a hangout area? with a gym, movie room, game room... NOT BEDROOMS
For your second point I already mentioned that bobcats haven't really needed a hub or anything like the bowling alley because of the amount of them, and how it's always going to be double the size of college. If a bobcat event is announced on the server, people show up not for the reason to intergrade themselves in the community, simply just because they see that their a bobcat and that's the reason they go. Over time those people become apart of the bobcat community, which basically means it has constant growth. (By community, I mean closer in terms of teams or councils, not simply having the highschool role)

The reason College needs a hub is because their community is so disconnected, for college to work there needs to be events and gatherings like in the past, ways that all college students can interact with each other. College doesn't have the luxury of full teams, populated events, and active members because nobody wants to be in college. The reason I think a sorofrat is the best move is because it stays consistent and won't die out.
If we desperately need events and involvement, which we do, those are two things the sorority and fraternity can solve.

ReverendDubs

Level 15
Revra
Revra
Notable
In my personal opinion, Spartan activity started to decrease when the Frat burned down. The shed was given in exchange but only did so much for the Spartans event, previous Spartan heads tried bringing more events to the shed and for a bit it worked, thats died and now we’re in our current situation. The Frat had some bad parts I’ll say that, but it did good for Spartans activity no doubt which is why in my personal opinion it should be brought back or be given a way better hub than the shed.

suu

Level 38
TanoshiiDays
TanoshiiDays
Rich+
-1 yes

Don't take it personally, but as someone who tried once in the rush week and failed, upon knowing only members' friends were let in, I found it very unfair to those who are regular players with no "connections" with people within the frat.

As mentioned before by other members above, it was unfair and seemed kind of bias like, how are players supposed to develop their rp if they're not given any chances to do so? If we want activity in college, it is about time to change the community's thoughts about not so popular players as if they don't care, I met quite good ropers that weren't that popular and their RP was very good but the issue was they weren't friends of popular players.

We want college activity, of course, but doesn't seem like we want to change our mind and actually include or give other players a chance to prove themselves.

Cencres

Level 11
-1 yes

Don't take it personally, but as someone who tried once in the rush week and failed, upon knowing only members' friends were let in, I found it very unfair to those who are regular players with no "connections" with people within the frat.

As mentioned before by other members above, it was unfair and seemed kind of bias like, how are players supposed to develop their rp if they're not given any chances to do so? If we want activity in college, it is about time to change the community's thoughts about not so popular players as if they don't care, I met quite good ropers that weren't that popular and their RP was very good but the issue was they weren't friends of popular players.

We want college activity, of course, but doesn't seem like we want to change our mind and actually include or give other players a chance to prove themselves.
I already explained three times above that it's not rigged. To get into college you've had to develop your roleplay, that's what makes the sorority and fraternity achievable. No players are popular now, because there's no college community so I wouldn't even worry about that..
Using the fact that you weren't accepted into the house in one of the rush weeks doesn't mean that it's because of bias. Like I said, every roster on srp is somewhat exclusive. Not everyone was going to get accepted, the same way not everyone is going to get brought onto a team or profession

I also already explained how the last say would ideally be an SLT, to avoid the hoaxes around a rigged household.
Its disappointing how many people automatically look past my suggestion because they are simply associating my suggestion with the past households, I've already explained all of it in the initial suggestion

Demurity

Level 35
THE PROBLEM IS THE SHED
IT WAS MADE TO COMBAT THE SOROFRAT AT THE TIME AND THEN COMPLETELY NEGLECTED BY ITS FOUNDERS
IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE AS CONVENIENT AS BOWLING ALLEY WHICH IS WHY PEOPLE WANT SOROFRAT BACK BECAUSE IT WAS THE CLOSER AND BETTER OPTION FOR SPARTANS
GIVE SPARTANS LIKE A GYM OR SOMETHING. PLEASE
ALSO DO NOT PUT ANY SMALL GROUP IN CHARGE OF DECISIONMAKING FOR A LARGER POPULATION THE SOROFRAT WAS AN OLIGARCHY AND PUTTING SLT IN CHARGE WILL JUST DO THE SAME (PROUD EX-OLIGARCH THOUGH)
THE REST OF THIS SUGGESTION IS GOING TO BE ME COHERENTLY DEFENDING MYSELF BECAUSE I WAS SORORITY LEADER FROM APRIL 2021 TO ITS DEMISE IN 2022 SO IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING THAT GO ON

Can't speak for all rushweek decisionmaking when I was absent during a couple of the cuts but we actually did have a criteria and process to attempt to make it fair. We did genuinely make cuts on the first day based on a lot of stuff about RP quality but it wasn't as much as 'connections' as much as people who were unafraid to actually engage in RP outside a small group. You genuinely had to be brave both IC and OOC to go through, as well as have a readable and interesting (non-Mary Sue) roleplay style.

Most of the round 1 cuts were made due to people keeping to themselves and not reaching out to RP unless directly instructed to. Round 2 got very difficult because at that point everyone was usually great and we had to nitpick.

I never liked the exclusiveness. Although you have to admit that the competition aspect was a HUGE motivator for college because it was one of the privileges.

I did put a whole lot of effort into Sorofrat. Me and @rinis worked our asses off to continue planning and hosting incredible, engaging events and that was the whole reason I was granted Sorority Leader in 2021 in the first place. I did my best to prioritize these things of cliqueness and avoid the rest, but at the same time..... it's a fucking Sorority/Fraternity. I don't know if any of you guys have had actual experience with American colleges, but these things were competitive and exclusive. We tried not to let it bleed out OOC but unfortunately oftentimes had to do eliminations because we would get a tip off about someone being toxic or making 5 people inside uncomfortable and it was less of a hassle to adjust that way. WE DID!!! Have one situation where like 4/5 people left out of protest. Unapologetic about that, it was toxic. Most of the decisions were made to satisfy the majority, and at the time there were 3 huge groups that were all tense with one another. I'm informed that my group was called untouchable, but quite honestly, the cheerleader character dominated group was literally being TOLD by staff at the time that it would be better for rivalry if our characters acted bitchy. We kept that toxicity as IC as possible and even limited it when necessary. I was a pretty kind direct messager and whenever I oversaw rush weeks I would do my best to avoid bias and make the criteria as clear as possible.

At the end of the day, though...one wrong move and everyone hated you. Don't doubt that I made mistakes and most of the people affected by these know as I have made my apologies, but for the most part it was very difficult to keep diverse player population satisfied with a high level of exclusion and the desire to try to keep things IC. I've since received multiple screenshots since my time in two leadership positions (Sorority leader & cheer captain) in which multiple prominent players (even a staff member once after I gave a direct apology for a fully ic situation) calling me a bitch. The worst part was that when I first got the role, I made a promise to try and be as unbiased as possible. But I'll let actual people who were involved / within the Sorofrat be the jury.

Edit: When I was told that the sorofrat was being removed, I was genuinely so relieved as it felt like this huge weight was lifted from my shoulders.

The part where this turns back into feedback

There were a LOT of beautiful events that came out of the space. It was convenient, close by, and typically accessible to all. All of these things the Bowling Alley still retains and thrives off of, but Spartans long for a close by community near all their team houses that can bring back the easy, believable, and fun spark of the Sorofrat which is why the demand for it to return is so high.

For the sake of whoever is still a Spartan (since shit, a lot of you guys are jumping ship!!!! LLLL) college should learn from both of these failed college hangouts and take what was best from both to create something new. New beginnings, and one that isn't in an untouchable region in the woods far away from everything and covered by trees. Shopping district or business park nearness would be best especially since that's also close to team houses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread