players online

FEEDBACK | Kill Permissions Re-Evaluation

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
-1 / +1

Gangs need to be able to be disbanded via pure force, otherwise the only way gangs will ever disband is out of inactivity (which may just prop up the 'proposed' dying of gangrp everybody keeps on throwing about). Whilst there are some really good merits to this idea I think this could also very much harm the GangRP community. Whilst I would love to see this feedback passed -- I do think we need to take a deep consideration into ways that ensure gangs still do suffer from losing. PERHAPS -- If you get majored than you can't gangrp for a week / you are barred from that specific gang for a month? Something like that to make sure gangrp wars are not endless or that there is an actual consequence to losing a gangrp conflict outside of police interactions.

I feel like I see a lot of non-gangrpers blindly +1'ing the thread without really considering the potential consequences of this. There needs to be a bit more duality if we're going to straight up remove a massive factor. -- Also, I think we should take a look at our sister server (FantasyRP) and the way they themselves handle kill permissions as it's a lot better than what the current proposal is.

suneaterchan

Level 105
i don't have an exact +1 or -1 to give this and it's not really neutral either idk

I think in hindsight? It'd be a great idea.. it'd essentially force our beloved GangRPers into finding new crimes to commit. They'd have to get more creative, and in the long run, I truly believe it'd be beneficial for the server. IF the community teams (most staff) were more lenient when it came to what you can and can't do. Unfortunately, they really do not permit people much creative freedom at all. You will be told you can do something, then be met with "FailRP" or "Metagame" or something else stupid because people in SchoolRP don't like to lose. It's all about creativity and freedom until someone loses their advantage, and I think this is what's going to end up killing the entirety of crime-related roleplay. Even then, it might be nice to have more focus on the "school" part of SchoolRP, since... in all honesty, it's been the same rinse and recycle material for the past two or three years. Some real effort and compassion put into would be nice to see but that's a feedback for another time...

Anyways, if even the most looked down upon players were permitted more freedom and leniency and cut just a little more slack? I think it'd be awesome. I do hate how cops get a huge buff out of this though. I think it's unfair that they don't have to ask and can just shoot down your character like it's nothing- it's an advantage that unbalances everything more than it already is.

All in all I'm more of a roleplay, story-writing, character-developing kinda gal so for the most part? I'm for it... with alterations to fit our community better and to offer more balance. Accommodations to the little gangster of SRP are going to have to be made, and some people are going to have to pull the sticks out of their asses and be alright with it. It's Minecraft, and at the end of the day, it doesn't fucking matter if you get the arrest or warn or not. We're here to have fun and write and contribute to a story together... not see who can get the highest body count.

I'm not sure if any of this was coherent but tldr cut gangrpers some slack and things will get more creative but dont buff the kpd too much

Hostage situations are going to be brought to a whole new level if this suggestion goes through with enough positive feedback.

This makes me really excited though. I'd definitely love to see more story-driven scenarios, but I don't want things to be cut down entirely since I think everyone would like if everyone had a fun awesome time. I think trying to tend to both sides of the whole shebang would be very slay

Ruin

Level 104
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
i don't have an exact +1 or -1 to give this and it's not really neutral either idk

I think in hindsight? It'd be a great idea.. it'd essentially force our beloved GangRPers into finding new crimes to commit. They'd have to get more creative, and in the long run, I truly believe it'd be beneficial for the server. IF the community teams (most staff) were more lenient when it came to what you can and can't do. Unfortunately, they really do not permit people much creative freedom at all. You will be told you can do something, then be met with "FailRP" or "Metagame" or something else stupid because people in SchoolRP don't like to lose. It's all about creativity and freedom until someone loses their advantage, and I think this is what's going to end up killing the entirety of crime-related roleplay. Even then, it might be nice to have more focus on the "school" part of SchoolRP, since... in all honesty, it's been the same rinse and recycle material for the past two or three years. Some real effort and compassion put into would be nice to see but that's a feedback for another time...

Anyways, if even the most looked down upon players were permitted more freedom and leniency and cut just a little more slack? I think it'd be awesome. I do hate how cops get a huge buff out of this though. I think it's unfair that they don't have to ask and can just shoot down your character like it's nothing- it's an advantage that unbalances everything more than it already is.

All in all I'm more of a roleplay, story-writing, character-developing kinda gal so for the most part? I'm for it... with alterations to fit our community better and to offer more balance. Accommodations to the little gangster of SRP are going to have to be made, and some people are going to have to pull the sticks out of their asses and be alright with it. It's Minecraft, and at the end of the day, it doesn't fucking matter if you get the arrest or warn or not. We're here to have fun and write and contribute to a story together... not see who can get the highest body count.

I'm not sure if any of this was coherent but tldr cut gangrpers some slack and things will get more creative but dont buff the kpd too much

This makes me really excited though. I'd definitely love to see more story-driven scenarios, but I don't want things to be cut down entirely since I think everyone would like if everyone had a fun awesome time. I think trying to tend to both sides of the whole shebang would be very slay
so true suneaterchan
(w reply)

jugheads

Level 6
jugheads
jugheads
Notable
+1

Personally, I agree because of the time and detail we put into characters just for them to usually get killed/removed (as stated). It doesn't necessarily hurt (for myself at least) but over time you begin to grow a bond with the character even if they are made up and in a video game. You start to like what they do, and how they act and basically become them as playing. For example; I know that shishi has a huge bond with her character Lorenza, and sometimes it's hard to want to let them go or get them removed.

-0.5??

I agree with this fully, but maybe there should be a difference between people joining gangs or officers in the force. I think that some people in roles like that should just have to forcefully agree; I know it's a giant problem with throw-away characters, etc. But wouldn't it be wrongful to just allow officers or important players in gangs to never be able to die? Even if the motive is strong enough? For example; KPS is gained on a KPD member, however, was granted the KPS can fulfill it out, or try at least (no validation that the character can die). I think there deserves to be a line that can't be crossed; for example a gang fight, I understand the owners of the gangs usually already allow and consent. But if this is added wouldn't everyone else need to give consent if the fight goes into 'battle towards the death'? I fully agree with this and think it should be added; just think there should be a rule against any KPD member(s) who gives the VALID permission shouldn't give consent, so their character is just always in it? Same with the side gangs? Just my view at least.

I think this could work, but needs worked out more and more look into it to make it 'fair' towards everyone!

hebwig

Level 111
-1 | I may be KPD but it removes most Roleplay and realistic aspects of SRP, in the real world anyone can die to others and is unexpected.

I'd take a look at the thread. The real unrealism we're facing in GangRP are the high schoolers who are mass murderers, consistent character death without any lore behind it, the existence of throwaways who have no chance of flourishing in the setting (because no one cares for the setting since their character is just going to die if they choose to get involved with crime), and will actually benefit roleplay (if you read the thread). However, I do appreciate this reply a ton!! Receiving input from someone who is a KPD officer is super beneficial.

-1 i agree, this kinda removes the fun and the risk. whats the point of sm1 killing another if that dude is able to get up back as if nothing happend

The risk is the KPD now. You want to intricately plan your crimes so that they don't find you, as they are the one exception (minus third party deals with BMD) to the consenting. Risk also exists in who you allow in your inner circle in-roleplay as they could be the person who takes your limb or eyes or kidnaps you for several days on end (as that would be one of the new additions if this is accepted). The risk should not be the consequences of killing another character. As I stated in another reply, forced / permanent character death is extremely frowned upon in roleplay communities and is a huge part as to why GangRP does not have a good reputation now. I made this suggestion while also consulting other GangRPers for the better of them. Thank you for your input, though!! You are a heavily-involved member in GangRP & I appreciate it a lot. Consider looking at this from a perspective of someone who likes to roleplay rather than someone who roleplays in gangs just for the risk. It's not all about the risk is what I'm saying.

-1 / +1

Gangs need to be able to be disbanded via pure force, otherwise the only way gangs will ever disband is out of inactivity (which may just prop up the 'proposed' dying of gangrp everybody keeps on throwing about). Whilst there are some really good merits to this idea I think this could also very much harm the GangRP community. Whilst I would love to see this feedback passed -- I do think we need to take a deep consideration into ways that ensure gangs still do suffer from losing. PERHAPS -- If you get majored than you can't gangrp for a week / you are barred from that specific gang for a month? Something like that to make sure gangrp wars are not endless or that there is an actual consequence to losing a gangrp conflict outside of police interactions.

I feel like I see a lot of non-gangrpers blindly +1'ing the thread without really considering the potential consequences of this. There needs to be a bit more duality if we're going to straight up remove a massive factor. -- Also, I think we should take a look at our sister server (FantasyRP) and the way they themselves handle kill permissions as it's a lot better than what the current proposal is.

Yep. Gangs will get to thrive a lot longer now with this addition. It's not a bad thing if they aren't able to be disbanded by pure force (which they very well could be if another gang manages to challenge them to a massive extent with major assault permissions, kidnapping, and overall attacking their reputation / police get on their case), because it'll allow for more interesting roleplay experiences. I do like the idea about barring someone away from GangRP for a week if they do get majorly assaulted; however, that would limit roleplay. As Sun mentions in the reply that I'm about to mention below, limiting writing and creative freedom is not ideal. Thank you for your input, though!! You are definitely a veteran player & you brought in some new insight that I didn't consider before. I appreciate it!

When we make kill permissions an OOC consent thing only, we remove a lot of the argument that comes with GangRP. I can't speak for other staff members (even if I would like to) as you have your own experience in the staff team, but I'm never actively looking to limit someone's creativity under the excuse of "FailRP" or "Metagame." A good ninety-percent of the time, a staff member is punishing someone for that because it is valid — and, if it's not (and you know that their motives are with ill-intention), that's when you report that staff member using the Staff Report section on this forum.

The reason why we aren't going to do FantasyRP's system of consulting a lore team member / staff member for validity behind kill permissions goes hand-in-hand with T3OTO's concerns and your mention of leniency. Some staff members may be more lenient about motives behind killing than others, and it would only result in more arguments. . .which is one thing we're trying to knock down a little bit with this addition. I hope that makes sense. My goal (and many other staff members as well) is never to limit someone's creativity — it's to expand it. That's why I'm making this suggestion. However, thank you a ton for your input!!! You are a former staff member & a long-time player, so I definitely appreciate your insight on this and for giving a new perspective. I'm excited that you're excited.

+1

Personally, I agree because of the time and detail we put into characters just for them to usually get killed/removed (as stated). It doesn't necessarily hurt (for myself at least) but over time you begin to grow a bond with the character even if they are made up and in a video game. You start to like what they do, and how they act and basically become them as playing. For example; I know that shishi has a huge bond with her character Lorenza, and sometimes it's hard to want to let them go or get them removed.

-0.5??

I agree with this fully, but maybe there should be a difference between people joining gangs or officers in the force. I think that some people in roles like that should just have to forcefully agree; I know it's a giant problem with throw-away characters, etc. But wouldn't it be wrongful to just allow officers or important players in gangs to never be able to die? Even if the motive is strong enough? For example; KPS is gained on a KPD member, however, was granted the KPS can fulfill it out, or try at least (no validation that the character can die). I think there deserves to be a line that can't be crossed; for example a gang fight, I understand the owners of the gangs usually already allow and consent. But if this is added wouldn't everyone else need to give consent if the fight goes into 'battle towards the death'? I fully agree with this and think it should be added; just think there should be a rule against any KPD member(s) who gives the VALID permission shouldn't give consent, so their character is just always in it? Same with the side gangs? Just my view at least.

I think this could work, but needs worked out more and more look into it to make it 'fair' towards everyone!

I'm a little confused by your latter point. Did you read the thread (more specifically, the additions section)? It's easy to miss, but police officers are most affected by this as they are the ones who can kill without consent AND can be killed without consent (if they choose to act on their unconsenting kill permissions). If that's not what you're trying to say, feel free to correct me. Thank you for giving your input, though!! I'm appreciating everyone's replies a ton so far & it's nice to have a discussion about a massive change like this.

Kuzroo

Level 4
-1 It wouldn't make sense or else there would be 0 killings in karakura at all, no one is going to give consent to their character being killed, only a small percentage of people will. Most people care about their characters a lot and will never dare to put their character on risk due to the heavy amount of character development and what it took to create their character and what their character has gone through. I think it would be better if we can go to a lore team member or a staff member and give them reasons on how and why we would kill someones character, call it a "CK"/ character kill request. And if they accept it we could fully kill that persons character but if our character dies during the CK attempt/process, we lose our character permanently as well. There could also be the same scenarios that could escalate/ lead to kill perms, but instead it could be "new life rule" or your character is dead for a certain amount of time until you can use it again instead of KPS, since to have KPS you'd have to make a CK request to gain KPS approved by a staff member or lore team member.

I heavily recommend this because every KPS/CK request is approved by staff/lore team which means the other party who is being killed can not pause rp or start arguing in /looc, and for the CK request to be accepted, it should be something that would make a lot of sense, for an example a rival gang member that you know icly has been tormenting and killing your gang members left and right, and you really want to CK them and you have valid reasoning, then that should be accepted by a staff member or lore team member to CK the rival gang member, but after that's accepted and your character dies during the CK attempt, your character get's CK'D, permanent which means your character is killed.

It's a good request to make and after a CK request is accepted, you have unlimited attempts into killing their character permanently but every attempt you do puts your character at risk to be ck'd, and if the opposition's party knows your character icly and knows you attempted to CK them, they gain CK permissions on you and can attempt to get you back until you or the person you had the CK request accepted on finally gets taken down. This does not apply for the gang members of both the parties that are protecting their friends from being CK'D, if they get killed during a CK attempt, they are just to be dead temporarily, "NLR" and can use their character later but won't remember what happened.

Plus, we all know no one really is going to ooc consent to a character death, so instead of "You attempt to kill me so I attempt to kill you!?" Its going to be "YOU TRIED TO TAKE MY LEG? I TRY TO TAKE YOUR LEG!" type of cycle. It's going to feel the same, just instead of KPS it will be Majors, so I feel like the CK request feels more of a option we can all agree on because you have to request to lore team or staff to CK someone's character and there would be less arguments since the CK requests are lore team / staff approved. So it still is being forced on someone to possibly CK their character because in real life you aren't going to consent to a death, death can come out of no where without consent.

I think CK request option is ten times better than "ooc consent to kps"

the only cons I see is that some gangrpers might not like the response if they believe a staff member or lore team member is being biased and not giving a CK request an accept even if it makes sense to be accepted because the gangrpers might believe the staff member or lore member being biased and not accepting the CK request.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
I'm a neutral positive on it, there's a couple things that I want to bring up

I've always been against character death, a lot of people know this. I think it's crumby especially when character deaths are hardly ever satisfying. However, from recent experience, it's very hard to get OOC consent for things even if they make sense to have happen. My biggest concern is..

If I cannot kill the person I'm after, so I stab them instead (normally killing them, but with new rules thats a no), then I'll just get arrested and get put in jail because there's really nothing stopping them from doing that. It's like there's a safety net of "Well my character wont die sooooo!" which isn't a problem outright, some mentioned that it'd even bring more people to Gangrp which I think is good. Then there's also the aftermath... If people can't kill characters, they'll turn to chopping them up instead.

The few people who have mentioned getting staff approved kills/lore-team approved, etc have a good idea since most people will say no. If we could adopt an FRP-esque kill system that'd be nice, but that also means re-implementing NLR which got confusing last time we had it.

The major BENEFIT I see in this is well.. Everyone will develop their characters! (in the ideal world)

ummm ill probably edit this reply later to fit in more of my thoughts as I sort them out, but those r my major ones.

jugheads

Level 6
jugheads
jugheads
Notable
I'm a little confused by your latter point. Did you read the thread (more specifically, the additions section)? It's easy to miss, but police officers are most affected by this as they are the ones who can kill without consent AND can be killed without consent (if they choose to act on their unconsenting kill permissions). If that's not what you're trying to say, feel free to correct me. Thank you for giving your input, though!! I'm appreciating everyone's replies a ton so far & it's nice to have a discussion about a massive change like this.
Yeah was just saying that the officers who join the force don't give auto KPS but they don't get the choice of whether their character can die or not; because it seems quite unfair for an officer to just never die. Same with gangs; like if you join you don't have the choice for your character to never die; unless like motive or something. It's hard to explain, I think the whole forum is kinda over the paper at least, and not a set of rules formed yet. I do think that either way it'll better the roleplay (well hopefully) than just a keybind that reads; stabs carotid.

hannriverr

Level 1
ENORMOUS +1. SchoolRP is a roleplay server! it's in the name! hear me out. roll combat is based off of luck, and i've had multiple experiences where players get upset at me honoring each action because i don't want to roll and i'd rather p2l. killing someone with just rolls and short actions isn't the GOAL - it's not fun. i'd love to see SRP get way, way more RP-based in the crime and combat scene - because honestly, a lot of people don't actually take thought and consideration into the point of their characters, what their characters can do, why they do it... it's just a lot of self-inserts who fight because the player who is controlling them wants to. simply put, i agree with this suggestion because people who put time and effort into their characters can totally and utterly lose the motivation to even join the server after losing one of their most developed, most played characters because of one or two people who decided that using kill permissions is the most fun thing to do at the moment.

opp

Level 50
-1/ ..+1?

alright so.. my reasoning well.
As much as I don’t like the GangRp community anymore .. I feel like this isint one of the major issues that come in between permissions at all. Some people might agree with the whole oocly permission thing but I just see this as a planned death.. which is not really suggested by most staff themselves. This takes away the realism and overall will increase problems/most likely to be abused. If someone comes up to you and threatens you with a weapon which would equal KPS the immediate the person getting threatened would ask in looc if they can use such kps .. if the person who is threatening says no in looc.. where do you go off from there? Do majors? Or ignore the whole situation even though I am pretty sure only staff can void situations now?. All this will just make the community toxic all over again.

This will be hard to set into the rules and discussed on all together. Like I said I don’t think killing and etc is the big problem in Gangrp especially it’s not EASY gaining them unless you were trying real hard to get them/the person was being way too bold, etc.
if you fear of your character getting killed you shouldn’t gang rp.. simple as that. Like in real life if you are threatening to kill someone or something you are mostly likely gonna know the person is gonna defend themselves.

Though I do agree on “people making throw off characters”. I feel like these type of people should just be reported to staff, yes it’s a lot but it’s better than ruining the whole experiences for everyone else. I also feel like Kps should last longer than a week just to keep people from easily handing them out. Gangrp should have it’s own separate rules that are super strict since majority of the Srp community is gangrp. Neverless than that, I feel staff should really consider looking into gangs that want to be verified due to there oocly toxicity and etc. to stop a lot of this madness, a lot of clean up work will have to be done before mostly anything can improve.

Also, technically speaking. It’s not forced character death if you know exactly what you are doing.
- Threatening with a weapon
- Calling the police
- Majoring someone
- Kidnapping someone
And more which TECHNICALLY your character is doing that could possibly get killed, like I said if your afraid of losing a character do not GangRp. It’s a risk, and apart of realism. Just put on amask, attire, and just hope your rolls or p2l goes okay.

a lot of this makes GangRp fun, I just think a lot of the wrong people make the whole fraction not so.. fun anymore.

Last edited:

hannriverr

Level 1
-1 i agree, this kinda removes the fun and the risk. whats the point of sm1 killing another if that dude is able to get up back as if nothing happend
it feels as if you didn't read the full suggestion. they do not "get back up as if nothing happened", they would most likely be required to go to the hospital for treatment and logically have character development as they heal. not only would this give hospital rp more options in terms of patients, but it would also give the gang roleplayer time to escape and time to plan what they want to do once that person does get out of the hospital. i assume the "fun" you're talking about is killing off other people's well-developed characters or not-so-developed, but characters they enjoy. i know that most players who participate in gangrp dont care about their character (not saying you dont) but most of them dont, so its more like.. throwaways that last a while. the risk is rolling, i assume, because whenever i say i'll honor it all, most people who are combat roleplaying and dislike p2l will walk away simply because they do not want to read an action that another player put time and effort into. (cough. yeeter.)

Hirathex

Level 252
Senior Admin
Black Market Lead
Police Lead
Hirathex
Hirathex
Omega+
+1 / -1

Wowzers. Lot to go over here so I'm gonna post all my personal thoughts here + some things brought up by other KPD officers in p-chat.

Pros:
As someone who is very anti-character death, I love this (to an extent). No one likes putting months of planning, experiences, and time into a character for them to be killed by a /me stabs carotid. It's gotten to the point before where I've literally stressed over what will happen to my character, and I hesitate every time I tase someone. I don't want tasing someone for simply evading to turn into the reason why my well-developed character now ceases to exist. With this, I think it'll also hopefully push gangs to find more creative ways of being active. You'll have less horrific deaths and more interesting crimes with even possible story lines starting to happen.

Cons:
With that being said, there's a lot to consider with why I don't think this is exactly the best solution. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer this but there's a few issues that come to mind.
1. As mentioned before, no one likes losing their character they spent months working on. It can be both a good and bad thing. I think I mostly agree with everything @Kana said, I believe there are times where murder is not only necessary for an organization, but also other times where it's entirely warranted even without OOC consent (which brings me to my next point)
2. "If a police officer DOES attempt to shoot you, you are not required to ask them for consent in order to kill them. It’s vice-versa." This. This is something that makes sense to me, if this suggestion is accepted I'd like to see more specific scenarios where you can say OOC consent is not needed.
3. What happens to majors? Now that KPS isn't a thing, it'll turn into a constant cycle of "you took my leg now I'm gonna take your leg back". By not needing OOC consent for this aspect, you still see the same old toxic gangrp, just baiting majors more often instead of baiting KPS.

Not gonna go too much more into depth, these are just the first things that come to mind. I think this will be an amazing thing to implement once some of the kinks and finer details are worked out.

Yonio

Level 328
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
+1
I'm not really going to state why I agree with this since around the first half of this forums post has already explained why

Instead of doing that, I'll dedicate this post to explaining why not having KPS isn't the end of the GangRP world, as some may depict it. You see, with Major, one only thinks of cutting off limbs, whereas there's much more to it. With Majors, you can knock people out (with spiked bats, making it even easier) and kidnap them to an enclosed location. There, you can roleplay out having them trapped, and making their character actually fear you rather than using a keybind to stab their carotid. While doing this, you can actually engage in an appealing conversation with them, questioning them, etc. This is even doable nowadays, but it's sadly eclipsed by the current KPS system that encourages people to have a quick reaction time rather than roleplaying out their actions

There is also the issue of people not agreeing to having their characters killed in any situation. While this is partly true, you must note that those who DO agree to do this will also obtain KPS on your character, meaning that if they wish to engage in such a situation, they will agree to you having KPS on their character

TL;DR If KPS are restricted to being OOCly consented, people will have more creative ways to use their permissions

Ecocide

Level 32
3Eco
3Eco
Omega+
forgive my awful writing skills i'm sure Sophia will see my response and make fun of something in it due to the writing

+1/-1

like the rest of the player base, I love the idea of this! I love that I won't have to lose my character for some kinda dumb reason. I'm more afraid that this system change will lead to a constant circle of people using major perms (ex "well you took my leg so I'm gonna take yours" x10) ill kill perms are removed then at that point where is the end that isn't just avoiding the person for a week. Also where would this put officers at? I feel like in a way it would make us overpowered (which might end up killing the gangrp community more) right now it's if you tase someone it's KPS but now we just don't have to consent to it and we're safe? ONTOP OF THAT Major Assault would just become the new form of kps and it would lead to people doing EVERYTHING to your character to make them unplayable (chop all their limbs off, make em go blind, cut their throat so they cant speak, burn their ears shut idk) which will just lead to them being. We have to be careful on what we choose to do with the current state of gangrp as the reality is if gangrp dies like 4 other factions die with it.

Edit: you could totally make it where if a gang gets verified people in that gang automatically consent to kps so that way gangs could still be wild with eachother

Last edited:

jayseph

Level 25
jayseph_
jayseph_
Notable
IGN: hebwig
DATE: 03/07/2022
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Make kill permissions only possible to be used if the person consents through OOC means to have their character permanently killed. This is the suggestion simplified down to one sentence; but, it goes a bit more in-depth. Bear with me, the crime faction lead, and take my input on how this would benefit & what other changes would come with it.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:

INTRO:
Roleplay communities, outside of Minecraft and within Minecraft, frown upon permanent/forced character death. Completely deleting a character from a setting’s existence is really ridiculous and one of the many reasons why GangRP has the reputation it has (which then leads to other issues within said portion of the server). Requiring that kill permissions become an OOC consent-based system will limit these deaths, promote players into writing fleshed-out characters, and discourage those who oftentimes use throwaways.

Please note that this suggestion has already been discussed with a few staff members, including the owner. This thread is being created so that players can give their input on the suggestion. We value feedback and would like other perspectives before going through with the suggestion above. If possible, read through every point mentioned before making a response as they are to be considered in any feedback.

Again, take the above into account. These are not the only changes that would take place in the next few weeks (if enough feedback is given and considered); but, these are the ones that are just related to this massive change. If you choose to respond or react to this feedback, please give reasoning behind it as this thread is being monitored by staff and will be reviewed by staff when the next period for reviewing feedback messages rolls around.

Thank you for any input! Both myself and the staff members of SchoolRP are grateful to you, for both reading this thread and for potentially leaving a response. Note that if you have any other points/benefits worth mentioning, this thread will be edited to include them. Take care.
+1 (with some concerns and other notes)

We talked a lot about this earlier so I know you already know some of the points that I'm going to make but after reading both all of this thread and the other reply that you wrote to Kana I have some other/different things to say.

What I agree with:
I agree that this would filter out a lot of the people who don't put a lot of mind into their characters or the lore that they decide to do within their actual RP. The amount of characters that I've seen like Undesires said starting with "Don" is honestly sad and makes a joke out of the GangRP community as a whole. That also goes in with randomly named characters with zero backstories, personality, and anything else within SRP. I think one of the things most people talk about a lot even ICly is that there are so many random 18-year-olds who just go around killing people without any sort of remorse, emotion, or actual genuine human reaction when it comes to someone killing someone. The entire thing about just majoring someone for knocking them out or killing them for swinging a bat at them without having any actual IC motive is talked about a LOT within different areas of GangRP. Whether you agree that you should have an actual IC motive or not, its a heated discussion, and in my own opinion, I think this would weed out a lot of the people who don't want to do anything that has to do with the lore of actual RP and only get on to major and/or kill people's characters.
Also as someone who is staff on a discord RP server and has been involved in other RP servers outside of SRP, I was surprised that this wasn't already a rule when I first joined and got into GangRP itself. As you mentioned, forcing someone to no longer be able to play a character, especially one that has been fully developed other say something like a simple arrest just because an officer is doing their job just doesn't make any logical sense. I know people always say things like "SRP logic !!!!!" in the most sarcastic way possible, but finally having this conversation about how illogical a lot of the way that GangRP is used and non-lore-based perm usage is something that I'm glad is a discussion.
I'm also very excited by the mention of expansion hostage situations and kidnap "perms" or whatever is going to happen with that. I think those sorts of things will be able to easily replace the consistent KPS usage and allow for actual lore-based GangRP.

Concerns:
Okay- It's not that I necessarily disagree with anything. But I do have a few things which are similar to what Kana said.
I think there are going to be times where a character's death/killing character is going to make a lot of IC sense or be almost vital to something but a person isn't going to OOCly consent. I know I probably wouldn't even if it all ICly made sense because I put a lot of effort into my characters and don't want them to die. That's the case with a lot of people which isn't a bad thing in the slightest, people putting effort into their character's lore is precisely what we want but I do believe that in certain situations there may need to be a third party of some sort involved. Not every single time, but there may be times that it involves disagreements just like we see already with perm disagreements. Though I expect if people are very lore-based with this addition, it should hopefully be less toxic and just a conversation about a possible compromise but I do think there may be just some general flaws in that.
I also think that this could cause a major issue in FearRP especially when it comes to people having weapons out of being surrounded or such. When you have the OOC knowledge that no one has Kill Permissions on your character, it's a lot easier to use that knowledge (even when its subconscious and you don't realize you may be doing so) and act a lot differently in certain scenarios then you may if you didn't have that knowledge. I don't think that would go much into police since you're not changing that, but I do believe when it comes to, say being surrounded by people with weapons and being told to leave or they'll kill you, a lot of people forget to FearRP that situation. Or again, like Kana mentioned, being in a huge gang and then just leaving without any sort of fear of death. When in reality, you'd be terrified to just up and leave something like that.

Just another note:
What about situations where someone's life is put in a dangerous, say a hostage situation? While we may know OOCly that they aren't going to die, it would make a LOT of IC sense to kill the person holding another hostage, especially if that hostage situation included some sense of torture. And while I know a lot of people who would take that as means to kill, and I would have at one point, there's also a lot more you can do lore-wise (i.e. slashing Achilles tendons and then escaping, making them unable to use parts of their bodies and KOing, etc.) that doesn't include killing.

hebwig

Level 111
-1 It wouldn't make sense or else there would be 0 killings in karakura at all, no one is going to give consent to their character being killed, only a small percentage of people will. Most people care about their characters a lot and will never dare to put their character on risk due to the heavy amount of character development and what it took to create their character and what their character has gone through. I think it would be better if we can go to a lore team member or a staff member and give them reasons on how and why we would kill someones character, call it a "CK" request. And if they accept it we could fully kill that persons character but if our character dies during the CK attempt/process, we lose our character permanently as well. There could also be the same scenarios that could escalate/ lead to kill perms, but instead it could be "new life rule" or your character is dead for a certain amount of time until you can use it again instead of KPS, since to have KPS you'd have to make a CK request to gain KPS approved by a staff member or lore team member.

Read the thread + the reply I gave to ImKana on the first page. It explains why it wouldn't be ideal to do the idea regarding LT / staff. NLR is a good idea since it's utilized heavily in other roleplay servers but it didn't work out in the past on SchoolRP. . .it wouldn't be a horrible thing to try again but I think SchoolRP is a lot different than the likes of Garry's Mod / GTA roleplay. It's more writing-based and tends to have completely different settings. I do appreciate this reply, though, just check out what I said to ImKana.

I'm a neutral positive on it, there's a couple things that I want to bring up

I've always been against character death, a lot of people know this. I think it's crumby especially when character deaths are hardly ever satisfying. However, from recent experience, it's very hard to get OOC consent for things even if they make sense to have happen. My biggest concern is..

If I cannot kill the person I'm after, so I stab them instead (normally killing them, but with new rules thats a no), then I'll just get arrested and get put in jail because there's really nothing stopping them from doing that. It's like there's a safety net of "Well my character wont die sooooo!" which isn't a problem outright, some mentioned that it'd even bring more people to Gangrp which I think is good. Then there's also the aftermath... If people can't kill characters, they'll turn to chopping them up instead.

The few people who have mentioned getting staff approved kills/lore-team approved, etc have a good idea since most people will say no. If we could adopt an FRP-esque kill system that'd be nice, but that also means re-implementing NLR which got confusing last time we had it.

The major BENEFIT I see in this is well.. Everyone will develop their characters! (in the ideal world)

ummm ill probably edit this reply later to fit in more of my thoughts as I sort them out, but those r my major ones.

Hi, Cloud. The safety net is fine because it'll limit arguments and it'll force you to think outside the box in how your character is actually going to attack someone if they want to avoid the police (as they are now the biggest risk regarding kills). Chopping them up is also not a horrible alternative. . .it'll take weeks of gaining permissions before you turn someone into a vegetable by chopping them up (as Minobu described it to me in VC), which still gives them enough time to roleplay as their character & to have more intricate interactions rather than an instant & forced death. I do like the idea of adopting FRP's deal with NLR & consulting lore team, but as I mentioned in my reply to ImKana, that likely would not work with SRP. It's a shame that their communities and staff alike are different, but I hope it makes sense why. Thank you, though!!! I really appreciate your input as you are an amazing roleplayer.

Yeah was just saying that the officers who join the force don't give auto KPS but they don't get the choice of whether their character can die or not; because it seems quite unfair for an officer to just never die. Same with gangs; like if you join you don't have the choice for your character to never die; unless like motive or something. It's hard to explain, I think the whole forum is kinda over the paper at least, and not a set of rules formed yet. I do think that either way it'll better the roleplay (well hopefully) than just a keybind that reads; stabs carotid.

If a police officer attempts to shoot your character with unconsented kill permissions, then you are free to kill them with unconsented kill permissions. I mention this in the thread. I hope that makes sense! Take care!

alright so.. my reasoning well.
As much as I don’t like the GangRp community anymore .. I feel like this isint one of the major issues that come in between permissions at all. Some people might agree with the whole oocly permission thing but I just see this as a planned death.. which is not really suggested by most staff themselves. This takes away the realism and overall will increase problems/most likely to be abused. If someone comes up to you and threatens you with a weapon which would equal KPS the immediate the person getting threatened would ask in looc if they can use such kps .. if the person who is threatening says no in looc.. where do you go off from there? Do majors? Or ignore the whole situation even though I am pretty sure only staff can void situations now?.

This will be hard to set into the rules and discussed on all together. Like I said I don’t think killing and etc is the big problem in Gangrp especially it’s not EASY gaining them unless you were trying real hard to get them/the person was being way too bold, etc.
if you fear of your character getting killed you shouldn’t gang rp.. simple as that. Like in real life if you are threatening to kill someone or something you are mostly likely gonna know the person is gonna defend themselves.

Though I do agree on “people making throw off characters”. I feel like these type of people should just be reported to staff, yes it’s a lot but it’s better than ruining the whole experiences for everyone else. I also feel like Kps should last longer than a week just to keep people from easily handing them out. Gangrp should have it’s own separate rules that are super strict since majority of the Srp community is gangrp. Neverless than that, I feel staff should really consider looking into gangs that want to be verified due to there oocly toxicity and etc. to stop a lot of this madness, a lot of clean up work will have to be done before mostly anything can improve.

besides that, I feel like A LOT of what was typed down can be a big positive change, just.. the kps part I don’t think will have a availability to change.

Staff members are perfectly fine with planned death and would actually encourage it because it encourages intricate roleplay and better writing. Take Ironside Koji's presumed death for example: I agreed on it with Prosthettics weeks before the event took place, and the roleplay we had was phenomenal and so much fun even though it was planned. . .BECAUSE we also did unplanned things during that event! We planned a conclusion, yes, but we also improvised on it. Players are allowed to do this as much as Prosthettics and I were; planning out things is not frowned upon by staff at all. Writing is still fun even with pre-determined conclusions (But, yes, it's also more fun without pre-determined conclusions. That's why you could get involved in criminal roleplay a lot differently than before, since killing will no longer be the focus)!

We don't want kill permissions to be easy to gain. My first point was that forced / permanent character death is frowned upon in several roleplay communities and shouldn't happen NEARLY as often as it does on SchoolRP. It doesn't make sense. Please refer to the thread for more elaboration on that point. I don't see the point in making kill permissions last longer than a week once consented upon; I mean. . .considering you are consenting them, you can work with the other person to decide the length at this point. That's ALSO a benefit in this suggestion being implemented! If you only want to consent three days (and both parties agree), then it can be three days. If you want to consent thirty days, then it can be thirty days. Why not?

GangRP should not become more overcomplicated than it already is. This helps lessen the arguments that would sprout from the confusion and complication within killing permissions. Tying major assault permissions in with kidnapping permissions (as I briefly mention in my original post) is also beneficial in limiting complication. Staff are looking into gangs and their behavior actively and I, personally as the crime faction lead, am not going to permit a gang to be verified if their behavior out-of-character is unruly. They are what demotivates others in GangRP and it's not sensical to give them benefits for that kind of thing. The clean-up work you reference in your post is exactly what we're doing now with this suggestion. I hope you understand what I mean and how this is one of the best steps we can take into cleaning up and bettering GangRP. Feel free to PM me over conversations if you want to discuss it further. Thanks a bunch for your input!! I hope my response is suitable.

+1 / -1

2. "If a police officer DOES attempt to shoot you, you are not required to ask them for consent in order to kill them. It’s vice-versa." This. This is something that makes sense to me, if this suggestion is accepted I'd like to see more specific scenarios where you can say OOC consent is not needed.
3. What happens to majors? Now that KPS isn't a thing, it'll turn into a constant cycle of "you took my leg now I'm gonna take your leg back". By not needing OOC consent for this aspect, you still see the same old toxic gangrp, just baiting majors more often instead of baiting KPS.

Not gonna go too much more into depth, these are just the first things that come to mind. I think this will be an amazing thing to implement once some of the kinks and finer details are worked out.

I like the idea of adding more specific scenarios. The one other scenario that comes to mind that could result in unconsented killing permissions is if a person leaves a verified gang with valuable information in their possession. . .it only makes sense to eliminate their character at that point, yes? This is a great suggestion that builds on my own and I appreciate it a ton! Also, for your third point, I want to reference a conversation that I had with Yonio in VC about that exact circumstance. . .

. . .with this addition, you can only remove ONE limb or ONE minor appendage per instance of major assault permissions that you have. Say that Player 1 has major assault permissions for seven days on Player 2 and chooses to remove their arm, which then results in Player 2 having major assault permissions for seven days now on Player 1 (because they acted on major assault permissions). I hope you're still following. So, Player 2 will also remove Player 1's arm. That's it. Player 1 cannot retaliate as they already removed one limb within those seven days, and the only way that they could remove another is if they get major assault permissions again in another circumstance. Player 2 can't do anything more, either.

Baiting is an issue we're going to have, even if we remove kill permissions or major assault permissions or mugging permissions or kidnapping permissions. It's baiting. People will want permission to do things to people. We reap more benefits with making kill permissions an OOC consent-based system, though, than we would with flaws (and a flaw would be that we can't really tackle baiting). Granted, I do feel like a toll would be taken on baiting considering kills would take place less. That's a lot of where the issues with baiting come from nowadays. I hope this makes sense & I really like your additions to everything!! Thank you!!!

forgive my awful writing skills i'm sure Sophia will see my response and make fun of something in it due to the writing

+1/-1

like the rest of the player base, I love the idea of this! I love that I won't have to lose my character for some kinda dumb reason. I'm more afraid that this system change will lead to a constant circle of people using major perms (ex "well you took my leg so I'm gonna take yours" x10) ill kill perms are removed then at that point where is the end that isn't just avoiding the person for a week. Also where would this put officers at? I feel like in a way it would make us overpowered (which might end up killing the gangrp community more) right now it's if you tase someone it's KPS but now we just don't have to consent to it and we're safe? ONTOP OF THAT Major Assault would just become the new form of kps and it would lead to people doing EVERYTHING to your character to make them unplayable (chop all their limbs off, make em go blind, cut their throat so they cant speak, burn their ears shut idk) which will just lead to them being. We have to be careful on what we choose to do with the current state of gangrp as the reality is if gangrp dies like 4 other factions die with it.

Refer to my example above. This is a super valid concern, so thank you for bringing it up. It's not a bad thing if people do that with the whole major assault repetition "until the character turns into a vegetable" (again, referencing Minobu's words). People get more time with their characters and are inevitably forced into more intricate roleplay when it comes to having limbs and appendages removed; whereas with instant, forced, and permanent character death, this would not exist. Take care!!!

hebwig

Level 111
it feels as if you didn't understand what i meant, obviously they do not get up instantly... :rofl:

But they won't act as if nothing happened, especially if major assault permissions were acted on them. You're losing a whole limb or a minor appendage like an eye or an ear. That's pretty crazy. I'd be freaked out and wouldn't treat it "as if nothing happened" if that occurred to me in real life (or to my original character. . .because that's just what makes sense). Obviously, these reactions are dependent on players roleplaying realistically, but it's really not the end of the world if a character isn't too concerned with losing an eye or an arm. You still had a unique roleplay interaction; and, in turn, a beneficial one. Take care!! I really value your replies, Ruin, and I think some concerns may make a bit more sense if you read my replies to others as well. You're the man.

Ruin

Level 104
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
But they won't act as if nothing happened, especially if major assault permissions were acted on them. You're losing a whole limb or a minor appendage like an eye or an ear. That's pretty crazy. I'd be freaked out and wouldn't treat it "as if nothing happened" if that occurred to me in real life (or to my original character. . .because that's just what makes sense). Obviously, these reactions are dependent on players roleplaying realistically, but it's really not the end of the world if a character isn't too concerned with losing an eye or an arm. You still had a unique roleplay interaction; and, in turn, a beneficial one. Take care!! I really value your replies, Ruin, and I think some concerns may make a bit more sense if you read my replies to others as well. You're the man.
I've read your replies to other people and understand what you want but I dont know hows it going to be in action

in theory, its gonna be alr and more roleplay focused SRP but what if it goes wrong in the action, thats the main part I'm concerned. Plus, this is a pretty big change on GangRP side of the server, it'll take a very long time for most people to get used to it, some people still arent used to some stupid stuff (my opinion) recently added

Users who are viewing this thread