players online

[GUIDE] Color Theory and Hue Shifting

kustomzero

Level 130
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
Color Theory and Hue Shifting Guide- by kustomzero

So you’re just getting into tailoring and you have no clue where to start? That’s alright! For starters, one of the things you need to know is hue shifting and color theory. Don’t know what those are? No worries! This guide will cover the basics of what you need to know!

What is Hue Shifting?

Hue Shifting is the practice of changing not just the saturation and/or the lightness of your colors when shading and highlighting, but the hue as well.

When beginning make sure to have your main colors. I’d recommend having 3 main colors to start with.
An Example of this would be:
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.47.14 PM.png
To Do’s and Don’ts

When you start shading your project most beginners may stay in the same hue as they make their palette.
This palette looks fine, right? Yeah, it’s nice and all but it has no hue to it. It’s just different shades of green. This is a common mistake for beginners.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.43.10 PM.png
To make your palette interesting you need to change the hue. Here is a correct example of hue-shifting.
As the palette begins to gradually get lighter the hue begins to change into a blue tone.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.43.22 PM.png
Another way to get better at hue-shifting is to know color theory.

What is Color Theory?

Color theory is the body of practical guidance for color mixing and the visual effects of a specific color combination.
For example, our primary colors, if we take our primary blue and our primary red color and mix them we get purple creating a cool color. Most people use this to make their palette or colors in general.

Let’s Go Back To Hue-Shifting

Okay now that we did a semi-review of what Color theory is let’s get back to hue-shifting. If we take a look at the color wheel.
The right side is our warm colors while the left side is our cool colors.

So if we take a look back at our hue-shifted green palette.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 2.43.34 PM.png
We can see the color when green is located in the cool color section but close to the middle of the wheel.
The 4th color of our palette is the mid-tone
Mid-tone is a medium tone that isn’t too dark or too light.
Now in the palette, if we compare the 3rd and 4th colors we can see the contrast that the 3rd color is slightly darker and so on down.
If we look at our 4th and 5th colors we can see on the 5th color a blue hue is coming in place.
If we look at the color wheel we can see that the green is right next to the blue. Which can explain where we got the hue from.

I do suggest when starting a palette use a mid-tone and use a primary color.

Conclusion
Ta-da! That should cover the basics and hopefully help you understand better when it comes to hue shifting and color theory. Now go out there and start experimenting find your style! And in no time you will begin to pick up on tailoring! If you have any questions feel free to dm me via discord: kustomzero. :)

Other Resources
If you want a deeper and better understanding of hue shifting and color theory then click here.

I thank my art notes from art class for this.

SirDerpHead

Level 34
SirDerpHead
SirDerpHead
Omega
Oh my! That's impressive that you are colourblind but you can tailor that is pure talent right there!
Thankyouuuu, its more common than you think aswell lmao. Some other tailors i remember mentioned being colourblind are Cawot69 and bheom, which is nuts cause they are crazy good.

-kam

Level 79
Thankyouuuu, its more common than you think aswell lmao. Some other tailors i remember mentioned being colourblind are Cawot69 and bheom, which is nuts cause they are crazy good.
o/ i do too! tbf i cheat w palletes n opacity brush but yhh

Valentine_Lols

Level 87
Valentine_Lols
Valentine_Lols
Rich+
Is it bad that I don't do color theory?

I mainly just pick colors that seem good and double check with a friend who's better at telling certain colors I am unable to tell

Users who are viewing this thread