mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

HD Skins in SRP!

menmapsy_

Level 3
What's your Minecraft Username?: menmapsy_
What's the title of your suggestion?: HD Skins in SRP!

What's your suggestion?:
HD/High-definition skins should be implemented into SRP!

HD skins are Minecraft skins that allow skin makers to create 128 x 128 pixel or 256 x 256 pixel skins instead of the regular 64 x 64 pixel skins. Some websites that offer HD skin making are Planet Minecraft 3D and Skinseed.

Attached is a link that will take you to an image of an example of an HD skin made by me, menmapsy_

How will this benefit the server and community?:
As a tailor that interacts with the tailoring community and a lot of the player base through orders and sharing my work, a very commonly brought up topic when discussing skin-making is HD skins. HD skins are skins with much smaller pixels and allow skin makers to include a lot more detail on the skin itself. It leaves a lot of room for patterns and fine details on clothing, bases, and gives each and every character much more room for individuality. Here are some reasons, concerns, and notes about this suggestion:

1. Unique Characters: I'm sure we've all walked past a few players and gone, "Wow they look exactly the same as [so and so]'s character." Although it may not be intentional, with the limited space and options for detail in character bases, there can be a lot of repetition in skins and appearances. This problem does not just occur in just character bases, but in outfits as well. With reference images oftentimes being reused in different places or servers as part of customer orders, some people may find that it's extremely difficult to create an outfit similar to the reference image that is not a carbon copy of the original outfit commissioned by another customer.

2. Creativity, and Plagiarism/Skin Stealing: Skin stealing or copying is obviously going to be an issue on a Minecraft server, but with HD skins and a whole new set of possibilities on how to shade or create a certain pattern or type of clothing, it's extremely hard for skin stealers to use the good ol, "I only used their skins as a reference, I didn't copy it pixel for pixel," excuse. At the same time, the room to do more with the space you have will allow people to put their own spin on the 'SRP' shading style and come up with a new pattern that may not have been possible before. This allows more new generation tailors to come forth and create a style of their own and offer something even more to the tailoring and SRP community in general.

3. Compatibility and Aesthetics: Although custom items and cars are not distributed across the SRP community as broadly as we'd like to think, if you observe the customs themselves it's clear that the pixels on the custom items and cars are much smaller than the regular 64 x 64-pixel skins that we have by default. This means that items such as custom cars, ballistic masks, bats, jewelry, accessories, handbag, all of these items are hard to pair up with outfits or skins. As a tailor myself that receives orders that include matching outfits for a custom, I oftentimes find myself wishing that more detail could be added, in order to truly match the detail or pattern put onto the custom items.

4. Possibility: Though I am not 100% of the possibility and reasonability of this idea, I do know that it is possible. Bedrock Minecraft Edition has access to High-Definition skins; Mojang withheld this update from Java to avoid the creation of explicit skins. However, I do not feel like the explicit skins are an issue, as the staff team here on SRP are extremely quick to find and remove explicit skins and inappropriate content from the server, as well as the community's efficiency in making reports to tickets and to staff members directly. Meanwhile, there is currently a mod that allows HD skins to be used in game called MPM: More Player Models. It's popular among photographers in the tailoring community, however it only allows players using MPM to see HD skins on other players. Implementing the mod into the game as an optional/toggleable feature may or may not be possible, but it would allow players to have access to HD skins while also allowing players with older PCs and lower game quality to be able to turn HD skins off in order to reduce the lag.

That is a gist of the reasons, concerns, and notes I have for this suggestion! If you have anymore ideas, comments, or concerns, please message me on discord at ---> jeographer !

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
It is not possible to implement HD skins without the use of client-sided mods. You are already able to do this on the server, and if you are using MPM, then you should already be able to see other MPM users' custom avatars. I doubt the server will make an official statement encouraging its players to use third party client mods, your best bet if you want to see other players using them is to find a way to encourage them yourself.

menmapsy_

Level 3
It is not possible to implement HD skins without the use of client-sided mods. You are already able to do this on the server, and if you are using MPM, then you should already be able to see other MPM users' custom avatars. I doubt the server will make an official statement encouraging its players to use third party client mods, your best bet if you want to see other players using them is to find a way to encourage them yourself.

I see your point with this! However, MPM is very much compatible with Feather Client, which is partnered with SRP directly. Again, unsure of the overall effectiveness or even possibility of it, but I feel like implementing it onto SRP is at least partially possible to Client players. If the server gives players themselves more of a reason to use it, then people would eventually choose to use it without encouragement, you know?

lamby :3

Level 29
Community Team
Event Team
octoplush
octoplush
Omega
I see your point with this! However, MPM is very much compatible with Feather Client, which is partnered with SRP directly. Again, unsure of the overall effectiveness or even possibility of it, but I feel like implementing it onto SRP is at least partially possible to Client players. If the server gives players themselves more of a reason to use it, then people would eventually choose to use it without encouragement, you know?

If we look from a server POV, SRP is already a heavily modded server from plugins to custom items. The server crashes and lags frequently. I'm not sure SRP would be able to take on the load of HD skins, Also I've spoken to people about HD skins before and they said.

"If someone asks me for a HD skin I will cry."

I have seen HD skins before on SRP using MPM and other things but to be honest (I dont even use cliented mincraft) and if we were to say "Oh yeah, Feather does it." there's people who use MANY types of clients.
(also the freaking kimono you did is beautiful love you men!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:3 meow!

andrei

Level 46
StardusCrusader
StardusCrusader
Rich+
This has been suggested before, but the developer said this and I quote

Hello!

We cannot provide HD skins for players on the server within the vanilla minecraft scope, however, you are still permitted to use mods like MorePlayerModels, which you and other users can see.

I suggest you lookup the Noppes discord server for access to the newest versions of such mod (1.20.2).

https://schoolrp.net/threads/hd-skin-suggestion.66203/

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
Thank you for your suggestion! After discussing this with the team we have decided to decline it.

- Not possible.​

Users who are viewing this thread