KARAKURA NEWS | Karakura Police Department Protest

timothy

Level 28
kufn
kufn
Omega+
KARAKURA POLICE DEPARTMENT PROTEST FOR AMAYA OMORI O'SULLIVAN
DECEMBER 29TH, 2023

As many citizens may know, former Karakura Police Officer Sergeant Amaya Omori O'Sullivan was murdered a couple of weeks ago. It's a rather gruesome topic of discussion, even for someone like me, Ittou Tojo. Many citizens have not been happy with the course of action that the Police Department has taken after her death. Well, the lack of publicity given by the Police Department about her death. Citizens grouped around the Department earlier this week and shared their feelings, thoughts, and concerns with the officers. While some of their comments were incomprehensible, some good came out of today’s protest. A podium stood behind the barricades put into place by the police department. It’s where the Police Captain answered questions that citizens had.

An unidentified citizen asked the question, "Are you proud that you caused an officer to go corrupt?" Saiky answered, "I am proud of the changes KPD has made in a crime-filled town, while they aren't big, no massive change can come overnight. We have to work towards it slowly and as a community." I truly believe that the Police Department is trying its best to move past this incident, but that doesn't mean that the protester's voice shouldn't go unheard. Some of their concerns were focused on emergency workers' mental health. And the Police department's answers were somewhat hopeful.

Another unidentified citizen asked the question, "Is it true that the KPD doesn't care about the mental health of their Officers?" Daiki Saiky almost instantly
responded to the question. "No, it isn't true. KPD has put through multiple changes recently to ensure the safety of our officer's mental health. While in the past it wasn't something we put our focus into, now it is one of our main concerns. Amaya ended up that way because of us. We ignored her mental health, which caused all that has happened. We've met with the mayor regarding all of this to put more strict regulations on officers."

That sparks up a great question I asked myself, "Why is it only now a main concern?" Formerly I thought that mental health evaluations were mandatory monthly... Why would they "ignore" something as important as this if they knew that the outcome would eventually turn out bad? Someone has to be at fault for this. I am not one to try to persuade you in any way, shape, or form, but I need you all to ask yourself this question. "Am I comfortable living in a town that would allow something like this to happen?"

I was able to speak to an organizer of the Protest. A citizen who goes by the name of Ridley Akiyama. I learned some things that I think will be educational to all of us about the protest and the "corruption" in Karakura. The interview went as follows.

Ittou Tojo: "Good morning. I'll start with a simple question. What was your role in the protest? Were you an organizer?"

Ridley Akiyama: "Yes, that's right - I was one of the organizers. I was part of a Student Union, see - I'm not a student anymore due to things outside of my control, I'm afraid - I had a few friends to help me along the way, though."

Ittou Tojo: "Friends? Would you like to elaborate?"

Ridley Akiyama: "A friend in the student union was assaulted by the police on false charges. His legs were broken. He still can't walk as far as I know, and coupled with the exposé on Amaya Omori O'Sullivan, I just felt the need to do something."

Ittou Tojo: "Your friend, what happened to him after his incident with the Police Department?"

Ridley Akiyama: "Well, he had to get an operation and still walks in crutches. He wasn't even able to make it to the protest yesterday - it's probably for the best, anyway."

Ittou Tojo: "Poor thing. What are your concerns with KPD, and the city as a whole?"

Ridley Akiyama: "My greatest fear- and I can confirm that this is the case with many people engaged in things like municipal politics and law, is the fact that it feels like the government is losing grip on what is really important and are chasing things for their own benefit. Be it money, a feeling of power, or something else."

I was then asked a question by Akiyama. "Are you familiar with the Social Contract Theory, Mr. Tojo?" I will admit that I was not aware of what is was before this interview, but it really does put somethings into perspective.

Ridley Akiyama: "John Locke's Social Contract argues that the government is given power by the people in exchange for the government providing basic rights and promoting the common good." "That is where the power of the government comes from, the people gave the power to the government." - "But that's not happening - not here, in Karakura." - "Sure, we vote on Deputy Mayors, but the rest is decided for us. Without fear of consequences for their actions, there is no need to improve, there is no need to change. The status quo remains."

Unfortunately, Akiyama would be correct with in statements. The people are no longer giving power to the government, rather the government is appointing themselves with the power. Why are we only given the right to vote for Deputy Mayor? It's such an insignificant role compared to the Mayor, Police Commissioner, and Hospital Director.

Ittou Tojo: "I have a more specific question to ask you now. Do you believe that someone is at fault for the death of Officer Omori?"

Ridley Akiyama: "The death of Officer Omori... There are two ways you could look at this. The first is that somebody at the department - say the commissioner - didn't like her tainting their image. Which is a sick image to even imagine. To kill someone over reputation..." - "The second is that a gang killed Officer Omori. She namedrops that color-animal gang at one point... The Black Dragons, right? They could have it out for her." - "But, it really isn't my place to say anything. I work with the same information as you do, Mr. Tojo, just the video, nothing more, nothing less. I just want to see Amaya Omori O'Sullivan's death to not be in vain, whatever the result of the investigation ends up being."

Ittou Tojo: "My final question to wrap up this interview. What is your next course of action?"

Ridley Akiyama: "Hope for the best, really. Citizens must understand that politics isn't just something that happens once or twice a year, it's our job to keep an eye on the faction and criticize it when they are doing things wrong, like not providing mental support for officers or not performing enough checks on their serving officers."

Have something you'd like to report or be reported on? Call the Reporter Hotline at (020) 980-4487, Drop a message at the news station in our anonymous reporting box, or message us on Onrain @KaNews

Users who are viewing this thread