Poseter

Level 12
Poseter
Poseter
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: Poseter
What's the title of your suggestion?: Make Councillors more respectful

What's your suggestion?:
Councillors are worse than cheerleaders at this point. They do not respect the teachers in any way shape or form and it's irritating. I've had more bad interactions with councillors than with cheerleaders, and that's saying something.

In my opinion, the ranking of mean students are the councillors, cheerleaders, and then the footballers. But having councillors at the top is WILD. I'll list every sour interaction I've had with them that I can think of as of right now.

1. A councillor did not respect the teacher(me) when they were teaching. They interrupted their teaching to ask if unicorns were real and then got mad when I told them to not interrupt my class for questions like that. We were in the middle of a game involving the subject which had to go fast due to the time frame.

2. Whenever I enter the councillor room, they scream at me to get out. I understand it's not an employee's room, but they should not be disrespectful like they are when we enter.

3. Whenever I interact with them they either ignore me or they are incredibly rude overall.

4. Whenever the teacher allows a student to do something, the councillor gets mad at them and yells at them for it even though the teacher gave them permission.

5. Whenever there were plenty of employees dealing with an issue, they felt the need to involve themself even though we've already got it handled.

6. They push problems on to us by radioing "fight at ___" when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves

There's just a lot of councillors that do not deserve to be on the council especially with the way they handle situations and talk to faculty.

Either change the rules of councilling to not only respect the students, but the faculty as well, or remove those who do not do so.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
The falculty would have less stress to deal with, especially when trying to find someone to take over for them when they've got to teach and no one else but the council is available.

It's incredibly hard to get along with most of the council members, doing this will allow council and faculty to follow the same rules and have the same respect for each other.

Hamburger

Level 187
LocalHamburger
LocalHamburger
Fundraiser+
+1
I've noticed some unusual behavior in Councillors, maybe the heads aren't strict enough. Unsure if it's entirely necessary to post as a suggestion, though...

CYB3RSL1T

Level 3
-1/+1

1. If they do that you have the right to kick them out of the classroom, do not whine because you have been disrespected. . use your icly authority and tell them to sit and be quiet as a warning. If they continue issue a detention then, they are not immune to detentions just because they are a councillor. They are also a student and doing the wrong thing can lead to a detention . .

2. I believe entering the council room is allowed by faculty because they have permission to, some council members might not like you just entering unannounced. (LIKE KNOCKING BEFORE ENTERING!!) Some like to know you are coming in.

3. I guess they are sometimes disrespectful. It might be a situation they have just dealt with and they aren't in the mood and are ignoring you to not burst out icly. Yes this is NOT an excuse but it is a possibility

4. Again not all council members will yell at you, I am not sure why they feel the need to yell at someone in a higher position than they are, unless the teacher is allowing the student to do something not okay.

5. I see your problem with councillors making their way to a controlled situation, but keep in mind some might be watching to see how you deal with those situations and might put that into their own problems along the way! Watching a controlled situation from uncontrolled to controlled is a way to teach the new council members how to quickly control a situation.

6. I feel your frustration as I WAS a councillor, keep in mind not all council members are the same but some are not trained to know everything and sometimes they like to break rules (which ISN'T an excuse for disrespecting faculty) which is not ok! I too have been in situations where I didn't know what to do so I radioed for help as I was undertrained and didn't know how to deal with the situation. We are not pushing problems onto you we are asking for help, I'm sorry you feel pushed and it's going to be like that when you are a faculty member.

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
you should report this to the council lead, not the forums, this is more of a rant than a suggestion and even as a suggestion can be handled better by directly discussing it with jayla

Poseter

Level 12
Poseter
Poseter
Omega+
you should report this to the council lead, not the forums, this is more of a rant than a suggestion and even as a suggestion can be handled better by directly discussing it with jayla
i meant change the rules das all

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
i meant change the rules das all
there are no specific rules to the council, its all roleplay in the end and if there are specific rules within the faction you want changed, as i said, discuss it with jayla, specific rules arent going to be added to the rules and terminology for every role, if any, it would be pointless, crowding and limiting to the situations you can be in ICly

Poseter

Level 12
Poseter
Poseter
Omega+
there are no specific rules to the council, its all roleplay in the end and if there are specific rules within the faction you want changed, as i said, discuss it with jayla, specific rules arent going to be added to the rules and terminology for every role, if any, it would be pointless, crowding and limiting to the situations you can be in ICly
yeah but its unlikely dming someone as 1 person will do much. getting responses from people might actually do better since I'm not the only one experiencing it. dming sounds like I am and is hard to get people on my side through a 1 to 1 dm

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
yeah but its unlikely dming someone as 1 person will do much. getting responses from people might actually do better since I'm not the only one experiencing it. dming sounds like I am and is hard to get people on my side through a 1 to 1 dm
You've given up before you've tried to resolve it privately, i can not reply any further as this counts as thread spam but i feel as though resorting to outward exposure before attempted discussion between the faction was an option that could have been avoided and resolved privately, especially for a suggestion that feels more on the rant side rather than the suggestion side.

Either way, i'm up for jayla speaking with certain councillors about their behaviour and clarifying whats expected, although i do also think these situations should be kept as ICly as possible due to it being an in character role and situation and should be handled as such, adding more rules to the council, especially to the 7 page guidelines i wrote out for them when i was their faction lead, only limits scenarios and makes the role feel more stale and less free.

It would be more engaging to roleplay out their report and punishments ICly to SLT.

andrei

Level 46
StardusCrusader
StardusCrusader
Rich+
Councillors for me ICly are they respect my professor character, so I don't really see any problems on this.

Joe.exe

Level 46
Joe_Kurumi
Joe_Kurumi
Rich+
As a former senior councilor, I don't want anything like this to happen, and I understand what you are going through.
But you should not give feedback here. A better approach is to report it to the President. As for the formulation of rules, it should be decided internally by the Council.
This is ultimately a matter of IC roleplay and has little to do with OOC rules.

jaaaayla

Level 199
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+
As the others said, this post seems more like a rant than a suggestion, and a lot of these issues you have can be ICly reported. Although, I do understand I log on a weird hours so it might be hard to ICly report to me but if you DM beforehand about it, I can probably log on if I'm home. If there is an OOC aspect such as a violation of FearRP rules or just overall FailRP about your complaints and issues, you can just DM me about that too.

Renidite

Level 10

I know both of the HS and College 'heads' aka the presidents and I can say they and the faction head themself are 'strict' enough with the councillors. There doesn't need to be restrictions on how they act if something needs to get reported do so icly.

lamby :3

Level 29
Community Team
Event Team
octoplush
octoplush
Omega
-1 I'll be honest. We're all trying to roleplay on a roleplay server, Yes there characters can be more mature however we're all here for fun. I cant go up to a character and scream "STOP, GO KICK BALLS YOU'RE A FOOTBALLER, HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO A NON-FOOTBALELR."

Wrath ⛥

Level 99
conqnest
conqnest
Notable
eeermmm hiiiii ^_^ councillor here !! i do understand ur concerns and feel as if u are being mistreated but i really am not sure what exactly a feedback post talking about icly behavior would entail of in terms of actually fixing anything … i don’t really think a feedback post was a good way to go about this, as icly behavior should be dealt with… icly.. especially something like insolence from councillors in the ways you’ve described, you can’t necessarily enforce a personality or even manners onto anyone, even if they are in the position they are in and it does look unfair or even is aggravating to come across, but i can tell you for certain,, i’m sure the majority of councillors are not acting like this . we do train them. they know the rules, but icly they are students too when it comes down to it and they will more than likely act as such despite a role. sorry you’ve found it irritating enough to make a feedback post, but i do see this as something that can be roleplayed out in certain ways and fixed !! which is always the optimal way to go about things, when it comes down to it, as if you want actual change- that is the ideal way to go about it. simply telling people to act better with some sort of authority will never work, and even restricts people in terms of roleplaying how they’d want to. i’m sure if this was dealt with icly councillors would indefinitely love to have opportunities for rp or even develop the requested manners icly.. ^_^ when it comes to actual ooc rule breaking though, that should simply be reported ..? basically i think enforcing manners and to be polite on what are still students oocly despite their roles doesn’t make that much sense .
sorry i typed this out on phone if it looks or sounds weird

Last edited:

bmblxbee

Level 8
Zoey159
Zoey159
Omega
President here! Big agree with Customable - take this to our faction lead.

Though most of this does look to be IC-related .. It could be that you simply caught them on a bad day ICly, or that the councillor is freshly accepted and hasn’t gone through training yet.

When it comes to our room, well.. I’ve never seen a councillor act that way towards faculty!

As councillors, we have the authority to deal with situations. But we can ask for faculty assistance if needed - sometimes we’re the only Councillor on/free!

Hoping this cleared some stuff up!! At the end of the day, we’re still students ICly, and we’re just trying to have fun on the server!

KayLoon

Level 23
KayLoon
KayLoon
Notable
-1, I require a MASSIVE amount of context with these situations that happened to you, and also the fact that you could've easily dealt with the situation by talking with said council member IC

2. Whenever I enter the councillor room, they scream at me to get out. I understand it's not an employee's room, but they should not be disrespectful like they are when we enter.
I don't know ALL of the council members IC like that, but from the ones I do know, I doubt that they yell at you to get out, because there have been lots of times when faculty members go inside the council room and the council members just shrug it off and continue with what they're doing, so please add context to what happened here

3. Whenever I interact with them they either ignore me or they are incredibly rude overall.
Okay, so 1. Are said councillors interacting/resolving an issue? 2. Can you explain to us what you mean by incredibly rude, do they say anything that sounds rude? 3. Does your character have past interactions with said council member to result in such an attitude? Because my character personally if they have an issue with a faculty member they will avoid them like the plague

4. Whenever the teacher allows a student to do something, the councillor gets mad at them and yells at them for it even though the teacher gave them permission.
This one requires a LOT of context because there have been situations where the councillor is not around/ isn't informed of the fact that a teacher permitted them. Please don't say something like (The student told the council member that the teacher permitted them) students lie, they lie a lot, and there have also been situations where faculty allowed said student to break a rule. Hence, it's normal for a council member to scold said student no?

5. Whenever there were plenty of employees dealing with an issue, they felt the need to involve themself even though we've already got it handled.
I can't talk a lot about this situation, mostly when I see employees handling an issue, my character just stands and just waits for something to happen, since even if it seems like the situation is being handled something can happen, I'll use an example that happened a few days ago

There was a fight, an SLT member was there, and also a few faculty were there, one of the people that was fighting got carried and ran away, but no faculty/SLT member noticed it, and that's where my council character came in and involved themselves with the situation to hand the person who fought/ran away detention

6. They push problems on to us by radioing "fight at ___" when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves
So, funny thing, the only people capable of radioing faculty are the council presidents, and they have an issue with their radio that goes both ways, so most of the time all of the radios that go to faculty are meant for council, I believe this issue has been reported a bunch of times, so yes we are capable of doing it our selves, you should understand the issue with the radio's since the council presidents often say it to faculty, so no they're not pushing problems to you

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
As somebody who's been part of both faculty and council factions for a very long time, I believe you are addressing an issue that definitely does exist, you just haven't captured the full scope of it.

I've experienced similar situations from both perspectives. Both faculty and council has a history of overstepping their boundaries and disrupting roleplay, and neither faction is innocent. This is a generalization of course, not everyone in either faction is like this, but something about the authority your long nametag gives you brings out the worst in people. Even as a teacher, other teachers will disrupt my classes, oftentimes bringing my activity to a dead halt because they have a bone to pick with my character (not realizing that roleplay is bigger than them, and now 20+ people are just sitting there bored because they want their big moment with Asuka Deguchi (guys stop being selfish neither of us are that important (seriously))).

The issue is that people are wanting to get involved with their role, but don't understand that there's a time and place. So many of us assume that they are more skilled or better equipped to handle situations, but don't realize that regardless of which faction they are in, they are identical when it comes to disciplinary scenarios, and have similarly received identical training. Yes, sometimes people do get it wrong, and in that case, you should go to them after the situation is over, rather than try to interject partway through and complicate things.

Also, the school faculty and council takes their roles WAYYY too seriously. There's nothing wrong with having a serious character that does things by the book, but when you're so over the top with it that you're making it your life's mission to set 100% of everything in the school straight, it bleeds the enjoyment out of everyone's experience. Also it makes you the living embodiment of this guy and I usually start laughing hysterically at you.

TLDR both faculty and council equally suck, you guys need to calm down and trust that other people know what they're doing

Anyway to address some specific points,
Whenever I enter the councillor room, they scream at me to get out.
I believe entering the council room is allowed by faculty because they have permission to, some council members might not like you just entering unannounced. (LIKE KNOCKING BEFORE ENTERING!!) Some like to know you are coming in.
Faculty is not allowed inside of the council room without reason or invitation. The council room is meant for the council's exclusive use, if you need a private place to go as a teacher, there are classrooms just down the hall. If you have a valid reason for going into the council room, you should still probably knock.

They push problems on to us by radioing "fight at ___" when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves
The council presidents have both faculty and council radio, but there is a glitch that sends their message to both channels at the same time. The council prefers to operate as a pack, because that provides for more roleplay opportunity within the group. It's not the council's fault that you have to see this, but I agree that from a faculty's perspective it's a bit annoying.

There's just a lot of councillors that do not deserve to be on the council especially with the way they handle situations and talk to faculty.
You do not dictate who can and cannot be on any given faction, as you are not a faction lead. The student council isn't some divine group filled with elite players, one which only the best of the best can join, it's something that any player with some experience and a decent track record can apply for.

Either change the rules of councilling to not only respect the students, but the faculty as well, or remove those who do not do so.
The Student Council Handbook is very in-depth (albeit a bit outdated), more so than the school faculty guidelines. It was based on an old teacher document, but I carefully laid out a strict set of rules in no uncertain terms for the council to follow. Our previous faction lead, Customable, even made a document specifically for the higher-ups in our faction, which serves to make the council even more fair for everybody. If there is anything wrong with our rules, please let us know. Note, unless you are given these documents ICly, your characters won't be able to use this information.

uhoh I shared our private documents with our sensitive links (that are all broken or outdated) I sure hope nobody gets mad at me ):

Customable

Level 138
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
uhoh I shared our private documents with our sensitive links (that are all broken or outdated) I sure hope nobody gets mad at me ):
The higher up guidelines are transparent to council, there’s no harm in being transparent to players

Users who are viewing this thread