mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

"roll to approach" rule feedback

yeeter

Level 0
IGN: yeeter_

DATE: July 20, 2022

WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Remove having to approach people if your weapon automatically has more range than theirs, or if your weapon is the same range as theirs, same for fists if you are both unarmed.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: 6.6 If you are outside of another player’s range (all ranges are listed in the Weapon Profiles for weapons and players), you must use /roll to get within their range. This is not an initiative of combat. To possibly remove this rule and change it to only if someone out ranges you with their weapon, you have to action to approach and that if you out range someone with your weapon, you don’t have to action to approach. I feel like this will dramatically benefit the server’s community due to how unfair and unrealistic this is, For an example, if an attacker had a Katana (3 block range) and the defender had a Katana as well, (3 block range) The attacker has major assault perms and goes to attack the defender, they’d have to do (/me approaches an win the roll) to use their weapon’s range against the defender. If they win the roll, the defender can simply just (/me stab) carotid or anywhere they want, wouldn’t this make it look like the defender is actually the attacker as they are actually stabbing first?

When it comes to weapons that are the same range, like also a Attacker Spiked bat (3 block range now) and another Spiked bat (3 block range) The attacker always is going to have to roll to approach to use their weapons range and then The defender can simply just do /me hits the bat towards their head knocking them out cold. From what I see and can tell after gangrping for a good amount of years, No one will want to use their weapons if someone has exactly the same range as them, because the attacker has to approach and the defender can just swing first, if the attacker fails to win the roll to approach to use their range, the defender either can just do /me runs or /me approaches as well, then the attacker can just do /me stabs or hits head depending on what their weapons are. I don’t see how that's fair when it’s about weapons that are in the same range, it makes the defender have to be able to hit first which makes them seem more like an attacker, I understand some people might be like “oh the attacker is still the attacker because he’s initiating combat!” yeah but all he did was approach with the intention of using that weapon, but thats going to give majors or minors towards the defender for them to simply stab them or knock them out depending on the weapon. Imagine both opponents just failing the roll to approach one another, people are going to be wanting to lose that roll to approach because they want to be able to action first with their weapon instead of approaching first, I’d want someone to approach me so I can actually use my weapon first, I don’t want to roll to approach them so they can just hit me first, I rather lose that roll to approach and let them try to approach me.

Now let's talk about a longer ranged weapon vs a shorter ranged weapon. Katana attacker (3 block range) vs Pocket knife (1 block range) The katana would have to action to approach the pocket knife using the 3 block range and win the roll, but regardless if they win or lose the roll to approach, the pocket knife is always able to approach the katana, then katana /me stabs wins the roll or lose, the pocket knife can do /me stabs wins the roll or lose as well. The only advantage I see here is the Katana approaching and winning the roll first, then the pocket knife failing its attempts to approach the katana which gives the Katana an action to stab. I still feel like if it is a weapon that outranges another weapon, the longer ranged weapon shouldn’t have to roll to approach to attack, it just makes no sense and ruins the advantage of having a longer ranged weapon seeing as the shorter ranged weapon can simply just approach right after approaching with a longer ranged weapon, I personally don’t see it fair and that there would be no point of purchasing longer ranged weapons with more yen if they don’t even help out as much as expected. I’ve also seen that not many people have been following this rule regardless, as people have been ignoring it and probably don’t agree with it, all I’ve been hearing of and seeing was that people are running up and stabbing one another, unless its a longer ranged weapon vs a shorter ranged weapon, then all I would see is that the shorter ranged weapon would be the only one having to approach while the longer ranged weapon can use the range to its advantage and stab which makes more sentence and you’d have that great feeling of having the advantage of longer range and not having to roll to approach to use your weapons range. A lot of people haven’t been following the rule, so the majority of activities in most gangs discord channels would be voided as well.

The worst part is attempting to kill a cop, I am ok with the new rules but the fact how you still have to action to approach them, You can have any weapon you’d like, from a 1 block range weapon to a naginata 4 block range weapon, do /me approaches a cop and win or lose the roll? You are still going to get /me shot or tased, not only that but it’s a good chance you will lose that roll because cops also do /roll 200 and the max a player can do is /roll 150, this is also making cops super over powered and the only way to kill a cop is by at least having 4+ people for honors. Theres no such thing as having the jump on anyone at all cops or not because even if you out range you gotta action to approach to use your weapons range which makes no sense because I could simply just stand at my weapons range and I am fine. I would like to see if this rule can get removed or not, because I don’t think many people would agree with that rule as I see and hear no one has been following it at all and I’ve talked with others and none of them agree with it, since not many others have been following this rule, I have come to a conclusion if that this rule starts to get enforced more during gang rp situations, It will possibly bring down gangrp more than it already has since not many people already agree with the new KPS rule, which me personally I don’t mind but I feel like more people would want the 6.6 rule taken down more than the brand new KPS rule.

Last edited:

Kuzroo

Level 4
+1 biggest part I agree with is when its same range vs same range, no one will want to approach first because the other person can just simply /me stabs after they got approached on, they already made it hard enough to even get KPS on cops now, before it was tased = kps, arrested for a certain crime = kps, getting shot at with a glock is kps,

Now it's tased = majors, arrested for any crime = majors, getting shot at with a glock is still kps, since best thing we can do really is major a cop, at least please make it a bit more fair for the gangrpers since cops also already roll 200? it would make no sense to approach them because winning or losing the roll still lead to a /me tases or gun shot to chest/head, Or else no cops are at risk for anything because no one will want to use perms on a cop just for majors, no one is going to want to approach a cop because it leads to tase or shoot, meaning cops are almost overpowered since no one is going to want to use perms on them, and kps is already hard enough to get on them, they tell us "cops are meant to be overpowered!, go fight gangs instead" how are we going to fight gangs with this type of approach rule not many people like and is unfair especially when it's same range vs same range no ones going to approach because the second they win the roll to do it, the other person can simply stab or knock them out, plus it's just a major of people taking limbs left and right as if it's the new KPS. If this rule starts getting known more, because I also haven't seen anyone approach, no one is even going to want to fist fight since same range, because the attacker approaches, and the defender can just land the first hit, no one wants to waste an action to approach just for them to be hit first after approaching.

Last edited:

_dissimulate

Level 6
+1 very realistic, and no one actually has been following this nor I seen anyone approach, seeing this rule start to get known and enforced will literally kill gangrp.

NoZinth

Level 195
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
+1

but cops are meant to be a force to be reckoned with, I agree with them rolling 200, but this rolling to approach should be removed

flowersak

Level 120
flowersak
flowersak
Rich+
The rule has been there for a while (it wasn't even part of the criminalRP changes that were made recently). Everyone needs to roll to approach but if you and everyone involved doesn't want to, you can come to an agreement in LOOC first hand (just make sure to screenshot it in case staff involvement is needed) since we encourage it to be worked out with each other.

The rule is there to give a fair chance to people in combat/criminalRP. If you're running up on someone who is unaware you're there, it gives them a chance to react before you cause any damage. They'd have to action to pull out their weapon if they don't have it out already, which gives you a chance to
1. Try to approach again if you didn't win the first roll or
2. Action to attack them if you did win the approach.

In regards to having a longer ranged weapon, if you action to approach and win, the person with a shorter ranged weapon still has to action to approach to get in their weapon range so they can't attack you regardless unless they win their approach. But once again, you can come to terms in LOOC an agreement e.g. 'if I win the approach, is it okay if I action first?' or 'I don't want to roll to approach, can we leave that out?'.

If you're already in range and pull out a weapon, you don't have to action to approach them to use the weapon but approaching them without a weapon out, you would still have to roll. The rule has always been there and we enforce it since it's a rule. But if the parties involved are okay with not following this rule, we're not going to force you to roll for approaching. The rule is there to make it fair and so if people DO want to roll to approach, it is a rule and they're allowed to ask for it. If the rules removed, people who do want to roll for this don't have anything they can do if the majority doesn't want to roll for it.

Kuzroo

Level 4
The rule has been there for a while (it wasn't even part of the criminalRP changes that were made recently). Everyone needs to roll to approach but if you and everyone involved doesn't want to, you can come to an agreement in LOOC first hand (just make sure to screenshot it in case staff involvement is needed) since we encourage it to be worked out with each other.

The rule is there to give a fair chance to people in combat/criminalRP. If you're running up on someone who is unaware you're there, it gives them a chance to react before you cause any damage. They'd have to action to pull out their weapon if they don't have it out already, which gives you a chance to
1. Try to approach again if you didn't win the first roll or
2. Action to attack them if you did win the approach.

In regards to having a longer ranged weapon, if you action to approach and win, the person with a shorter ranged weapon still has to action to approach to get in their weapon range so they can't attack you regardless unless they win their approach. But once again, you can come to terms in LOOC an agreement e.g. 'if I win the approach, is it okay if I action first?' or 'I don't want to roll to approach, can we leave that out?'.

If you're already in range and pull out a weapon, you don't have to action to approach them to use the weapon but approaching them without a weapon out, you would still have to roll. The rule has always been there and we enforce it since it's a rule. But if the parties involved are okay with not following this rule, we're not going to force you to roll for approaching. The rule is there to make it fair and so if people DO want to roll to approach, it is a rule and they're allowed to ask for it. If the rules removed, people who do want to roll for this don't have anything they can do if the majority doesn't want to roll for it.

You still shouldn't have to approach a cop, that makes it super unfair as winning or losing the roll ends up you getting tased or shot since 90% of the time a cop has their gun or taser out, they still have a chance to react even if the attacker doesn't have to roll to approach and can just action to stab, because it's not honor and the defender only has to win the roll, because if you go up behind someone u gotta action to go behind or stab from there and still roll, they can still dodge the stab or prevent you from getting behind them. The rule has been there even before new rule changes but no one really knew and it being enforced doesn't seem to end well, it does make sense to have a /looc agreement as well but most people don't already like the rule as people will use it to their advantage for sometimes they won't action to approach.

For an example lets say a name John, John goes to attack someone with a simple /me and doesn't approach and the other player is fine without being approached on, nothing wrong there. But then John gets attacked and the attacker does a simple /me which now makes John the defender, John can use the /looc "roll to approach me!" to his advantage even though he's never did the roll to approach someone when he attacks, but only tells people to do it when he's being attacked, this is going to confuse a lot of people since most people don't do it and some people are, and want to do the "roll to approach rule" only when they are at a disadvantage, I think removing this rule will be really helpful and more fair to people who especially own longer ranged weapons and also being in the same range as no one wants to approach first when it comes to same range for sure as the other person can just /me hits face or /me stabs.

I know that the shorter ranged weapon pocket knife still has to approach a katana, but why is a katana having to action to approach 3 block against a pocket knife? then what's the point of having a weapon that out ranges others if you still gotta waste an action to approach them, then they can simply /me approaches you or even better, /me RUN! because they are out ranged? you can't even use the jump on them, they already have their chance to defend them selves by simply winning the roll of the stab coming or by seeing you come at them with the katana in hand from a far distance as not most people go in range then action to pull out their weapon and roll for it.

Plus, no one is going to pull a weapon on you or run towards you with one then go in /looc and be like "Oh hey I don't want to roll to approach is that fine with you?" while the attacker is typing that question in /looc, the defender is literally going to either pull a weapon out or just start running before the attacker gets a chance to finish their sentence. And if you think they should plan it in /f msg or dms if there is going to be approaching or not, then the defender is just simply going to metagame that they're about to get run up on and stabbed and possibly have their own gang members ready to call.

Removing this rule of 6.6 If you are outside of another player’s range (all ranges are listed in the Weapon Profiles for weapons and players), you must use /roll to get within their range. This is not an initiative of combat. would do a big favor to avoid a lot of ooc confusion and arguments and a lot of people still to this day keep running up and stabbing without approaching because its pure logic to only action to approach someone when their weapon has more range than yours.

Last edited:

Mariav

Level 211
itsmariav
itsmariav
Omega
+1 for removing the need to roll to approach. 2 years playing and i swear I still get confused with this

Users who are viewing this thread