mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

School Faction Discussion

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I understand the importance of events and activities for people to do, but I'm more concerned with the elephant in the room: the quality and quantity of lessons has significantly decreased over the past few years. As someone who's been active in the teacher faction on and off since 2019, I've seen firsthand the evolution of how classes have looked over the past few years, and have grown incredibly disappointed over time.

Teacher activity over the past 6 months has been 53%. That means that of our roster of 24, only 12 teachers are fulfilling at least 10 lessons per month. In the past, our quota used to be 15 per month, and it seemed somewhat rare for more than a handful of people not make it. It was never perfect, of course, but I don't recall it ever having been this bad.

Classes have also significantly decreased in quality over time; instead of doing interactive and engageable activities, teachers oftentimes plan out actual full academic lessons, which consist either of boring lectures (that they're most likely copy/pasting, which is surprisingly easy to catch) or distributing boring work that doesn't supplement roleplay in the slightest. The last thing anyone wants to do after a long day of school is log onto minecraft and do more school, so why are we actually doing academic lessons? There are plenty of pseudo-academic activities teachers could lead their classes in that would produce much more interesting roleplay, and all it takes to find them is a change in perspective when planning out lessons. Instead, a lot of us put in time to research a specific topic, then put their class to sleep with the most boring thing they'd read in their life.
(Note, I'm not claiming to be perfect or any better than the next guy in any way. I'm inactive as hell, and the only reason my classes are half-decent is because I use my wacky character as a crutch.)
(Note^2, I understand that teachers can put a lot of time and effort into planning lessons. That's not going to change the fact that I would much rather prefer watching paint dry over engaging myself with their 20 minute lecture.)

The previous teacher faction leads have all spoken out against boring activities and encouraged teachers to be more engaging, and even sat in on lessons to observe their faction and make sure they're doing a good job. Our current faction lead, mister Josh "KimiNoUso" ua doesn't pay us quite as much attention, and I've lost track of how many times I've complained about it. Call me a hater, but my man doesn't have the time and/or energy to give (arguably) one of the most important factions the attention it needs. I genuinely think he either needs to get another VP to fill in for him, or just have someone replace him altogether. There are plenty of competent staff members, throw a rock into the crowd of the ones without important roles and you'll hit a good candidate for the spot.

Really, I think SRP's quality would increase tenfold if the teaching factions were whipped into proper shape. Yes, I understand that it is ultimately the responsibility of individual teachers to actually plan out and execute good and proper activities, but it's the responsibility of the faction lead to make sure they're doing that.

I agree that captains have to be like that, that's what I look for every time I have to pick one
haha I slipped through your filter, get pranked idiot B^)

dorian

Level 11
hotwiring
hotwiring
Rich
I understand the importance of events and activities for people to do, but I'm more concerned with the elephant in the room: the quality and quantity of lessons has significantly decreased over the past few years. As someone who's been active in the teacher faction on and off since 2019, I've seen firsthand the evolution of how classes have looked over the past few years, and have grown incredibly disappointed over time.

Teacher activity over the past 6 months has been 53%. That means that of our roster of 24, only 12 teachers are fulfilling at least 10 lessons per month. In the past, our quota used to be 15 per month, and it seemed somewhat rare for more than a handful of people not make it. It was never perfect, of course, but I don't recall it ever having been this bad.

Classes have also significantly decreased in quality over time; instead of doing interactive and engageable activities, teachers oftentimes plan out actual full academic lessons, which consist either of boring lectures (that they're most likely copy/pasting, which is surprisingly easy to catch) or distributing boring work that doesn't supplement roleplay in the slightest. The last thing anyone wants to do after a long day of school is log onto minecraft and do more school, so why are we actually doing academic lessons? There are plenty of pseudo-academic activities teachers could lead their classes in that would produce much more interesting roleplay, and all it takes to find them is a change in perspective when planning out lessons. Instead, a lot of us put in time to research a specific topic, then put their class to sleep with the most boring thing they'd read in their life.
(Note, I'm not claiming to be perfect or any better than the next guy in any way. I'm inactive as hell, and the only reason my classes are half-decent is because I use my wacky character as a crutch.)
(Note^2, I understand that teachers can put a lot of time and effort into planning lessons. That's not going to change the fact that I would much rather prefer watching paint dry over engaging myself with their 20 minute lecture.)

The previous teacher faction leads have all spoken out against boring activities and encouraged teachers to be more engaging, and even sat in on lessons to observe their faction and make sure they're doing a good job. Our current faction lead, mister Josh "KimiNoUso" ua doesn't pay us quite as much attention, and I've lost track of how many times I've complained about it. Call me a hater, but my man doesn't have the time and/or energy to give (arguably) one of the most important factions the attention it needs. I genuinely think he either needs to get another VP to fill in for him, or just have someone replace him altogether. There are plenty of competent staff members, throw a rock into the crowd of the ones without important roles and you'll hit a good candidate for the spot.

Really, I think SRP's quality would increase tenfold if the teaching factions were whipped into proper shape. Yes, I understand that it is ultimately the responsibility of individual teachers to actually plan out and execute good and proper activities, but it's the responsibility of the faction lead to make sure they're doing that.

haha I slipped through your filter, get pranked idiot B^

Perfectly put in every aspect, could not have said it better myself

cho0ii

Level 175
cho0ii
cho0ii
Rich+
I agree with reviving it BUT I AM TELLING U RESET TEAMS 2 DAYS AFTER I JOIN TRACK UR GONNA HAVE HELL anyway good idea revive fact weee

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega

could not be put better. when I was more active on Spartans, I hated being forced to go sit in a class where a teacher would COPY AND PASTE lessons they found off google. If I really wanted to sit in a class, I would IRL. ngl I will say these are the classes I would roleplay acting out more in only because like. . . SOMEONE HAD TO MAKE IT FUN I didn't want to AFK for 20+ minutes. I use to apologize for it, but there's some teachers on here that really get creative with it and think outside the box so now its just . . . you can tell whose being lazy and who isn't.

tbh kinda falls in the whole category stated earlier; hold these roles and leads (such as captains) to a higher standard. if they don't have time, creativity, or energy for it, why do it? In the nicest way it can be said, someone else can do it and have more fun doing it.

Lizalopod

Level 130

I agree with the boring classes part, they should be way more engaging than what they are

I still remember this one time we went to class and the teacher opened with
"HEY STUDENTS TODAY WRRE ALL GETTING HOT DATES"
and proceeded to teach about dating

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
I'm inactive as hell, and the only reason my classes are half-decent is because I use my wacky character as a crutch.)
I felt this way too deeply. But obviously not every teacher needs to have an out of this world, quirky character to carry a dead classroom. The other points are very correct. Activity is dying lowkey and teachers are still trying to copy and paste their lessons. It’s easier to summarize what you RESEARCHED and try to make an engaging after activity after the lecture but maybe some people take it more seriously in wanting to teach real lessons but it doesn’t cross their mind that this is still just a Minecraft roleplay server at the end of the day. There’s students who want to learn something but not every student is willing to sit still for the entire period reading BLOCKS OF TEXT. If I can’t read your detailed description of your character I don’t think I’m able to sit through classes of blocks of text. Even if the information is interesting I’ll phase out of existence eventually.

jaaaayla

Level 199
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+
+1

I really do believe the main problem with the College Faction losing a lot of activity is

1. The exam has really limited the growth of the College Faction.
- Accepting more students would probably be the best solution from my point of view.
2. There is not a lot of player encouragement or engagement.
- I've noticed that there is no or very little player engagement in college events. There are players that are willing to help out with events and do them and that's great and all but overall, there are not a lot of those types of players. I and the other Spartan leads have tried numerous times to fix this, whether it would be wiping the Spartan Event Team or only letting players who are active and want to volunteer. It was only a short-term solution because, within a few months, no one on the team was actively creating ideas for new events and following through with them. Right now, Mar and I are looking at solutions to broaden the communication with factions to help this such as letting Councillors be involved with the captain and Spartan Event Team chat; but only so much can be done. It becomes this never-ending loop where we host events, no one comes, we come discouraged and host no events, and people complain about no events happening; then the cycle restarts.

I do want to mention also that Cloud made an excellent solution on behalf of the council faction where councilors would be assigned to teams and just keep tabs on them. I don't know if other councilors have followed through with that but it's a great solution that should be followed through more; It could even be applied to the Bobcats.

I'll just keep it short but overall, from my point of view. I do not like planning events or activities constantly and consistently if no one actually comes to them or it doesn't feel like the community is interested in them. I can name multiple events in the last month that I've hosted, whether they were flash events or planned events and no one really comes to them. An example was a little camping trip I threw for the Spartan teams and when no one was really showing up, I had to just open the event to the whole faction and cut out parts of the event because it was just really stressful.

Also, regarding what other people are saying, I will say that wiping teams does nothing long-term. It's a short-term band-aid on a problem and I don't think the problem is directly the captains; They do have a major part in it but so does the general community.

S

Mariav

Level 211
itsmariav
itsmariav
Omega
1. The exam has really limited the growth of the College Faction.
- Accepting more students would probably be the best solution from my point of view.
Our next goal is to finish the exams plugin so we can host it more frequently. Besides that, we added a new way to get into college that is by becoming a faculty member - If you follow the requirements, upon resigning you may choose between an adult role or a college bachelor role

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
Throwing my bone back into the ring, I don't think resetting teams will fix much. I do think merging the smaller teams like baseball or basketball and having just one team instead of two might help in a situation where you can't find players/demand is too low.

I also don't think events are the end all be all for "reviving" a faction. An event makes up what? 3 hours of a week? While actively attending classes, being at the school, etc probably takes like 80 hours of the week. The school needs to feel more alive, people need to interact with each other outside of their friend groups and that silly idea I had about sending councilors after teams is because it's a clever way to get that interaction going. Not all characters will speak to each other without reasons, so why not give them one?

If I was better at throwing events I think I'd try to make a school related scandal that players could investigate that could last longer than outside the usual 3 hour period.

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
I still remember this one time we went to class and the teacher opened with
"HEY STUDENTS TODAY WRRE ALL GETTING HOT DATES"
and proceeded to teach about dating
Bro I LOVED Tomoko Miki's unhinged teaching style, where if she was a teacher IRL she would be fired and most likely not allowed within 100 meters of any school. Unfortunately, she's been fired for being irresponsible and intoxicated at work. Really, it's a shame that the revolution she tried to start as she was evading the police and other faculty members never really picked up, I definitely feel like the students could have revolted and done something cool.

But yeah, I wish more people were more creative and interesting with the characterization of their teachers. Like @HighlightedTwin said, the character doesn't need to be absolutely mental, but there should be more of an obligation for teachers to express themselves through actions and interactive dialogue... You know, like somebody who was roleplaying would do.

As easy as it is to just relay your summarized information to people, it's WAYYY more fun for both yourself and your class if you actually have conversations with them, or give your own personal input on their answers. For example, if a teacher asks the class for examples of a certain concept, they should try to elaborate a little bit further on individual answers, instead of just saying "Yeah, that's a good one. Next student?"

yazure

Level 32
Community Team
Builder
yazure
yazure
Notable
1+ish
I mostly agree with you , but I wouldn't say that the SCHOOL STAFF is dying. I'd say that the COMMUNITY is dying. But not dying because they're inactive , but surely because no ideas are coming in mind , because I saw the Bobcats and the school staff rising a lot , which is including Councillors and teams. I just think the spartans need to rise up a but.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE more school events. I'm so tired of hearing "we can't do that bc so and so did that a year ago". Especially in the rivalry sense. I want dances and more things to do at school! I want to see SLT supporting these events and being more active in their faction! I remember getting on college cheer in 2021 and I was SO HYPED for the sports banquet BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED AND I WAS SO UPSET!!! I swear, I'll take a bullet for Maria because whenever I need help she is AT. MY. SIDE. while when I was a spartan I felt like all my hard event planning and work went to nothing and it just made me want to do more events and lose complete and utter drive. I had no help!! I get like SLT have lives outside this and so I won't attack directly mainly bc there's no point in that either!

But I will say since becoming a Bobcat, I have received nothing but support from Maria and Bobcat's around me. But!! Even if my side is thriving, it's sad to see the other side not! How will rivalry work if the other team is inactive and boring?!?! Mar is constantly throwing ideas around with me (for those who don't know, he's the college cheer cap while I'm high school just for context) but sadly, he struggles even getting a decent turn out but he's doing LITERALLY EVERYTHING IM DOING so it makes no sense! But even before mar and even when I joined college cheer back in spring 2021, tryouts were dying. Not just cheer but all college sports and my best guess is that it has to do with exams. We're just not getting the numbers we use too maybe?!

Overall, I feel like this is something SLT needs to put more focus on. Its SchoolRP and the school part is struggling!
I mostly agree on the first part. People usually don't want to do some events because they're already have been done. But still , there are a lot of players (including me) that didnt partecipate to those. So yeah more school events

Demurity

Level 35
One casual thought later I return to this thread because I think we should address one key part of the school faction that always feels unsatisfactory.

I want to talk about the dances. (DUN DUN)
Hey SLT. Love you guys, worked with you guys and all of that. But we are NOT sweeping the fact that the summer dance happened in September under the rug. Bro. Listen, I know life is crazy and so is the server but if you are gatekeeping such a majorly anticipated event to being planned by exclusively 4 people (And usually, it tends to end up being only 1 or 2 people that actually put in the effort to plan...) then at the very least you have to be responsible for ensuring that these popular, groundbreaking and usually most significant school events happen on time and to the best of their ability. Obviously, things will go wrong, and it's no one's fault! But when the same 4 people with the same 2 bosses are continuously put into this position of planning these things, they will run stale because you can only bring so many perspectives to the table.

Let Student Council have a hand in planning the dances. And not just a hand. Hell, give them a blank doc and let them go crazy. AND! AND! Give them the damn credit while you're at it, too.

Yep. A year and a bunch of council leads later, and I am still going to argue this. You guys are saying 'get the community involved!!! We need community ideas to thrive!!!!!' THEN LET THE COMMUNITY GET A CHANCE TO IMPACT THE MOST COMMUNITY-INVOLVING EVENTS!!!!!!!!!

No matter how good or skilled a planner is, if they're constantly controlling the same stuff-- it's going to get stale. That's why captains are switched out. That's why council is composed of so many voices. And it's not like SLT won't oversee or end up needing to greenlight the planned events in question.

Now why do I feel like this is something that needs to be emphasized on? Sure, it's not a huge part of the Academics faction. But players aren't going to be motivated to plan remotely anything when they know they'll never be able to impact the most important events. For all this talk about 'we need community involvement!!!' the community isn't given much guidance or access to get involved in the first place.

Real student councils plan dances. Real teachers and professors help. If my school's SLT were the exclusive ones responsible for outlining my senior prom, I wouldn't show up. The most incredible events are the ones that put players at the forefront, and the Academics faction has always tended to prefer keeping players out and the majority of the responsibilities distributed among 4 people who are typically (as administrators and senior administrators) swamped with so many other things to do that lead to these things unintentionally being...well.......mid.

The community can do a lot but the community is more motivated with the ability to make their voices and ideas heard. People won't come forwards with incredible ideas unless they're given a sufficient amount of control and credit for these ideas. Give prominent contributors to the Academics faction more power (profs, studco, teachers, faculty) or get more SLT. Or both.

Glad to hear that an exam plugin is coming though. Finally!!!!! We can't just keep solving all the community issues with plugins, though.

Mxxkie

Level 155
Mxxkie
Mxxkie
Omega
Damn, this thread kinda makes me want to revive my professor career in culinary arts; those classes were mostly fun. I remember one event I wanted to host for it was a cook-off where the winner's dish is featured in a restaurant (I'd buy the custom). Moving on.

As the college president, I agree with what people have said in this chat. It may surprise you to know that, though slowly, the council is trying to take on more responsibility when it comes to dances/major events. We’ve been barred from doing them, but as leads and ways of thinking have changed and new ideas have risen up to the surface, it’s my hope we can explore new or just fun avenues.

I look forward to the events we have coming up, and I also like to reflect on some events from the past. Remember the Trivia Night event? Though it was a bit rough around the edges, from what I could gauge, most people had a blast! As we speak, I try to foster the idea, at least in regards to events, that we can mix them up a bit more. Not every event HAS to be ICly (Trivia Night), or even if they’re ICly they could swap around in terms of audiences, teams only (Sports Banquet), clubs (Club Rush), maybe something else. Of course the majority of events should include everyone, but it can’t hurt to diversify them a bit more.

I’m not quite sure how much I can say on the matter, but we’re hard at work planning an upcoming event. We’ve been blessed by being given the opportunity to take on a lot and prove ourselves capable. I believe in every single one of the councillors and I know that with everyone’s skills, talents, and determination, I have nothing to fear. I know it’s gonna be a great one, and I look forward to seeing you all there!

Last edited:

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
-1 / 1 (mixed thoughts)
This is going to be a bit of a hot-take for you some of you folks. Although I think it's pretty valid criticism.

This is the first time in years where Spartans are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to rivalry, good job @Mariav for that.

Maybe events (and more of events in general lol) should focus less so on these tagged-players (who y'know make up a small percentage of the playerbase), I'd like to see more club/council hosted events (as there's a lot of chance for newer ideas for events)

There should be more SLT yeah and we should be campaigning for less team resets rather than more (as, a lot of the time all it can do is lower the player approval ratings of SLTs rather than help the overall faction.) Really team resets should be a absolute last resort that happens maybe twice a year at worst, which isn't how I would describe it now.

I'd like to see a return of the fraternity/sorority, it had grown into a bit of a moss pit for OOC nepotism (perhaps alternating/reset leaders every few months rather than ones who cling to their positions like it's their royal throne, less involvement of staff/staff friends etc.) but it's kind of the better alternative to all these player-owned houses at least in my eyes. I don't know why it was removed, probably a very good OOC reason for sure but from an outside perspective, I'd like to see it brought back.

Place somebody like @Alimonino in some sort of support role for fixing teaching (perhaps SLT, alongside Mxxkie and somebody else. Player-operated SLT accounts would be ideal in my eyes.) As yeah, classes are a lot worse these days and it isn't really the fault of those applying.

Honestly, let @Mxxkie go wild with council ran events. I really like what @Demurity had to say if you scroll up to the #32 reply.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
I'd like to see a return of the fraternity/sorority, it had grown into a bit of a moss pit for OOC nepotism (perhaps alternating/reset leaders every few months rather than ones who cling to their positions like it's their royal throne, less involvement of staff/staff friends etc.) but it's kind of the better alternative to all these player-owned houses at least in my eyes. I don't know why it was removed, probably a very good OOC reason for sure but from an outside perspective, I'd like to see it brought back.

Not so much a debate but I can shed a lil' bit of light on this. The fratsoro was always a place of nepotism since as far I and many others can remember. If it wasn't "Samras" group it was someone else's (and that's coming from someone once apart of that "top dog" group [used lightly I didn't know how else to explain it] which total respect it shouldn't of been just that) but it was just being passed on from friend group to friend group. There was a point near the end where we really wanted to invite more college students in regardless of role but at the end of the day Spartans were already on a downclimb like tryouts were dry just as roleplay was so we'd end up letting players in who ended up going on inactivity or quitting or never showing for events etc. It was really hard bc we WERE trying to break away from making it very friend group only but I feel at that point the damage has like. . . years done and the stereotype existed. (Thats my guess at least)

The reason it was removed was simply because "the end of an era". Japan doesn't do fratsoro things at all, so in a Japanese city it seemed no point in having it (this is what I was told). So it was removed and replaced with team housing as a compromise. I know for a fact it wont be coming back any time soon but I really hope someone can come up with some cool idea for spartans and bobcats to have their own like big housing together like that but like. . . not the fratsoro sense? Because it was fun and I think it could create some fun rp. But I very much highly doubt we'll ever get something cool unless some swaggy cool pitch comes.

But 3up the fratsoro tho lol

edit: also bobcats at the time complained a LOT because they didn't have their own fratsoro and it seemed unfair

Last edited:

pitapet

Level 109
pitapet
pitapet
Rich+
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE more school events
ok i agree with this tho even. like before i qit the server and stopped paying attention to srp Like there was literlaly only tryouts with the occasional school dance that was basically just the same thing over and over again but just decorated differently like just more events in general please because i swear there has Not been good events in a while except that one music thing that was just announced that was really cool (but that wasnt even with the school)

also whats up with Just completely removing event team coordinator that wasnot smart

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
Not so much a debate but I can shed a lil' bit of light on this. The fratsoro was always a place of nepotism since as far I and many others can remember. If it wasn't "Samras" group it was someone else's (and that's coming from someone once apart of that "top dog" group [used lightly I didn't know how else to explain it] which total respect it shouldn't of been just that) but it was just being passed on from friend group to friend group. There was a point near the end where we really wanted to invite more college students in regardless of role but at the end of the day Spartans were already on a downclimb like tryouts were dry just as roleplay was so we'd end up letting players in who ended up going on inactivity or quitting or never showing for events etc. It was really hard bc we WERE trying to break away from making it very friend group only but I feel at that point the damage has like. . . years done and the stereotype existed. (Thats my guess at least)

The reason it was removed was simply because "the end of an era". Japan doesn't do fratsoro things at all, so in a Japanese city it seemed no point in having it (this is what I was told). So it was removed and replaced with team housing as a compromise. I know for a fact it wont be coming back any time soon but I really hope someone can come up with some cool idea for spartans and bobcats to have their own like big housing together like that but like. . . not the fratsoro sense? Because it was fun and I think it could create some fun rp. But I very much highly doubt we'll ever get something cool unless some swaggy cool pitch comes.

But 3up the fratsoro tho lol

edit: also bobcats at the time complained a LOT because they didn't have their own fratsoro and it seemed unfair

I feel like the fratsoro is in itself a pretty good idea anyways even if it isn't Japanese in the slightest (in fact, it was probably just a silly random blanket staff response, you know the type). Honestly what could work is some housing complex the school rents out that is just this semi-apartment block that houses all the teams (hs/col) that can just act as a rp hub for rivalry outside of school hours. Constant noise complaints, that stuff (I think that'd be cool no?), i'd place it next to the saiky estate where that tiny zen garden is, take up all those surrounding houses. It's very out of the way which is good and is just a unused spot kind of.

also lol... I tried so hard to give bobcats their own fratsoro (but they ruined that for themselves), built it myself in the estates but they were too lazy to do anything with it so that last part is really their own fault (they had access to it for 5 months across 2-3 football captain changes, had any chance to turn it into something great). Kind of a sad story to end on actually.

I hope a better compromise comes up that allows more space for player housing instead of just a row of 40 team houses lol, even if it isn't the fratsoro lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread