Event Team
yBonnu
yBonnu
Omega+
1683298289952.png
Photography Credit: Presas Castillo

- 05/05/2023 -

“I’m bored.”

An overused phrase that baffles every parent of a child growing up around technology. “Boredom? How can you be bored? Back in my day when we were bored we made mud pies and snuck around the woods trying to collect bugs.” Well, things are different nowadays. Technology has progressed, we’re evolving. We’ve adapted to rely on all of the incredible things humans have invented. It can be argued that we rely on it a little too much. I think that there are many beautiful alternatives to curing boredom that many of us don’t consider. If our elders want us to put down the tablets, then let's give it to them. Here are some of the things you can get up when you’re bored, specifically during school. Lets face it, school can be boring. Your friend is unwell and stays home, you spend the rest of your day sitting in class, drawing inappropriate doodles on the desk. Let's fix that.

My first suggestion is basic, and probably expected. Sports are a great way to stay fit and active with your peers. Our school has generously gifted us with multiple playing fields to choose from, and I think they are a great way of killing a few hours. Your options are football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, dodgeball, track and swim. See, so much to choose from! I myself am a cheerleader, yet I still enjoy getting my feet wet in different sports. It's always good to have some friendly competition with your friends too. Especially when you win. There’s also no harm in asking somebody of a respected sports team to give you some tips and advice on their dedicated sport. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort, it pays off. I was rubbish at football and basketball, however I’ve personally been practising in my spare time, and have seen improvement. If I can do it, you can too! Baseball, I’m coming for you next. Not only are there your regular sports, there are also the cheer mats and the public gym. If no cheer practice is on, there’s nothing stopping you from showing off your flexibility, or even some rehearsing your tryout routine. Confidence is key, my friends. The gym is also a great place to let off steam, the school has installed some awesome equipment you can use free of charge. I recommend taking advantage of that whilst you’re still a teenager or young adult.

1683298380998.png

Next is the library. Now before you all yell at me and start scrolling on Onrain, reading is a good way to keep your mind occupied. If the real world is stressing you out, and you feel like you need an escape, don’t jump on the internet. It might help distract your mind but, it won’t do you any good in the long run. Books help distract us but also keep our brains functioning. They’re the healthy alternative. Books have a bad reputation with teens, mainly because you’re forced to read them in class. However, in a library, nobody is choosing the book for you. It’s your choice, with so many options to pick from. Any genre, hell, you can even choose all about science if that interests you! The library has a small library card fee, and then you can read as much as you’d like. The library has a brilliant collection that you can get lost in, I personally will suggest reading ‘Till Death’. It’s an interesting thriller with a plot that captures your attention. If I haven’t convinced you to pick a book yet, then that’s alright. The library is still an awesome place to hang out. You can get lost in the shelves, find a corner to time out in, have a quiet chat with some faculty. I promise you, the librarians are lovely! Don’t knock it until you try it, that’s what I say.
My next suggestion is a little different, something you wouldn’t expect as much I would assume. The school has a cosy little greenhouse next to the big ol’ gymnasium. As somebody who loves gardening herself, this is a great place to collect your thoughts or your emotions. Get your fingers dirty and take care of some flowers! The greenhouse is open to everybody, and is beautiful. One thing I will say is that it can get a little hot in there, so leave your jackets outside. If you’ve never done any sort of gardening before, don’t worry. I suggest asking the gardening club for some help! Those guys are the experts, or you can always use the library computers to do some of your own research. Warning: the computers are very old and slow. Some of them have viruses, so stay cautious. Personally, I love to water the flowers, it’s very refreshing for myself and the plants growing. I’m not a huge fan of being on my phone, as I have no real reason to be, I spend a lot of my time surrounded by the people I love. Music is an exception, if you use your phone for music, I forgive you.

My last suggestion for this report is, having a chat with councillors and faculty. Sounds odd, I know. However I myself find it to be quite pleasant, sometimes I like to hand out water bottles to those working. Treat others how you wish to be treated and karma will find its way around. Talking to your friends is great, but don’t feel like you have to isolate yourself when they stay home. There’s hundreds of kids on campus, one of them ought to be a potential new friend. If the classroom scene doesn’t help you get any work done, I also suggest heading to the tutor’s office. That way you can be taught one-on-one with no distractions. This is great, especially for those of you prepping for your exams. I wish you good luck with those! If the stress of exams is getting to you, you can also head up to the caretaker’s office. You can talk to them about any issues or problems you’re having in school, and they’ll help to steer you in the right direction. It’s also good to remember that all of the teachers, professors and faculty want to see you do well, and if you’re kind and considerate and let them do their jobs, they’ll be able to help you improve and get to where you want to be. Having dreams is pointless if you don’t make the moves to work towards them. Yes, good things happen to bad people, bad things happen to good people. Don’t let that be a reason to do nothing, good things also happen to those who wish well, and work hard.

I hope this little rant of mine gave you some ideas or inspiration to do something different. Change up your daily routine, fixate on something new, find yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread