mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

[SUGGESTION] Disallow text-to-speech in roleplay.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
IGN: ImKana
DATE: 12/28/21
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:

I don't know if this has been suggested before or if it's even thought about at all really in the community, but it's something that has bothered me for the longest time. Text-to-speech is what a lot of RPers with characters that can't speak use as a method of communication. While it was creative at first, It defeats the point of your character not being able to speak. I believe it should be encouraged that people put effort into writing a sign-language application if they'd like to communicate.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:

While I don't believe this is a huge issue, it could help make the server a more roleplay-minded environment. Disallowing text-to-speech would finally encourage proper mute characters and stop quickly making characters with no thought into their story/lore. If you're going to make a mute character, you shouldn't cut corners, apply for sign-language or roleplay not being able to speak at all. TTS makes things a lot more boring, and when people send TTS messages through IC, nobody reads them off as an actual TTS message, and they read it as a standard message being sent, which again defeats a mute character's purpose.

Of course, I am open to any opinions regarding the topic and would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Please remember that I am writing this at 2:30 AM; if the grammar sucks, don't blame me :sob.

Naishoten

Level 40
Naishoten
Naishoten
Omega
I play a mute character, I only picked up on this habit because people were getting annoyed with me not being able to speak to them and someone suggested I use TTS. Before I started doing this I had a book that I would throw back and forth with people to communicate, but this would often get stolen which kinda sucked.
I am neutral on this suggestion as I will play a mute character regardless of the outcome of this. If this gets approved I foresee a lot of people magically becoming non mutes.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
I play a mute character, I only picked up on this habit because people were getting annoyed with me not being able to speak to them and someone suggested I use TTS. Before I started doing this I had a book that I would throw back and forth with people to communicate, but this would often get stolen which kinda sucked.
I am neutral on this suggestion as I will play a mute character regardless of the outcome of this. If this gets approved I foresee a lot of people magically becoming non mutes.
My point is though, if you’re playing a mute character you probably shouldn’t be trying to communicate that bad anyways. The whole point of having a mute character is so you can RP as a mute, not simply talk through your cellphone. Thank you for your input!

Luca

Level 68
Traccia
Traccia
Rich
-1 As good of an idea this sounds, it ultimately limits ones characters playability. There really is no issue with someone using TTS to speak. Thinking of it from an outer-perspective it will reduce the amount of mute characters; as @Servicedoggo stated; using a book is an unreliable source in the end. It has a high chance of being stolen.

TTS is still an act of roleplay, being as discrete. It is a way to counteract the use of /language or creating a Language application, but in reality it does not make much of a difference. As far as a person's lore or character development; it is equally included and/or can be dependent on the person.

will!

Level 53
Community Team
Lore Team
lirically
lirically
Notable+
+1

JSL is a language on the server for a reason. If you're too lazy to make a JSL application, don't consider creating a mute character. Full stop.

Naishoten

Level 40
Naishoten
Naishoten
Omega
My point is though, if you’re playing a mute character you probably shouldn’t be trying to communicate that bad anyways. The whole point of having a mute character is so you can RP as a mute, not simply talk through your cellphone. Thank you for your input!
She isn't mute do to choice. So she actually wants to communicate. She also has JSL.

My character has a defect in their vocal cords making it so that it is extremely painful for them to speak. This is why she is well mostly mute.

Anyway I'm not going to fully get into my chars lore in some feedback post.

Last edited:

maraa

Level 210
touchmemara
touchmemara
Omega
+1, JSL was created for a reason, its not hard to make an app, don't be lazy.

TTS is stupid, made my point.

Polar

Level 102
PolarLoLs
PolarLoLs
Notable
-1 As good of an idea this sounds, it ultimately limits ones characters playability. There really is no issue with someone using TTS to speak. Thinking of it from an outer-perspective it will reduce the amount of mute characters; as @Servicedoggo stated; using a book is an unreliable source in the end. It has a high chance of being stolen.

TTS is still an act of roleplay, being as discrete. It is a way to counteract the use of /language or creating a Language application, but in reality it does not make much of a difference. As far as a person's lore or character development; it is equally included and/or can be dependent on the person.
But with this being implemented it will reduce the number of mute characters that were created off the fly with no lore and such, which is a good thing so we get more proper played mute characters

maraa

Level 210
touchmemara
touchmemara
Omega

no, cause im tired of seeing TTS: AHHAHAHA like no one wants to try playing out a robotic laughter in their head. people never read tts as how they're actually read out, they read them as normal text. Then would use words a tts wouldn't normally say out ?? to me it just seems as though they're too lazy to make a language app !! or people just do it when they have no langue slots left, and if that is the case, just don't make your character mute !!!

Naishoten

Level 40
Naishoten
Naishoten
Omega
Honestly after viewing this it has also helped me see how far I have strayed from what my character originally was by using this TTS.

If this gets denied I will take what I have realized and apply it to my character. Will I still use TTS. Probably sometimes. But I will mostly rely on staying completely silent or JSL if the other part understands it.

One issue I foresee with this though if it does get accepted is that most teachers do not know JSL so how are these students supposed to participate in class. Idk I guess that is part of being that character but still.

maraa

Level 210
touchmemara
touchmemara
Omega
Honestly after viewing this it has also helped me see how far I have strayed from what my character originally was by using this TTS.

If this gets denied I will take what I have realized and apply it to my character. Will I still use TTS. Probably sometimes. But I will mostly rely on staying completely silent or JSL if the other part understands it.

One issue I foresee with this though if it does get accepted is that most teachers do not know JSL so how are these students supposed to participate in class. Idk I guess that is part of being that character but still.
the point you made about the teachers and stuff is a valid point but irl, its a challenge most mutes face, not everyone in the class would be willing to learn sign language for just one person, where I live, we have one mute girl at our school, a teacher is usually seen with her. while one teacher is teaching the class, the other teacher seen with the girl sits in a corner, and signs the lesson for her to understand.

pashy

Level 183
+1 TTS feels stupid like not only does it make JSL useless... Whoever came up with even the idea for it د_د

angelbaby

Level 4
IGN: ImKana
DATE: 12/28/21
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
I don't know if this has been suggested before or if it's even thought about at all really in the community, but it's something that has bothered me for the longest time. Text-to-speech is what a lot of RPers with characters that can't speak use as a method of communication. While it was creative at first, It defeats the point of your character not being able to speak. I believe it should be encouraged that people put effort into writing a sign-language application if they'd like to communicate.

HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
While I don't believe this is a huge issue, it could help make the server a more roleplay-minded environment. Disallowing text-to-speech would finally encourage proper mute characters and stop quickly making characters with no thought into their story/lore. If you're going to make a mute character, you shouldn't cut corners, apply for sign-language or roleplay not being able to speak at all. TTS makes things a lot more boring, and when people send TTS messages through IC, nobody reads them off as an actual TTS message, and they read it as a standard message being sent, which again defeats a mute character's purpose.

Of course, I am open to any opinions regarding the topic and would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Please remember that I am writing this at 2:30 AM; if the grammar sucks, don't blame me :sob.
staff don’t even allow TTS lol

alicethingy

Level 25
poisonedthingy
poisonedthingy
Rich
+1 !! I understand people wanting to use TTS just I think it's better to use the purpose of JSL. Many people have the language applied to their accounts, plus its weird to hear the whole laughing thing through a robot voice. etc etc

Naishoten

Level 40
Naishoten
Naishoten
Omega
As a teacher Im saying, a lot of teachers know JSL and sometimes Im also repeat stuff in JSL if I know there's someone deaf in the class
I always ask before a class fully starts, a lot of the time I get no answer so I use TTS. Hmm maybe I'm just getting unlucky. Idk.

Okay, lets be honest, what your saying makes full since. I understand what your saying and its actually not a bad idea. AGAIN not a bad IDEA. But in practice it wont float. You have mute people, and people like me who know JSL, but when i speak to my non hearing friends a bunch of people loose there minds. In fact when one of my mute friends (in game) got mugged and didn't have a phone and i was translating for them it was a mess. Many, Many people complained telling them just to use TTS. I know of so many Mute people who would love to not use it, but because of backlash from people, they have no other choice. Now there could be some limit or something to TTS, cause not every shop keep, or teacher knows it. But if you remove it completely its just going to make it harder for the Mute people. Not because they cant use it, but because OTHERS will get mad and basically fight them for NOT using it.

Users who are viewing this thread