mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

[SUGGESTION] Disallow text-to-speech in roleplay.

flowersak

Level 121
flowersak
flowersak
Rich+
I can see that, though as Toto wrote earlier, the option is always there to create another character. The whole point of roleplay is improv, and you go with whatever happens to your character.
If your character has been developing for months, it's not just the case of making a new character. Put it like this:

You've had a character for a long time, you happen to end up with someone getting major on your character through some basic means (maybe a fight that lead to a KO), they cut out your characters vocal chords. This is a very developed character, throwing them away because of this would be hard. I know if Saeko ended up losing her vocal chords, I'd still want to RP her out because I've had her for the last eight months and she has a lot (club-leader, a bunch of friends and family, reputation) but since there's a lack of JSL being applied for, it would be nearly impossible to communicate with others.

This is a character with a lot of development, maybe a lot of connections and a lot going for them, why just get a new character when there are options available. If your main character is on a team, has responsibilities and essentially rather strong connections with a lot of people, just getting rid of this character is essentially wasting everything you've put towards making this character as developed as it is. People are using improv, they're adapting by using text to speech. While I'm not opposed to them applying for JSL, there are only three language spots and sometimes people can't afford to drop a language to get JSL (family languages, languages already applied for that have meaning). There is also a huge rise in people applying for languages such as Italian, French, Korean - mute people can't use these.

JSL used to be a big thing when I first joined the server and now no one uses it, so it would be nice to see it be used but also because people aren't using JSL anymore, people are unable to communicate through it without a direct translator. As right now, perms are always being thrown around as an issue due to how easy it is to get perms on characters for just doing the right thing and reporting crime - this can lead to a character being forced to become mute. KPD are constantly stumped because no ones reporting crimes due to the perms that come with it and removing TTS will just make this a lot harder especially since people may be unable to get JSL and therefore are scared their character is going to be forced to be mute.

As Vroosi stated, it could cause for major perms to just be made into removing vocal chords and if people are getting rid of characters because of this, it's 10x more easy to wipe out a family/gang by doing that instead of just . . roleplaying out KPS properly and with reason.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
If your character has been developing for months, it's not just the case of making a new character. Put it like this:

You've had a character for a long time, you happen to end up with someone getting major on your character through some basic means (maybe a fight that lead to a KO), they cut out your characters vocal chords. This is a very developed character, throwing them away because of this would be hard. I know if Saeko ended up losing her vocal chords, I'd still want to RP her out because I've had her for the last eight months and she has a lot (club-leader, a bunch of friends and family, reputation) but since there's a lack of JSL being applied for, it would be nearly impossible to communicate with others.

This is a character with a lot of development, maybe a lot of connections and a lot going for them, why just get a new character when there are options available. If your main character is on a team, has responsibilities and essentially rather strong connections with a lot of people, just getting rid of this character is essentially wasting everything you've put towards making this character as developed as it is. People are using improv, they're adapting by using text to speech. While I'm not opposed to them applying for JSL, there are only three language spots and sometimes people can't afford to drop a language to get JSL (family languages, languages already applied for that have meaning). There is also a huge rise in people applying for languages such as Italian, French, Korean - mute people can't use these.

JSL used to be a big thing when I first joined the server and now no one uses it, so it would be nice to see it be used but also because people aren't using JSL anymore, people are unable to communicate through it without a direct translator. As right now, perms are always being thrown around as an issue due to how easy it is to get perms on characters for just doing the right thing and reporting crime - this can lead to a character being forced to become mute. KPD are constantly stumped because no ones reporting crimes due to the perms that come with it and removing TTS will just make this a lot harder especially since people may be unable to get JSL and therefore are scared their character is going to be forced to be mute.

As Vroosi stated, it could cause for major perms to just be made into removing vocal chords and if people are getting rid of characters because of this, it's 10x more easy to wipe out a family/gang by doing that instead of just . . roleplaying out KPS properly and with reason.
Why not instead take the fact your character is now mute and turn it into an interesting story arc for them? Limitations to your character can make for more interesting RP experiences and story that benefits the SRP universe.

flowersak

Level 121
flowersak
flowersak
Rich+
Why not instead take the fact your character is now mute and turn it into an interesting story arc for them? Limitations to your character can make for more interesting RP experiences and story that benefits the SRP universe.

Roleplay experiences come from interactions but you can't really get them because people tend to just . . not want to bother with your character if they can't talk. Like I said, I'm not against using other forms of communication, but it's not really a case of just getting a new character if they can't speak. It's a tough one, especially since there's a lot of things that could limit said person from applying for JSL or being able to communicate efficiently. It's not really fun to have to just hope people are going to interact because you're unable to initiate conversation on your own.

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Roleplay experiences come from interactions but you can't really get them because people tend to just . . not want to bother with your character if they can't talk. Like I said, I'm not against using other forms of communication, but it's not really a case of just getting a new character if they can't speak. It's a tough one, especially since there's a lot of things that could limit said person from applying for JSL or being able to communicate efficiently. It's not really fun to have to just hope people are going to interact because you're unable to initiate conversation on your own.
I can see where you’re coming from, but there are ways to initiate conversation or roleplay experiences without having to talk at all. If nobody comes to you, come to them instead.

layzah

Level 45
layzah
layzah
Omega+
My point was that if you're playing a mute character, isn't the point to be mute? Why do you desperately need to communicate with people in the first place?

Sometimes people are stripped ICly from their vocal cords, which makes them temporarily mute. They cannot control if they don’t want to be mute. This happens all ICly so you cant control anything that happens in the future which means you have to be prepared for it. Adding up MuteRP is actually quite interesting since its a new thing to explore and learn in the SRP franchise and getting rid of TTS which people use to talk once they get their vocals taken, makes being Mute completely useless, and then having to throw away that character.

Becoming mute doesn’t mean you just want to separate yourself from the community, and not communicate, But rather a new experience in communication.

But thinking about it now, if people want to communicate without always having to pull out their phone, They could possible get a surgery at the hospital for a robotic type voice transplant (forgot the naming for it exactly) which gives them the ability to talk again. . Then again GangRPers would strip that away from you again. But for the transplant it would cost some yen for you to get it, so possibly like 300k or less, or more. Depends on how much they want to sell it for.

That could also be beneficial to the SchoolRP community if they’re ever stripped from their voicebox making them mute, so they actually have a way to talk again other than having to pull out a phone and do /me 50x times.

Somehow just brain stormed this at 3am, lm a natural!

Lizalopod

Level 130
Sometimes people are stripped ICly from their vocal cords, which makes them temporarily mute. They cannot control if they don’t want to be mute. This happens all ICly so you cant control anything that happens in the future which means you have to be prepared for it. Adding up MuteRP is actually quite interesting since its a new thing to explore and learn in the SRP franchise and getting rid of TTS which people use to talk once they get their vocals taken, makes being Mute completely useless, and then having to throw away that character.

Becoming mute doesn’t mean you just want to separate yourself from the community, and not communicate, But rather a new experience in communication.

But thinking about it now, if people want to communicate without always having to pull out their phone, They could possible get a surgery at the hospital for a robotic type voice transplant (forgot the naming for it exactly) which gives them the ability to talk again. . Then again GangRPers would strip that away from you again. But for the transplant it would cost some yen for you to get it, so possibly like 300k or less, or more. Depends on how much they want to sell it for.

That could also be beneficial to the SchoolRP community if they’re ever stripped from their voicebox making them mute, so they actually have a way to talk again other than having to pull out a phone and do /me 50x times.

Somehow just brain stormed this at 3am, lm a natural!
It's school roleplay not sci fi roleplay, AFAIK that stuff doesn't exist yet right?

Still agree with TTS removal being kind of dumb, let people who wanna use it, use it. If you don't want to use it, just don't imo

I'm unsure why there's a still a big ass fight for something as simple and as basic as the capability to text to speech in game lol

DaniNoSombrero

Level 15
youhatekamii
youhatekamii
Omega
It's school roleplay not sci fi roleplay, AFAIK that stuff doesn't exist yet right?

Still agree with TTS removal being kind of dumb, let people who wanna use it, use it. If you don't want to use it, just don't imo

I'm unsure why there's a still a big ass fight for something as simple and as basic as the capability to text to speech in game lol
i don’t want to disrespect you, but this robotic implant is a thing, it would be a better way to solve this then TTS

xBonnie

Level 70
Community Team
Media Team
Event Team
yBonnu
yBonnu
Omega+
Exactly, like i mentioned below on my previous comment: I dont understand why people are bothered by a simple [TTS] tag being in front of messages and a phone being held, if you do not agree with this kind of roleplay, i'd just suggest not doing it yourself, instead of trying to take this right away from those who find its use necessary.

I believe this comment was made without reading the full thread, as i mentioned some problems with the JSL language being used as the only means of communication, it can be found here:
I read the full thread. Like I mentioned, the more people who apply for JSL the more it can be used, I see it as a win-win. The more people want to communicate with mute or deaf characters, the more likely they will apply for JSL and thus more people will follow along.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
I read the full thread. Like I mentioned, the more people who apply for JSL the more it can be used, I see it as a win-win. The more people want to communicate with mute or deaf characters, the more likely they will apply for JSL and thus more people will follow along.
Then shouldn’t JSL be encouraged more rather than trying to disallow the use of one little thing? Like encouraging it for everyone to apply for not just targeting someone’s usage of TTS?

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Then shouldn’t JSL be encouraged more rather than trying to disallow the use of one little thing? Like encouraging it for everyone to apply for not just targeting someone’s usage of TTS?
If you just encourage it, most likely nobody will do it. People need to be pushed to actually put the effort in for their character, remember, these characters are each individually their own stories. Imagine how boring it would be if you were writing a book and the main character was mute, and they just used TTS as their method of communication. What was the point of adding that character flaw? It could've been played off a lot better with the narrative focused on how the character overcomes their communication issues, or how they learn to live with them.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
If you just encourage it, most likely nobody will do it. People need to be pushed to actually put the effort in for their character, remember, these characters are each individually their own stories. Imagine how boring it would be if you were writing a book and the main character was mute, and they just used TTS as their method of communication. What was the point of adding that character flaw? It could've been played off a lot better with the narrative focused on how the character overcomes their communication issues, or how they learn to live with them.
OH so we’re more concerned about the balance of methods of communication used by mute characters Okok that makes sense. But like what if mute characters already went through the struggle and with the new smartphones, they made a simple breakthrough with how they can now communicate with people who don’t know JSL? I think someone already stated certain disadvantages and slow downs that comes with TTS. If someone made a proper guide about mute character usage of TTS and JSL, then the rest of us as a community can single out people who use TTS purely instead of balancing out their hardships of roleplaying and trying to communicate their thoughts and emotions and needs through both methods depending on who they’re talking to. Swag

layzah

Level 45
layzah
layzah
Omega+
OH so we’re more concerned about the balance of methods of communication used by mute characters Okok that makes sense. But like what if mute characters already went through the struggle and with the new smartphones, they made a simple breakthrough with how they can now communicate with people who don’t know JSL? I think someone already stated certain disadvantages and slow downs that comes with TTS. If someone made a proper guide about mute character usage of TTS and JSL, then the rest of us as a community can single out people who use TTS purely instead of balancing out their hardships of roleplaying and trying to communicate their thoughts and emotions and needs through both methods depending on who they’re talking to. Swag
You kinda just spoke 100 facts in those sentences, goddamn

Kana

Level 130
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Of course, this would be fine in my opinion, but who has actually done that? I'd like to see a guide made about how to properly RP a mute character, it'd be very interesting. One of the main issues though is that the robot voice is an extremely monotone character choice. I still think there are better options that can further push the storyline, such as pointing at things, or desperately struggling to tell people what's on your mind. TTS just seems like the easy way out, with no consideration for the narrative and only about you OOCly.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
Of course, this would be fine in my opinion, but who has actually done that? I'd like to see a guide made about how to properly RP a mute character, it'd be very interesting. One of the main issues though is that the robot voice is an extremely monotone character choice. I still think there are better options that can further push the storyline, such as pointing at things, or desperately struggling to tell people what's on your mind. TTS just seems like the easy way out, with no consideration for the narrative and only about you OOCly.
Yeye I get what you saying. It is an easy way out. TTS is just communication without the body language. It’s the same as talking to people without actioning anything. At the end of the day it’s down to the people to spice up their roleplay experience and as much as I would want to make a guide I have never stepped into that realm before so I assume the much more edumacated and those who roleplay as a mute that used both methods would be able to :>

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
Thank you for your feedback, however after discussing this with the rest of the staff team we have come to the decision to deny this.

- We feel that this would only restrict roleplay more.​
- Anyone can use text-to-speech In-Character, however if your character is mute (or simply wish to use sign language), then you can apply under Character Authorisation​

* Note that if we feel players are abusing text-to-speech, or trolling in anyway, punishments may be given out. However, we generally encourage players to roleplay any way they wish to so long as it aligns with our rules

Users who are viewing this thread