Not open for further replies.

sake

Level 60
vokaloid
vokaloid
Rich
IGN: Phantwaun
DATE: 1/15/2023
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Whenever the President spot opens for the Student Council (for either Highschool or College), there should be an annual Student Council Presidential election. Now, hear me out: Every spring or whatever season would be best for an election, all members of the council are nominated for Vice-President (it doesn't have to be all of the members, but it could be at the Faction Lead's discretion on who's fit & who isn't). This would work as what's usually called a 'primary', something preliminary. The two council members with the most votes are both vice presidents, or the one council member if there's already someone with the vice president role. This would then mark the beginning of the actual election, where the two candidates are campaigning ICly for the President's spot. It would allow the council to really get to know the student body ICly, and I believe this process would encourage more roleplay & activity with the council, and also contribute to certain school events.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: I believe this process would encourage more roleplay & activity with the council, and also contribute to certain school events. It could also encourage more players to want to apply for the Student Council, and in general, make school roleplay more interesting.

Last edited:

sake

Level 60
vokaloid
vokaloid
Rich
+1/-1
The idea seems cool on paper, but almost always, the president spot already goes to the vice-president.
I'm aware! But as my suggestion states, I believe that an election would be more interesting than the role just being passed down. The current vice president is still in the running, and it gives them an opportunity to show why they deserve that spot. I feel as though the student body and the council aren't the most familiar with each other, so how would the student body establish whether that person is suitable without having their own say in who should represent them?

imgayforwomen

Level 110
byewilliam
byewilliam
Rich
I'm aware! But as my suggestion states, I believe that an election would be more interesting than the role just being passed down. The current vice president is still in the running, and it gives them an opportunity to show why they deserve that spot. I feel as though the student body and the council aren't the most familiar with each other, so how would the student body establish whether that person is suitable without having their own say in who should represent them?
the vice-president is usually decided through the council lead. And usually, it's also someone who's familiar with the council.

sake

Level 60
vokaloid
vokaloid
Rich
the vice-president is usually decided through the council lead. And usually, it's also someone who's familiar with the council.
As I said in the original post (which is quoted below), it would be at the Faction Lead's discretion.
all members of the council are nominated for Vice-President (it doesn't have to be all of the members, but it could be at the Faction Lead's discretion on who's fit & who isn't)

Rebel

Level 53
Neutral, more so towards -1

As someone who has been on Council before and see how it is ran also with knowing people and have worked with council before when I was not even council, yes this may seem like a good idea but it also comes with a lot of issues, for example you might get someone who doesn't understand council or someone picked for president due to bias voting. This would just cause more issues than good, currently all the presidents are hand picked that know how council should be ran and that they are qualified, that is how it is given which has been like that for years since council first started being a thing and nothing has been wrong with it before. There is also no way to prevent bias picking either, and that is what will happen most likely.

jaaaayla

Level 199
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+
IGN: Phantwaun
DATE: 1/15/2023
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Whenever the President spot opens for the Student Council (for either Highschool or College), there should be an annual Student Council Presidential election. Now, hear me out: Every spring or whatever season would be best for an election, all members of the council are nominated for Vice-President (it doesn't have to be all of the members, but it could be at the Faction Lead's discretion on who's fit & who isn't). This would work as what's usually called a 'primary', something preliminary. The two council members with the most votes are both vice presidents, or the one council member if there's already someone with the vice president role. This would then mark the beginning of the actual election, where the two candidates are campaigning ICly for the President's spot. It would allow the council to really get to know the student body ICly, and I believe this process would encourage more roleplay & activity with the council, and also contribute to certain school events.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: I believe this process would encourage more roleplay & activity with the council, and also contribute to certain school events. It could also encourage more players to want to apply for the Student Council, and in general, make school roleplay more interesting.
+1

This is a great idea because it would breed more drive and competition for the council and also involve the school majority in council activities and probably gather more support for certain councilors; There should be more integration between the school council and the students.

Mxxkie

Level 155
Mxxkie
Mxxkie
Omega
Unfortunately, this has been suggested numerous times before and each time it has been denied. From my understanding there's just too many cogs in this sort of machine. However, we have implemented something in the middle whereas now, at least councillors get a say in who could be elected to be vp. Unfortunately, from what I remember, giving everyone a chance to vote could lead to slew of problems, favoritism, electing unqualified individuals, etc. It's a nice idea, but as it's been denied in the past, I'm unsure if it'll get accepted in the future and if so, will need a carefully constructed system to go along with it.

suneater

Level 90
Hey! Hey everyone! Having something like this wouldn't hurt the council!!!!!
The people in the running from my knowledge would be someone who was already in council, and if its really that much of an issue having someone who might not be as experienced in the council getting it, have higher ups pick who's in the running. This is just something that would incorporate more roleplay between council & just regular students. AND!!!! we literally lose nothing by having this. Like quite literally if someone bad is elected then SLT can override the decision, just let there be that roleplay!!!!!

Rebel

Level 53
Hey! Hey everyone! Having something like this wouldn't hurt the council!!!!!
The people in the running from my knowledge would be someone who was already in council, and if its really that much of an issue having someone who might not be as experienced in the council getting it, have higher ups pick who's in the running. This is just something that would incorporate more roleplay between council & just regular students. AND!!!! we literally lose nothing by having this. Like quite literally if someone bad is elected then SLT can override the decision, just let there be that roleplay!!!!!
I understand what you are saying, but this will cause much more issues than you think, yes if they let the Faction Lead pick who runs and the students vote, there still would be bias picking as Mxxkie said thats what will happen and council will most likely suffer from this and gain more issues than it actually needs. Not everyone on council is fit to lead a faction along side staff, that is how it works. Not everyone will be fit, and this wont bring more role-play this will only bring conflict.

Hirathex

Level 252
Senior Admin
Black Market Lead
Police Lead
Hirathex
Hirathex
Omega+
+1

I like the idea and the thought of more roleplay & competitiveness seems fun. It could be similar to how the Deputy Mayor elections work, and only specific people would be running. At the end of the day I feel like it’d be something interesting for the school faction, more of that is never a bad thing

suneater

Level 90
I understand what you are saying, but this will cause much more issues than you think, yes if they let the Faction Lead pick who runs and the students vote, there still would be bias picking as Mxxkie said thats what will happen and council will most likely suffer from this and gain more issues than it actually needs. Not everyone on council is fit to lead a faction along side staff, that is how it works. Not everyone will be fit, and this wont bring more role-play this will only bring conflict.
Exactly why SLT will pick people who are fit for the position. They wouldn't pick someone who isn't fit to run the faction in the first place. Not that hard
Also it quite literally would bring more roleplay lol. Hence why it'd be roleplayed out

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
+1 !!!!!!
GIVE OTHERS OPPORTUNITIES! We did a city election, let's do a school one!
I love the idea so much. SLT can even like 2-3 of the most hard-working councilors for it! IT'D BRING EVENTS TO SCHOOL! IMAGINE FUNNY SPEECHES AND STUFF!!!!!! Councilors can host school events but never do; this could be GREAT incentive to get them active and see the council thrive as well as notice people's hard work on the council. I love the idea so much

moonboops

Level 10
spxcegrl
spxcegrl
Rich

Well yes, this idea is good on paper and is realistic to what schools do in the real world, there can be issues with this.

President is given to the vice president that's already in the position. Theres also a lot of issues that can arise from this. A few examples would be a student getting elected that has no idea how council is ran, has never been in council before, or has no leadership experience. Another one is bias. Someone getting elected just because they know all the sports teams or because they are the prettiest/most handsome student in the school, or the most popular, just to name a few. Student Council should not be a popularity contest. Presidents are picked based off of many other factors like their skills and activity. This risks someone being elected that doesn't know what they are doing and overall taking council down.

This is just something that would incorporate more roleplay between council & just regular students.
We can incorporate more ways that students and the council can interact.

if someone bad is elected then SLT can override the decision
I understand this but its better just to pick someone that is actually suited for the role instead of going through a whole election, then having to remove them and scramble to pick another president.

There should be more integration between the school council and the students.
Again, there are other ways to do this than an election.

I see no point in elections. And according to Mookie, its already been decided against. And if SLT can just override the decision, then whats the point of an election? Its not even an election at that point. An election is meant for the students to have a say in who gets president, not schools staff. And yes, I've been in a school election before in highschool and the school staff don't really have any say in who gets chosen as a candidate. You just sign up, and thats it. A true election would have little SLT or school staff involvement. If SLT has say in who becomes a candidate, its not really an election anymore.

Last edited:

Rebel

Level 53
Exactly why SLT will pick people who are fit for the position. They wouldn't pick someone who isn't fit to run the faction in the first place. Not that hard
Also it quite literally would bring more roleplay lol. Hence why it'd be roleplayed out
Thats not what I meant, even if they aren't picked all of council are fit for president, only a few are typically. and sure it would.. but would cause role-play conflict

sake

Level 60
vokaloid
vokaloid
Rich

Well yes, this idea is good on paper and is realistic to what schools do in the real world, there can be issues with this.

President is given to the vice president that's already in the position. Theres also a lot of issues that can arise from this. A few examples would be a student getting elected that has no idea how council is ran, has never been in council before, or has no leadership experience. Another one is bias. Someone getting elected just because they know all the sports teams or because they are the prettiest/most handsome student in the school, or the most popular, just to name a few. Student Council should not be a popularity contest. Presidents are picked based off of many other factors like their skills and activity. This risks someone being elected that doesn't know what they are doing and overall taking council down.

We can incorporate more ways that students and the council can interact.

I understand this but its better just to pick someone that is actually suited for the role instead of going through a whole election, then having to remove them and scramble to pick another president.

Again, there are other ways to do this than an election.

I see no point in elections. And according to Mookie, its already been decided against. And if SLT can just override the decision, then whats the point of an election? Its not even an election at that point.
That's why it wouldn't be as simple as a pick & vote process kind of thing, the two candidates would campaign AGAINST each other. It'll be a timely thing, the Presidential vote wouldn't be immediate. Bias is always prevalent no matter what, but with campaigns ICly allows the candidates to be creative and demonstrate their ability with event planning & connection with the student body to eliminate that as much as possible. There isn't much interaction between the Council and the student body, and elections would be a great opportunity to repair that. Like I've said, the Faction Lead would have discretion over who they feel is suitable, but the campaign period could work as something similar to a 'trial' to see who REALLY cares about the school ICly. Council elections are something that is common in almost every education system there is, it wouldn't be something out of the ordinary to see in a SchoolRP server.

Mxxkie

Level 155
Mxxkie
Mxxkie
Omega
Pondering this, I could see some potential implementation.

It would merely be an expansion on what we have now. We put forward two or three names for the position of vice presidency, like we do currently, the people vote, and we take that vote into consideration.

At the end of the day, I feel that that's what it'd mostly be, a consideration. Despite popular belief, SLT and council don't interact as much as you'd think, and though their authority is important to us, to me the most important thing with a lead is their relationship with the rest of the council, the people they have to interact with daily, and work alongside. Backpacking off of some of the other points made, due to some of the roles within the council currently, this would be more along the lines of electing a vice president, rather than a president.

I did a bit of time traveling, reading up on the numerous other suggestions like this one, and it prompts the idea of where some of the other voting events are such as SOTM or POTM or TOTM, perhaps enforcing those more often could help in terms of rp and or all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread