players online

Removing the /setage timer.

TheMelonQueen1

Level 8
TheMelonWhoLived
TheMelonWhoLived
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: TheMelonQueen1
What's the title of your suggestion?: Removing the /setage timer.

What's your suggestion?:
The /setage timer. Why is it a thing? Say you have a character that you need to be 25 or so. But you also have a character that's 32. You can't play both in the same day, because of the /setage timer lasting 300+ hours to even be used! /rpname doesn't have a timer. /setdesc doesn't have a timer. So why limit the ability to have different ages? I feel it should be removed as a whole. And use of /setage to be set to unlimited (As long as you have proper roles of course)

How will this benefit the server and community?:
It'll benefit the community by removing something that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Truly it's odd to see if there is no other restrictions to character description commands. It will also lead to a higher age diversity in adult characters and highschool. Everyone's afraid to change their age because of the long timer! But if it's removed we'd see more characters with a spectrum of ages.

DarkEclipic

Level 157
Community Team
Lore Team
DarkEclipic
DarkEclipic
Omega+
How it use to be was a 7 day timer and we asked for a 1 day timer. and I believe before then we had to ask staff to change our age forward or backwards. I think the 1 day wait between setages is completely fine, it gives you a chance to focus on certain characters.

I see why you would want a 0 wait time between /setage but it just not needed

Level 71
Dojoro
Dojoro
Fundraiser+
The /setage timer. Why is it a thing? Say you have a character that you need to be 25 or so. But you also have a character that's 32. You can't play both in the same day,
first of all, if you intend on playing two character in the same day then I advise thinking more indepth when your /setage. Which one are you going to play for the day? We also have /character's for a reason, to hold multiple roles, descriptions, ages and locations all in one click. If you ask me no one in the community really brings up this issue because it isnt much of an issue since /character got added.

Hamburger

Level 185
LocalHamburger
LocalHamburger
Fundraiser+
I believe this was suggested before, but I’ll say it again.
Age is much more major compared to age and desc, age can affect how you roleplay in factions or your rolling amounts. We also got /character so it’s not that difficult…

kustomzero

Level 129
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
As much as I want to +1 this I believe if this did get removed the /setage command would most likely get abused such as changing different adult characters with different ages multiple times a day. Which is why the 24 hour timer was implemented to prevent it being abuse. Which is why I’ll be -1 this.

andrei

Level 45
StardusCrusader
StardusCrusader
Rich+
Just wait it out for a day, if you can't wait it out then don't change the age number

tayfun

Level 67
tays2fly
tays2fly
Rich
I believe if this did get removed the /setage command would most likely get abused such as changing different adult characters with different ages multiple times a day.
I'm sorry, but how is that abusing it? How is that any different from, say, having 2 adult accounts, and hopping on back and forth to play a different character? Some people don't have more than one account, and the timer can REALLY mess with them wanting to play different characters.

EDIT: Another thing I can't help but address is the fact that not everyone has more than one adult tag, therefore the "use /character" argument makes little to no sense.

Last edited:

kustomzero

Level 129
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
I'm sorry, but how is that abusing it? How is that any different from, say, having 2 adult accounts, and hopping on back and forth to play a different character? Some people don't have more than one account, and the timer can REALLY mess with them wanting to play different characters.

EDIT: Another thing I can't help but address is the fact that not everyone has more than one adult tag, therefore the "use /character" argument makes little to no sense.
Without the timer, players can potentially and rapidly change the ages of their character or to a different character multiple times a day. I do know that not everyone doesn’t have multiple adult accounts and that it can be frustrating if you want to change your character that is a different age than your current /setage. However, this command and timer was implemented to be used thoughtfully and responsibly. If you have multiple characters and not multiple accounts then the best thing you can do is plan ahead of time and decide what character you’ll be using for the day and then the next day you can change to another character after the timer cooldowns. Or use the /character command feature to change characters to meet your character’s needs.

For an example of how this can be abusing the command, let’s say someone has two characters one is 25 the other is 30. Both of these characters have scenarios going on, the first one starts with the 25 year old character. Once that scenario is finished they decide to switch to the 30 year old character that has another scenario. And it continues on within a hour or less who knows. Without the cooldown timer, this can disrupt the continuity and roleplay depth between their characters because they keep switching to a scenario that pops up for them both. With this cooldown being put into the server, it provides players to give more thought and development towards their characters and their lore. Which can help promote a more consistent roleplaying experience with their characters and for others who are involved with their characters.

Popo

Level 31
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
For an example of how this can be abusing the command, let’s say someone has two characters one is 25 the other is 30. Both of these characters have scenarios going on, the first one starts with the 25 year old character. Once that scenario is finished they decide to switch to the 30 year old character that has another scenario. And it continues on within a hour or less who knows. Without the cooldown timer, this can disrupt the continuity and roleplay depth between their characters because they keep switching to a scenario that pops up for them both. With this cooldown being put into the server, it provides players to give more thought and development towards their characters and their lore. Which can help promote a more consistent roleplaying experience with their characters and for others who are involved with their characters.
This is a very weak defense on your part. What you are trying to insinuate here is that you want to prevent people from continuously swapping between their characters with the intention of forcing them to play a single character throughout the day? It's ineffective, someone may have two characters to precisely develop and having to make them wait 24 hours for something like this is entirely unnecessary. Perhaps completely removing the timer, or decreasing it even more would be the better choice here.

kustomzero

Level 129
circusjax
circusjax
Omega
This is a very weak defense on your part. What you are trying to insinuate here is that you want to prevent people from continuously swapping between their characters with the intention of forcing them to play a single character throughout the day? It's ineffective, someone may have two characters to precisely develop and having to make them wait 24 hours for something like this is entirely unnecessary. Perhaps completely removing the timer, or decreasing it even more would be the better choice here.
I’m not forcing them to play on a single character for a full day as the /character profile feature is a thing. All I did was provide an example on how the set age command without a timer can be abused.

Popo

Level 31
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
I’m not forcing them to play on a single character for a full day as the /character profile feature is a thing. All I did was provide an example on how the set age command without a timer can be abused.
A lot of Yapanese on your part. You quite literally said the entire point of this is to refocus the entirety of the consistent roleplay on a single character throughout twenty four hours and now you back up from your point? The thing is that the only way this could be abused is through criminal roleplayers changing their age, but even here I am just proposing a reduction in the timer instead of fully removing it.

Why do you expect me to play a character consistently for twenty four hours, without wanting a little change like swapping to a different character? That is in no form or way abusive, and just allows more consistency with different characters which completely contradicts all of your points here.

tayfun

Level 67
tays2fly
tays2fly
Rich
That kind of doesn't make sense. How does continuity even play into it? We're talking about two different characters with different ages.
And even then, you still haven't demonstrated or explained how that would be abusing the command.

Infi

Level 130
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
To clear this up I spoke to staff and they basically explained to me that setage has a limit to avoid abuse. The abuse would entail rapidly changing your age to avoid scenarios (mainly in GangRP). An example being if a player is say in powerplant and about to be approached & attacked they could change their age down to a green tag to avoid conflict. Or another example being changing your age down to green to run from point A to point B without getting noticed by police.

Basically removing the limit would require more moderation on the playerbase than there needs to be.

Hope that clears up the debate here

wethecreature

Level 95
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
+1

I find that making the limit shorter instead of removing it entirely would be better. I feel like all of the -1s provide little reasoning as to why this would actually be bad other than "abuse" and I understand that if we remove the limit entirely there is a chance for some bad apples to abuse it. Honestly, if it is that big of a problem reducing it entirely I think it should simply be reduced to an hour.

To clear this up I spoke to staff and they basically explained to me that setage has a limit to avoid abuse. The abuse would entail rapidly changing your age to avoid scenarios (mainly in GangRP). An example being if a player is say in powerplant and about to be approached & attacked they could change their age down to a green tag to avoid conflict. Or another example being changing your age down to green to run from point A to point B without getting noticed by police.

Basically removing the limit would require more moderation on the playerbase than there needs to be.

Hope that clears up the debate here

This issue won't be a thing if we reduce it to an hour. It's not like someone can avoid that conflict in the thick of it if the cooldown is only a couple of hours. Also, if someone does this, they can be reported for it. Another thing is that even with the current cooldown that is still a risk. If you're like me and you rarely change the age of your characters, you could (if you were a bad apple) abuse it whenever neccessary, which isn't cooldown related at all.
Without the timer, players can potentially and rapidly change the ages of their character or to a different character multiple times a day. I do know that not everyone doesn’t have multiple adult accounts and that it can be frustrating if you want to change your character that is a different age than your current /setage. However, this command and timer was implemented to be used thoughtfully and responsibly. If you have multiple characters and not multiple accounts then the best thing you can do is plan ahead of time and decide what character you’ll be using for the day and then the next day you can change to another character after the timer cooldowns. Or use the /character command feature to change characters to meet your character’s needs.

I feel like just changing characters multiple times is not any abuse of power. I don't completely understand how this will disrupt roleplay as these are two different characters and it's not like they're going to switch up int he middle of roleplay (typically). Also, I feel like having shitty characters isn't abuse either, and the cooldown is not going to stop people from having them. I see where you're coming from but I don't think there is that much of an issue with it.

Infi

Level 130
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
This issue won't be a thing if we reduce it to an hour. It's not like someone can avoid that conflict in the thick of it if the cooldown is only a couple of hours. Also, if someone does this, they can be reported for it. Another thing is that even with the current cooldown that is still a risk. If you're like me and you rarely change the age of your characters, you could (if you were a bad apple) abuse it whenever neccessary, which isn't cooldown related at all.
It is cooldown related. And as you said "they can be reported for it" ties right into my statement of giving staff members more to have to deal with when it's a feature that truly isn't necessary or heavily impacts roleplay. I'm more against it than for it purely because it gives staff more to monitor where it just isn't necessary. As I said, the reason it can be abused is "it would entail rapidly changing your age to avoid scenarios (mainly in GangRP)" which I believe is a completely valid reason. Even with an hour cooldown it would still end up with similar results of abuse.

milkyram

Level 17
milkyram
milkyram
Omega+
so, while i do get where the people who are against it are coming from, i still don't think you should have to wait an entire day to change ages. the amount of times i've been frustrated because i wanted to play one adult character that's 21 but didn't want to have to wait a whole 24 hours just to go back to 26 for 98% of my characters... it doesn't even have to be an hour, it could be 6. & sure, you can put the age in the description if you're unable to change it, but not everyone will read the description. they'll just see what the age is & keep it pushin'.

ANYWAYS, +1

wethecreature

Level 95
wethecreature
wethecreature
Rich
It is cooldown related. And as you said "they can be reported for it" ties right into my statement of giving staff members more to have to deal with when it's a feature that truly isn't necessary or heavily impacts roleplay. I'm more against it than for it purely because it gives staff more to monitor where it just isn't necessary. As I said, the reason it can be abused is "it would entail rapidly changing your age to avoid scenarios (mainly in GangRP)" which I believe is a completely valid reason. Even with an hour cooldown it would still end up with similar results of abuse.
what I'm trying to say is that even if we keep a 24 hour cooldown GangRPers can still do it, though I understand what you mean since there might be more occasions in which this issue occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread