coupe
Notable
result-9.png

OOC (Out-Of-Character) Information:

What is your In-Game-Name (IGN)?:

girlimstevelacy
other accounts are jamgin and ximoc

Do you have Discord and a microphone? If so, what is your username?:

My discord is NIKO#9715 | I have a microphone and I use it frequently.

List your timezone and country:

EST | United States

Describe your activity:

8/10
Due to it being summer break where I live, I've had a lot of time to play SRP and RP with my characters. I'm normally on my alt, ximoc where I play as Orochi Shibusawa, and sometimes on my main, jamgin, where I normally play Tsugi Etsuji. I've been active on the server since November of 2020, going as various names during my time. Before November, I had played once or twice, and that was when Taketatsu was still a thing. Most of my activity now consists of P2L combat and CrimeRP where I run a yakuza called SHIBUSAWA-IKKA, along with JockRP and football bobcat stuff. Outside of the server, I write lore and character backgrounds/events for fun.

Do you have any previous bans? If so, list them below:

Link any significant applications (e.g., Roles/Teams, exclude languages):

What is your motivation to apply for the reporter role?:

I've been exploring my options on the server for writing positions and reporter is one I've been in towards the restart of the faction when it was still a part of the government faction. I want to come back to it, and after getting recommendations from the senior reporter, I decided to give it a shot. I'm also majoring in journalism at my high school and I would like to be able to practice my writing on something fictional, like SchoolRP! I'm also, applying with a character that was previously with the faction so it'll be cool to revisit that old character.

School is starting for me on the 10th, so activity will vary when school starts, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have any experience with writing? What is your relationship with writing?:

I've stated this in my other two applications, but I've been writing on and off since I was a little kid. I won't go into detail about my unnecessary childhood cause, but just know I've been writing for a long time. I take AP journalism and journalism/creative writing classes at my school, and I've even posted some of my works here (lore documents & past reports). I've also gotten more confident in my ability to write reports and expand my writing outside my comfort zone.

Are you aware of - and will follow - the set of rules provided to you?:

Of course.

Why should we accept you over others?:

My experience and enthusiasm for writing align well with your faction's needed activity. Regardless of quota, you can count on me to push out reports when needed, and I'm willing to be active. I'm also not just using this role for an adult rank as I already have one, I'm applying for the role because I genuinely missed being in the faction. I'm reliable and I'm creative. In both OOC and IC, I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone to achieve my goals. I also have some ideas for the faction.

1659480243798.png

Do you understand you have to stay completely neutral with all reports? (Your report can't have any OOC or IC bias towards a specific group.)

Of course.

Do you trust that you will be able to stay active and complete the monthly quota?:

Yes, if there are days/weeks where I can't be active, I'll be sure to let you know.

Summarise what you imagine work as a reporter is:

Working as a reporter is not an easy job, and it's a lot more hands-on than other jobs involving writing. The term "reporter" is a very vague and umbrella term for lots of other types of reporters. A good example is an investigative journalist, a reporter/journalist who usually focuses on crime, corruption, exposure, and war in their reports. Some examples of these journalists are Jake Tran and Hind Hassan from VICE. Investigative journalists are known for spending a lot of time and a lot of resources investigating a single topic. That could be proving corruption in the government, proving that someone is a murderer, etc. Investigative journalism is also my personal favorite, and it is what I focus on in school.

A day-to-day schedule for a journalist is normally a mixture of two things, interviews and writing. Most of these are done in their office(s). Journalists are also expected to gather info on topics outside of their office, going out into society and gathering their evidence through recordings, interviews, and photography.

IC (In-Character) Information:

(This section is written from the perspective of my character)

Full Name:

Iwata Shojiro.

Preferred Name/Nickname and Title (e.g., Ms, Mr)

Mister works, my pronouns are he-him.

Current Age (25+):

I'm 32.

Past job/work experience:

I've been working in the field of journalism since I was in high school, but I've worked in many different jobs in the past. I'll list the more uh. .important ones below, oldest to most recent.

[FREELANCE CRIME JOURNALIST (KYOTO & YOKOHAMA)]
[PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR (KYOTO)]
[INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST FOR TV TOKYO (TOKYO)]
[NEWS REPORTER & INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST FOR KARAKURA NEWS (KARAKURA)]
[FREELANCE CRIME JOURNALIST (YOKOHAMA)]

Degree/qualifications:

I went to Yokohama National University in Yokohama and majored in journalism and minored in creative writing when I was 23. I have a bachelor's degree in both, but my experience since then definitely grew.

Nationality and born location:

I'm Yamato-Japanese and I was born in Kyoto, Japan.

Phone Number:

My phone number is (030)-817-8863, feel free to call me any time.

How would you describe yourself in under 150 words?:

Monotone. I've been told by many people, even my sister...Oto- that I lack empathy. Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I'd assume it is a bad thing. I guess I can use that to my advantage, however. I guess you could say I'm stubborn. . maybe ambitious? My mom called me that a lot. I just like to get stuff done, I have that worker mentality. Oh-- and I hate loud noises. THOUGH HOWEVER-! I have learned from past mistakes. Working for Karakura News helped expand my writing, and I'm excited to put it to use.

What are you interested in writing about? How will you achieve this, and would you consider going out of your comfort zone?:

I'm interested in making money. I'm interested in figuring out stuff. I specialize in investigative journalism and I still- strongly believe that I'd do bad writing in a cheerful setting, but I'm willing to go out of my comfort zone if it helps people out. My goal for the second time working under this company is to further expand on past topics, beyond just crime, even if it's what I'm good at. I love going around and finding interviews, tips, and jobs on my own, this it'll make it easier for me to do my job.

What are your expectations for the job?:

I expect the job to not be easy, and to be exciting. Since I was a reporter, crime has only grown, and the public and the police must know about such crimes. I'll have to put both feet forward to meet demands from the public. I'm willing to do a lot to meet my goals. I expect people to not be very polite to me, I'm a journalist. My job is to be nosy. Who likes nosy people? I sure don't. I'll have to find ways to work around that hate, especially as an investigative journalist.

Do you have a criminal record? If so, list the crimes below:

I uh. .punched a cop after he tried to force me into his car. .does that count?

Fluent Languages (Underline your native):

Japanese, but I'm learning how to speak Mandarin.

1659482290173.png

PROMPTS:

Stories told in these prompts are stories made in my head, these didn't happen in RP. The interview prompt is also split into two parts because it came out really long lol.

8/2/22
IWATA SHOJIRO

EXAMINING THE SOURCES OF CRIME IN KARAKURA

Ever since Karakura exposed its market to foreign trade, large (and extremely wealthy) business families like the Herrington and Akihito families have brought their wealth to the island, using that money to expand the island's influence, and its infrastructure, buildings, education, and even agriculture. These families brought great things, but they also brought bad things. Those two families that I mentioned both have one thing in common, they all use their money for illegal, or barely legal, practices. The Herrington family was known for dealing in Karakura's weapons trade, and the Akihito family's presence in the world of the yakuza promote crime and gray-line work.

It isn't just these large families that don't use their money wisely, it is also street gangs like Kamaitachi and ZONE 3 that wreak havoc on the city. All of these gangs and families have one thing in common, they're all in it for money. The solution would be to create more jobs, but convicted criminals aren't able to find much work, especially in a tradition-based nation like Japan, where even having tattoos can get you excluded from the most low-brow of jobs. I've been able to identify three reasons for the high crime rate in Karakura.

THE ECONOMY

The Karakura Housing Crisis is a story that many can relate to, a story of homelessness and overcrowded apartments that even I've had to deal with. Karakura's average GDP per capita is 39,285 USD, a 1% decline from 2021. Hong Kong's GDP per capita in Hong Kong is 49,661 USD, a much more developed city with a higher crime rate and poorer population has a higher GDP per capita than Karakura. That might not seem like a surprise to you, but it's concerning considering Karakura's population is A LOT less than Hong Kong's, and the average pay for one shift as a cashier here at Karakura's most popular shops is ¥150,000, which roughly translates to 1.128 thousand USD. The only problem is that these jobs are extremely scarce, jobs in Karakura are scarce in general as hiring is first come first serve for a lot of shops.

THE HOUSING CRISIS

Housing in Karakura is also scarce, homelessness isn't an uncommon thing and most apartments in Karakura's Shopping District are packed with sometimes more than 4 roommates. Houses for sports teams are made for students who don't have proper housing. Share houses were established by the city to balance out the homeless problem, it helped, but it didn't do a whole lot.

LACK OF PROPER EDUCATION AND PARENTING
The average age to be a convicted felon in Karakura is 18 years old. That is already a bad start for those trying to get a good education. It's an international standard to not let convicted felons work at your shop, and all corporate jobs require a background check. It is also not uncommon to see parent-less students or students studying abroad in Karakura. Without a proper parental figure there to watch their child, it isn't hard to convince a young, impressionable child to join the life of crime. Yakuza like the Akihito Clan and the street gang known as Kamaitachi are already known for that.

Even if those three reasonings sound irrelevant, they are still large problems and causes for crime in Karakura today.

4/23/22
IWATA SHOJIRO

Hello, Yokohama! I was able to snag an interview with a local philanthropist, Yōhei Sasakawa, the author of the classic 1997 manga series SUKEBAN! We discussed his goals with his philanthropy, some of his early works as an author, and how he came to be the man he is today! This should be an interesting interview for those aspiring to work in volunteering and non-profits.

IS: Hello Mister Sasakawa, how are you doing today?

YS: I'm doing great, thanks for asking!

IS: That's great! So, let's cut right to the chase as we do not have much time. . . So, Mister Sasakawa, you grew up here, in Yokohama, yes? What was your childhood like?

YS: I was born here, in Yokohama to my mother and father. My mother was a housewife, and my father, a salaryman. I had a relatively calm childhood, with good structure, but money was always an issue growing up. We were always scrapping for bits of change, and my father was lucky enough to get a paycheck weekly, but the weekly paychecks were less than usual.

IS: Kind of an odd practice, hm. . Tell me about your education, was it easy getting educated while growing up poor?

YS: I've always been stubborn, especially when it came to learning. If I wanted to learn something, I wouldn't give up! You could say we're alike in a way. I had always loved writing, and writing is an easy task, you don't have to spend tons of money on textbooks, no no. When I would come home from school, I'd rip pages out of my journals and notebooks and I'd doodle for hours, my neighborhood pals would think I was dead I was in there so much!

IS: Y'know, I've always been a fan of your work, and I know many people are as well. .how do you keep up with fan suggestions and ensure your readers are pleased with what you and your team create?

YS: Well, you can't make everyone happy, especially when you're writing manga. With manga or any piece of literature, you must stay with the plot of your story. I also have to study past books, but I'm always coming up with new ideas for Sukeban.

IS: Sounds interesting. I know that a lot of the profit made from Sukeban goes to philanthropy and charity, correct? Tell me more, what inspires you to donate? What's your reasoning?

YS: I donate to charities and schools because I don't want kids to have to go through what I went through. Children should be able to have constant, and safe access to school materials so children and adults alike can grow. This new generation mustn't be left behind, and poverty is no exception.

IS: I like your way of thinking . . . Tell me a bit about your lifestyle, what is it like living as a famous mangaka?

YS: It's fun, I love being able to do what I love and being able to make money while doing it. I love making connections with readers in person, meet and greets, book giveaways, and merchandise. I love it! I love being able to use my success for something that benefits the community and not just me.

IS: If there was one thing you could change, what is it?

YS: I'd probably change how I first spent my money. I wasn't the best at being financially stable, buying sports cars, staying in penthouses with attractive women, and wasting a lot of money. I'm glad now that I can use my money for something better.

IS: Sheesh . . . I'd probably do the same thing haha! Now, you run a charity of your own, right? Tell me about it.

YS: Ah, yes! Charities are base of what I focus on, mine focuses on educational funding and giving away food to the poor. I know - it sounds like an interesting mix, but those are the two things I struggled with the most as a child. I felt like a charity would be more special if I could relate to the struggles I'm helping but to an end.

IS: What's the name of your charity?

YS: My charity's name is Second Harvest.

IS: Interesting. . . You've been doing charity for how long now?

YS: I've been doing charity for a while, around 11 years now.

IS: Do you believe Second Harvest is doing good for the community? Have you seen any drastic changes?

YS: I was born and raised in Yokohama, I know the ins and outs of this city. Poverty is something that my own neighborhood struggled with when I was younger. Second Harvest has donated billions of yen to impoverished communities across Yokohama. Small businesses, families, schools, wherever my people need help. We actually funded the renovation of a high school recently! Supplies, infrastructure, the building itself, Second Harvest did that.

IS: I might know what high school you're talking about! Glad to see the city I've lived in for so long is being improved by amazing people like you, Sasakawa. Now - one more question. Do you have any goals for the future? Some things you'd like to see happen within your charity organization?

YS: Oh for sure! One of our biggest missions is to, as I mentioned earlier, improve education in the area. Funding high schools and daycares in financially-struggling neighborhoods are something we are proud of. We're also planning on rolling out a local business fund for small businesses in need. The current economy is making the people of Yokohama struggle, my team and our volunteers are doing whatever we can to help.

IS: That's great to hear! . . Y'know I know this cool noodle shop down the street from here, it could really use that fund. Well, anywho, I'm afraid our time is up! It was great meeting you! I really enjoyed our interview and I'm looking forward to seeing what you and Second Harvest are working on next!

YS: Of course! It was meeting you as well.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 6.36.50 PM.png

Last edited:

Aania

Level 166
Administrator
News Lead
Aania
Aania
Omega+
Accepted!

Upon reviewing your application, you have been deemed fit for the reporter role!
Please DM Aania#0117 once you've acknowledged your application so that I can set up your roles!

Users who are viewing this thread